Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best Shoegazing Band?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.11.2006, 02:37 AM   #41
Tone Bender
empty page

Tone Bender has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Definately The Swirlies (Blonder Tongue Audio Baton), Medicine (Shot Forth Self Living), Drop NIneteens (Delaware), Ecstasy of St. Theresa (Susurrate) and one of my faves, "In The Presence of Nothing" By The Lilys, probably the best shoegaze I've ever heard.
Tone Bender is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 03:45 AM   #42
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
Ride aren't bad but I haven't gotten into a lot of shoegaze music outside of MBV unless you consider jesus and mary chain shoegaze.
Old 05.11.2006, 02:47 PM   #43
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
slayer

when i saw them live, they were sometimes staring at their shoes

that's what shoegazer means, right?

Nope. The term actually refers to bands that have a pop style leaning, but use extremely high amounts of guitar noise (feedback, distortion, cool effects). The term shoegaze literally refers to the guitarists staring at the ground to check the effects pedals
LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 07:47 PM   #44
soapbars
the destroyed room

soapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's asses
i saw a band called persil live the other night, they were just a two piece band advertised as a shoegazer/dream pop band, apparently they did 3 john peel sessions, i was a little disappointed at how shoegazey they werent but still enjoyed their set,

anybody heard much of their stuff?
soapbars is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2006, 04:00 PM   #45
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
I liked the first Telescopes album (with the Perfect Needle), before they signed to Creation to sound like Chapterhouse & others

yes! Telescopes first album Taste was awsome, they were like an angrier punk version of spacemen 3 or loop. After they signed to creation they just sucked. But Taste is a severly underated album.

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 06:56 AM   #46
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Loop, by a long long way.
yeah!

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 07:17 AM   #47
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Bender
Definately Drop NIneteens (Delaware).
I had forgotten that one. How I miss that album. At that time I was about to be broke but not that much & I decided to sell some records. It's the only one I miss. The saddest thing is that they disappeared & that I can't find it anywhere. The cover was beautiful (sleeve I mean) (& they paid some sort of hommage to SY by covering... Madonna, a fine version of Angel)
As for the Telescopes, Taste is still available in CD. Never heard Loop, never heard Spacemen 3, but always thought the record had more white noise than any J&MC
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 04:29 PM   #48
Confusion is Dante
little trouble girl

Confusion is Dante has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onani Nic
When you think about Isis are sort of shoe-gazie
PsyOpus is more shoe-gazey than Isis.........

My bough never breaks, I don't stumble into anything
Confusion is Dante is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 04:30 PM   #49
Confusion is Dante
little trouble girl

Muse.....Muse.........Muse...........
And they're coming out with new material this year.

Old 05.14.2006, 04:33 PM   #50
Confusion is Dante
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor dan
confusion is dante-

i believe the term shoegaze is about 15 years old. certainly, most bands of the genre died out by the time grunge hit the uk...
I just find it to be odd that i have listened to most of these bands mentioned, but I haven't heard the term 'shoe-gaze' until last year.
I was being a bit sarcastic. There are far too many genres and sub-genres for me to worry about them all.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth