Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page humour and national characteristics
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.05.2007, 07:41 AM   #1
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I went to a comedy show last night where part of the comedian's subject matter was the way that when he did a few shows in the US he fell totally flat because the audience just did not get his humour.

There seems to be a strong link between a nation's humour and the general demeanour of its people. In England we do not like to shout about success, it seems a brash egotistical thing to do, and our humour reflects this. The English humour is very self-focussed and self-deprecating, concentrating on our own shortcomings, as an individual and as a nation.

On the other hand, in the US seems to be no embaressment in being loud and proud about acheivement, and lack of success is, well, failure, and is almost a guilty secret. Humour seems to be much more outwardly-aimed and success based.

However, British society seems now to be becoming much less coy about success and material possessions, and I can see the time coming when the national trait of finding humour in failure starts to disappear, and humour, like so many other things, becomes globally homogenised.

We're becoming used to more and more experiences being the same no matter where in the world you are, the fact that you find a Starbucks and a Gap in most major towns wherever you are in the world being an easy example. That is bad enough, but I can't help thinking that it would be awful if cultural experiences went the same way, but I think it's going to happen.

Sure, lack of understanding of another nation's humour can lead to silly little conflicts (we see it on here all the time), but aren't those national differences a wonderful thing.

Is this just me thinking too much on a Friday afternoon, or is it something that's apparent elsewhere too?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 07:48 AM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer British humo(u)r (most of the time), but a lot of American's really "just don't get it", and think that it's "too dry".

I insist that they are all just brainless jell-o molds who need something that's in their face before they understand it.

ok, now it you'll excuse me, I'm typing with only one sock on and I WOULD get laughter if I arrived at work like this.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 08:00 AM   #3
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I don't understand your characterization. American shows like The Simpsons and South Park are self-focussed by the very nature of being satirical. Also not all comedians are the same. There are many comedians that blur the line between cult status and popularity. I wouldn't think Mitch Hedberg's stand up was all that success based.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 08:05 AM   #4
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i like the subtleness and darkness of british humour sompared to others. you take shows like nighty night, nathan barley, brass eye, day today etc and look at some of the things in that and wonder why you are laughing but you still do.

one thing i never understood, why do american audiences insist on cheering and applauding every little thing?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 08:26 AM   #5
5Against1
bad moon rising

5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses
American comedians use self depricating material, Rodney Dangerfield made a career out of it. British humor, what I've seen, tends to be more subtle and is a welcome relief from the "Larry the Cable Guy" stuff the media was recently pushing here, you could see the punchlines from a mile away.
Old 10.05.2007, 08:39 AM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
American shows like The Simpsons and South Park are self-focussed by the very nature of being satirical.

and I love those two shows for that fact.

I think another self-focused vs. self-depreciating humorist is Sarah Silverman. beyond being smoking hot, she's SERIOUSLY funny.
Old 10.05.2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
The British are definitely too sophisticated. Yakety Sax and sped-up film involving buoyant ladies goes right over our heads.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 09:22 AM   #8
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Also the blue comedy guys like Larry the Cable Guy are totally self-deprecating. In fact I'm really wondering who these "success focused" comedians sonicl is talking about. Are they transmitting comedians to England that I've never heard about?
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 09:29 AM   #9
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, bad use of words on my part. I took 20 minutes to construct my post and I still worded it badly. I haven't time to correct myself right now though.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
The British are definitely too sophisticated. Yakety Sax and sped-up film involving buoyant ladies goes right over our heads.

"It's a door!" [laughter]

"I'm Jewish!" [laughter]

"Hey Paul, what about that?" [uproarious laughter]

I wouldn't say your people were without their sophistication, if you look really hard.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 11:36 AM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I wouldn't say your people were without their sophistication, if you look really hard.

That makes one of us.
I made no claims of superiority.
Well, except in terms of Modern Dentistry, but that's another thread.
Old 10.05.2007, 11:38 AM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
In response to the actual thread - I think comedy proper is different to the general demeanour - good comedy is funny wherever, and there's plenty of braggard amongst British comedians - first that springs to mind is Ricky Gervais, or less comical, a Chris Evans or a Twatface Moyles.

There is a broad and generalised difference in humours, but my experience is that this isn't so much as a national divide as it is a local divide. I find the humour of my part of the south-west hilarious, but the next county along less so. Glaswegians or Scallys I can deal with, but I don't get the Manc humour. This is entirely personal, but I think there is such a thing as a regional humour, or at least, regional humourous demeanour - do many people in the south get Peter Kay?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.05.2007, 11:39 AM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
That makes one of us.
I made no claims of superiority.
Well, except in terms of Modern Dentistry, but that's another thread.

I like the idea of you preening your glistening teeth whilst watching the strange fruit dangle in your orchard.

We are playing stereotype Table Tennis [or ping-pong, if you must] here, right?

Quote:
Old 10.05.2007, 11:42 AM   #14
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Um, yes.
If you ignore the fact that I just finished some Earl Grey.
Old 10.05.2007, 11:48 AM   #15
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
[laughter]

[laughter]

[uproarious laughter]

for the most part, the laughter that you hear is generated by machines, or maybe the CIA (depending on who you ask).
Old 10.05.2007, 11:53 AM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Um, yes.
If you ignore the fact that I just finished some Earl Grey.

And ignore the fact that I just shouted 'Hell yeah!' at some non-F1 cars.

Quote:
Old 10.05.2007, 12:07 PM   #17
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Don't you mean "Hellz Yeeauh?"
Old 10.05.2007, 12:10 PM   #18
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

this thread just registered a 10 on the white-trash meter!

people in low-lying coastal areas of southeast asia should move toward higher ground.
Old 10.05.2007, 12:10 PM   #19
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I never liked self-deprecating humor, it was just like a cheap shot. Not very constructive. I always liked when it looks into how society works, or here in America how each segment of America looks at itself. The ones that spring to mind right now are George Lopez, and Chris Rock. They nail it.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 12:11 PM   #20
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
this thread just registered a 10 on the white-trash meter!

people in low-lying coastal areas of southeast asia should move toward higher ground.

Toward is a verb now?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth