Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I have a time machine...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who would you go and see play in 1969?
The Stooges 5 13.51%
The Doors 2 5.41%
Jimi Hendrix 5 13.51%
Led Zeppelin 1 2.70%
The Rolling Stones 1 2.70%
The Who 3 8.11%
The Grateful Dead 0 0%
Pink Floyd 1 2.70%
Velvet Underground 15 40.54%
Someone else, and that someone else is... 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03.16.2007, 07:35 AM   #1
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
... and I'm taking you back to 1969. We're gonna go see a show! Who are we going to see?

The Stooges?
The Doors?
Jimi Hendrix?
Led Zeppelin?
The Rolling Stones?
The Who?
The Grateful Dead?
Pink Floyd?
Velvet Underground?
Or someone else entirely?

Poll coming soooon.....
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 07:42 AM   #2
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
dude you seriously shouldnt post shit like this, you know the FBI read every thing on the internet, i wouldnt be suprised if there is black helicopters flying around your house. Be careful dude.

And i think id have to see NIRVANA..i just gotta.
Old 03.16.2007, 07:42 AM   #3
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Letīs go to a Bruce Haak concert.
Electronic revolution, yeah !!!
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 07:44 AM   #4
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
If you have a time machine, you can see them all; just keep going back in time.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 07:44 AM   #5
sarramkrop

The Velvet Underground or The Stooges if i have to stick to the poll.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 07:45 AM   #6
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
The Stooges, absolutely.

I'd make sure I got right in Iggy's way.

Glorious.
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 07:45 AM   #7
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
To save me thinking, I'll pick one from the list:

The Who.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 07:46 AM   #8
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
i think id have to see NIRVANA..i just gotta.
Nirvana? In 1969? Kurt was 2, Krist was 4, Chad Channing was 2. But if that's what floats your boat...
Old 03.16.2007, 07:47 AM   #9
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
If you have a time machine, you can see them all; just keep going back in time.

It's one of those disposable time machines, you can only use it for one return journey.
Old 03.16.2007, 07:47 AM   #10
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Nirvana? In 1969? Kurt was 2, Krist was 4, Chad Channing was 2. But if that's what floats your boat...

Maybe he means the rubbish 60's Nirvana.
Old 03.16.2007, 07:48 AM   #11
sarramkrop

Quote:

He meant the original Nirvana.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 07:50 AM   #12
Shipper

The Stones in '69 would be pretty cool
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 07:52 AM   #13
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Watch the Freak

Mike Jahn, New York Times, 3 April 1970

Iggy Pop – magnificent name, much better than Jim, which is really his name – is on national television. He is lead singer in a group called the Stooges, who are living up to their name. Iggy has just covered his chest with peanut butter and is out in the audience, writhing and moaning and jumping on people. Now he disappears and is apparently on the ground, but all the viewers at home can see is a bunch of people looking down. He is chanting the lyrics to a song called '1970'.

He is screaming:

"I'm all right!"

"I'm a-a-a-ll right!"

A girl looks down at him. "Are you all right?" she asks.

This scene was broadcast in a recent Metromedia television special called Midsummer Rock, a 90-minute tape of a rock festival held in Cincinnati. The highlight of the program for many people was the appearance of Iggy and the Stooges. Previously known as the Psychedelic Stooges, they came out of Ann Arbor, Mich., and perhaps are rock music's greatest contribution to that fun-time sport called "Watch the Freak". No doubts here, Iggy has become the freak to watch.

You never know what is going to happen at a Stooges concert. They climaxed their performance at a college rock festival with Iggy carrying one of the fans away on his shoulder. She turned out to be the daughter of a horrified dean. Says Elektra Records, for whom they record, "They are not called the Stooges for nothing."

The group is more important visually than musically. Musically, they fill up the room with very loud sound and keep it going while Iggy does his routine, whatever his routine happens to be on that particular night. Musically, the image presented by the phrase "a wall of sound" is appropriate. The Stooges' music, for all practical purposes, is one big noise that throbs. The parts are at first indistinguishable from each other. The important thing about their music is that it fills the room and provides a context for Iggy Pop, who is watched by the audience with intense fascination.

Pete Townshend of the Who used to destroy guitars at the end of a set. On those occasions, the audience would be drawn, transfixed, to the scene of the destruction like the traditional moth to a flame. With Iggy it is the same thing. He writhes. He moans. He seems totally self-involved. He rubs his body, he contorts, bending over backwards until his head nearly touches the floor. He rolls his tongue around. He makes grotesque shapes with his lips. He is very ugly and precociously sexual. The audiences love it. They don't understand it. Neither does he, most likely. But they are drawn to watch him with mouths agape. Watch the freak! It’s great fun.

Consider this episode from the Stooges concert of last year at the Pavilion in New York. The Pavilion is the former New York State Pavilion at the l964-65 World's Fair. The ground is a giant map of New York State. For this occasion, the stage was set up along the Canadian border. The other end, the men's rooms, were just south of Long Island. The audience was seated on the floor, on top of New York State.

Iggy did his normal writhing, then spotted a blonde sitting on Syracuse. He stared at her a long moment, until a kid behind her made an obscene gesture in his direction. Iggy sprang into the audience. He landed on all fours and began crawling toward the kid, slowly. Just as he reached him, the audience stood up. Much pushing and screaming for a few minutes, then Iggy crawled back out of the audience. He crawled to the guitarist, pulled him down on the floor, mauled him for a few minutes, then let him go. Then Iggy disappeared behind the bank of amplifiers, emerging on the other side a few minutes later. He got to a racing start position, sprint-ed across stage, and made a perfect head-first racing dive into the audience, knocking down about 25 people in the vicinity of Albany.

Earlier in the show, he took a drumstick and raked it across his chest until he started to bleed. After another concert he was heard to lament the fact that he hadn't bled enough. While the previous routine was going on, the band never let up for a second on its wall-of-music. A full-color, four-part-harmony version of this episode is included in my just-published novel, The Scene.

Watch the Freak! Surprisingly, the Stooges make fairly good records. Their just-released second LP, Fun House is much better than was reasonable to expect. They have made quite an art of this solid sound; listening to it on headphones provides one with complexities that don't come through in the Stooges' live performances, possibly because one is too busy watching Iggy to notice. The songs on the LP will not go down in musical history, but they certainly do fill a room with noise.

See the Stooges, if you can, perhaps even buy the record, and bring a little bizarre freakery into your life.

Yeah, I'd want to see the Stooges if I'm in 1969..
Old 03.16.2007, 07:57 AM   #14
sonicl
invito al cielo

I'm a bit of a hippy. I'm watching Floyd. I don't care that it's post-Barrett, I'm just floating off downstream to a long long "Set The Controls..." maaaan...
Old 03.16.2007, 08:03 AM   #15
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
the only thing i am jealous of my mom over for anything is that in '69 she saw The Who play at Merriweather, and just recently she realized the band opening for them was Led Zeppelin, but she doesn't remember a thing about them

I voted Who cause they were all alive then, i was offered tickets to see them last week but i passed, just not the same without Entwistle now
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 08:13 AM   #16
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Velvet unnegraaaun.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 08:21 AM   #17
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
thats hard because i relly would love to see so many of those people. i think the vu win.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 08:27 AM   #18
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
the stooges and hendrix.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 08:32 AM   #19
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

yeh sorry that was a mistake i didnt notice we had rules with the date of the bands. yikes
Old 03.16.2007, 08:33 AM   #20
Katy
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
the only thing i am jealous of my mom over for anything is that in '69 she saw The Who play at Merriweather, and just recently she realized the band opening for them was Led Zeppelin, but she doesn't remember a thing about them

I voted Who cause they were all alive then, i was offered tickets to see them last week but i passed, just not the same without Entwistle now

My dad used to roadie for bands in the 60's. (He was an East Ender in his late teens/early 20's in the mid-late 60's.. he did a lot of "hanging around".) He'd help move their equipment, do security, stuff like that.

Keith Moon threw a drum at him once (this is probably his best story.. he claims he threw it right back at him.) He met Hendrix (had his autograph and a feather from his boa. He sold it when I was a kid but I remember seeing it. The autograph was on a flyer from a gig at Olympia, new years eve, i think, 1968?). He remembers seeing Syd Barrett a lot with Floyd, moving their stuff into venues and things. Getting in to lots of shows for free. He has some good stories. Shame I don't get along with him, really..

He's mostly into folk music now.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth