Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.28.2016, 08:51 AM   #81
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Actually I did, a few years ago. I always forget about that. I wanted to show my girlfriend the "worst movie ever made," and when we were done I felt silly. It had some of the worst acting I've ever seen, but it was beautifully filmed and the music sequences added a lot.

Yeah, it wasn't THAT bad.

I used to think Darkman was the worst ever but I rewatched it and i enjoyed it......

The worst movie ever is Inherent Vice
Old 03.28.2016, 08:53 AM   #82
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have walked out of two movies in my life.

Inherent Vice

Todd Sweeney demon barber

and I walked out ANGRY both time.....
Old 03.28.2016, 08:55 AM   #83
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

LEX LUTHOR is not and never and was never supposed to be INSANE! He is a criminal mastermind, fully sane, just fully cold and ruthless! I hate eisenburger. fucking shit actor in everything I have ever seen that fucker in. Hate him like I hate Inherent Vice.
Old 03.28.2016, 10:24 AM   #84
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, setting aside BvS for a minute, I fully agree with you about Inherent Vice. I didn't walk out of it, but only because I didn't see it in the theatre. We turned it off, though, and never turned it back on even though there was only half an hour left. It was fucking awful, and none of the wit and brilliance of the novel translated to the screen.

I also hated Sweeny Todd. Watched it once, then tried again a few years later, and stopped less than half way through. It was a complete shit show.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2016, 10:33 AM   #85
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
But I really wish people would stop getting all up in arms about what these characters are "supposed" to be. They have changed countless times over the decades. Whatever you're thinking of as Lex Luthor is almost certainly not the original. Did the original turn into a superhero and fight alongside Superman in the future, wearing a green and purple fucking robot suit? Fuck no. But that's happened in the comics so much that's it's practically canonical.

My favorite Luthor was from The Dark Knight Striles Again. He was all fucking blood thirsty and brutal and full of murderous evil intent and cruelty. That was fun. But it was nothing like the original Luthor. And the Joker is mostly nowhere near as smart or serious as Heath Ledger's Joker. But Ledger's joker is now "THE" Joker, and it's a damn good thing.

As I said, as Luthor. Eisenberg's villain really doesn't work. But as a new spin on a character that's needed an update for a while... as an experiment... He was fine!

Plus, he's obviously been fucked with by Darkseid. His brain should be a little warbled.

And go see the movie before you start talking about how he's supposed to be a criminal mastermind, because even with the craziness, he does a pretty good job of masterminding the fuck out of the film.
Old 03.28.2016, 10:45 AM   #86
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh, and what the fuck do you mean he's never been insane? Criminal masterminds and murderers hell bent on killing aliens and increasing their power at the expense of anyone and anything aren't insane?

Sure, the movie portrays him (or his son.. or whatever) as more of a psychopath than a sociopath, which is generall how he's portrayed when he's a villain. But big deal. Gene Hackman played him as a freaking used-car salesman type of supervillain. A totally hokey (but pretty awesome) douche bag. A comedic figure more than anything else.

The comics chiefly portray him as a stone faced, calculating bully, and that's never translated on to the screen.

Again, I think it should have been Bryan Cranston, but what the fuck do I know. If they'd followed in Richard Donner's footsteps, they would have cast John C. Reilly. And not serious John C. Reilly... Like, Step-Brothers John C Reilly. Talladega Nights John C. Reilly. Yuck.

If it can't be a perfect portrayal of the character as imagined in the comics, then I'm all for an experimental take on the character. Jesse Eisenberg kinda bugs me because I think he believes himself to be a really genuine character actor of the highest pedigree, and he's not bad, but he's not that great. His Zuckerberg came across as a bit frothy-at-the-mouth too, thanks to Aaron Sorkin's mile a minute screenplay, and some of that translated over to this. But whatevs. I'm fine with it.
Old 03.28.2016, 12:11 PM   #87
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

sanity requires control of your brain facilities.

A truly insane person does not run multinational business or criminal empires like Lex. The truly insane blow shit up for kicks like the Joker.
Old 03.28.2016, 12:12 PM   #88
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

But I will see the movie. Gonna go hit it at a $5 ticket price (before Noon at theater near me)

Then I am gonna cry
Old 03.28.2016, 02:00 PM   #89
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

this from Cracked.com made me laugh

Old 03.28.2016, 05:30 PM   #90
Severian
invito al cielo

Ha!
Old 03.28.2016, 05:35 PM   #91
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
sanity requires control of your brain facilities.

A truly insane person does not run multinational business or criminal empires like Lex. The truly insane blow shit up for kicks like the Joker.

Dude, sane people don't murder with intent. Period. Anyone can be pushed to do awful things under the right circumstances, but it takes a sociopath at least to engineer and mastermind grand schemes that take people's lives. Luthor's a total socio. But most sociopaths are very in control of their faculties, and take great care to sculpt situations around which they can get what they want.

Anyway whatever, glad you're going to see the movie. I know you love DKR and DKSA, so I am looking forward to hearing your reaction.

Also, how's that Book with a capital B coming along? Eh?
Old 03.28.2016, 05:43 PM   #92
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Did she say why? Is your sister a fan, or just a casual viewer?

The movie really SHOULD appeal to both, but I don't think it will. Just curious.
She is a fan and generally has good taste as well as more tolerance for crap than me so her walking out says something

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2016, 05:51 PM   #93
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissonu
hell naw it aint that bad. it was entertaining as hell and batman alone made it worth it for me, nigga. they had to put batman in it so it would sell. superman on his own dont sell as good

Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry to say it, but Superman is just not working with this generation. I think it's partly because the character is considered too simple and too "boring" by a lot of fans who have come to expect more complex and relatable stories. In fact, Batman is partially to blame for this. I don't know when it truly started, but it came to a head with Tim Burton's Batman. That movie reinvented Batman in a pretty perfect way for that era, and ever since then comic books and films have strived to be more high-brow, and more character driven.

Marvel took the cue, and they tried to model their movies after Tim Burton's Batman... in ways that vary from subtle (making the X-men suits black) to absurdly obvious (the Daredevil movie), and it still dogs them to this day. They try to make the Avengers feel pretty "dark" (for the Avengers), and Iron Man has basically become just a snappy Republican Batman.

Superman doesn't exist in that world. He is a simple character but he's based on some very interesting religious and philosophical concepts, and to explore those you need to get pretty big and un relatable. You need to address ideas of gods and men, and you need to frame Superman in a way that shows and demonstrates his power, but also his vulnerabilities.

That's fuckin' hard.

Batman is the most popular super hero of all time, and has been for many years now. For good reason! He's way better and infinitely more intersting than Spider-Man, and his villains are choice. He works well in the modern world. But
Old 03.28.2016, 05:56 PM   #94
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
She is a fan and generally has good taste as well as more tolerance for crap than me so her walking out says something

Ouch. Well, I can see that. If you're expecting to see your heroes rendered as they are in comics, it's a toss up. It does a good job and a bad job simultaneously. If you're into Killing Joke and DKR, and other non-canon stories, and you're up for a revamping of classic characters, it's unmissable because of what you get to see. If you cling to canon, or to the characters as you see them in your mind, you might get pissed.

Either way, I love both characters more than anyone else I know. I really do. And I'm hypercritical of adaptations of these two cherished characters. So if it was really all that insulting to fans, I would have been the first to bolt.

If she walked out before the last half hour, I feel bad for her. She missed a hell of an ending though.
Old 03.28.2016, 05:57 PM   #95
Severian
invito al cielo

And I hated the ending because, again... nooooo! and whatnot.
Old 03.28.2016, 06:02 PM   #96
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You're a weird guy p_greezy. Like, a super weird guy. I don't think I actually "lol'd" at something I'd read on the internet until I encountered you though.

But yeah, man. I have a MacBook and shit, and an iPad Pro (which I got from the office, presumably for being such a talentless writer ), and a Mac desktop, but work is a constant thing for me these days. It's after 8 on Good Friday and I'm taking emails. So I spend a hell of a lot of time on my iPhone.

But you do your thing man.

thanks man. I guess. most people make up usernames to be the stupid troll but, not me. im the real deal. I post what I think at that second. like a conversation. I have no shame until the shame catches up with me. even still then, im up on my two feet rolling with it. planets are like treadmills you know.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2016, 09:21 PM   #97
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
thanks man. I guess. most people make up usernames to be the stupid troll but, not me. im the real deal. I post what I think at that second. like a conversation. I have no shame until the shame catches up with me. even still then, im up on my two feet rolling with it. planets are like treadmills you know.

Haha! See? I love this guy. I'll have what he's having

(Crickets)
Old 03.29.2016, 10:46 AM   #98
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I am about 120 pages into THE BOOK and it is awesome
Old 03.29.2016, 12:07 PM   #99
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am about 120 pages into THE BOOK and it is awesome

YES! I'm so glad to hear it. I'm still down to read a recommendation of yours. It's only fair. I hope you tear right through book 1 and just do all 4 in one go. It's worth it.

I'm repping you in my heart again.
Old 03.29.2016, 06:35 PM   #100
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Haha! See? I love this guy. I'll have what he's having

(Crickets)

im having onions on the grateful dead with a side order of chocolate covered crickets.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth