Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page street art?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.31.2008, 07:36 PM   #41
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
What country or city are you in?
Old 01.31.2008, 07:37 PM   #42
Disgruntled Youth
the end of the ugly

Disgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
What country or city are you in?

Who?

"Drink Guinness & live,
Hate Guinness & die"
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Disgruntled Youth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 07:49 PM   #43
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
you haha
Old 01.31.2008, 07:54 PM   #44
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
entitled to yr opinion.

but personally I really beleive it depends a lot on the area. And there are places where I live that would look so awful without the constant interaction they have with the community of artists who live in them. It makes my world feel alive, rather than.. concrete and commercial. We're surrounded by PAID art, shoved down our throats. I'd much rather see people expressing themselves in beautiful artistic ways in place of all of those advertising spaces.

The thing is, 98% of 'street art' is shit. It's very rare that you see graffiti by a talented artist on the side of a wall. Probably because if someone is that talented they'd probably put their talent to use elsewhere.

And this 'concrete and commerical' statement doesn't hold much weight with me, considering 'street art' is rarely political, so it's just as meaningless as paid advertisement anyway.

All this being said though, I bought a book called 'uncommonissioned art - A - Z of Australian Graffiti' for a friend. It's a good book, worth checking out. But it's a good book because it's the 'best' works from all over this country and the 'street art' has been created by thinking people that are within the 2%, for me.
Old 01.31.2008, 07:57 PM   #45
phoenix
invito al cielo

maybe its just the different areas we live in? because 85% of the street art where I go, is amazing, thought out, time consuming, quality. The areas it is in, are generally housing poor art students and the like.. Until the people with too much money come in and buy all the houses.. then the poor interesting people have to move out.. and they go to a new place, make it interesting.. rich people buy all the houses push up prices etc etc etc.

Why does it have to be political to be more interesting than a bic razor add? Beauty and art for art's sake is much more interesting to me than graphic design used to portrey a business' message. By miles.
Old 01.31.2008, 07:58 PM   #46
phoenix
invito al cielo

I'll post some pics over the weekend of what I mean.
Old 01.31.2008, 08:07 PM   #47
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
It's just as meaningless though. A Bic advertisment is selling something, whilst the other is not selling you anything. But they're both irrelevant to me.

And I used to romanticise over these 'bohemian' types when I was younger. But I've been to art school, I've lived as a poor student (still do if you want to classify the term 'poor' being not having alot of money like a lawyer or a car salesmen), I've lived in and among this so called culture, and they're nothing special. I couldn't stand art school, the people pretended to be artists, hardly anyone real in the whole bunch. The only real people were the teachers, and the odd student who realised art is just enjoyment, not any kind of image, and if you can make money to live by your art, then you're better off without the term 'artist' - which is only a term used by people wanting to be something rather than just being.
Old 01.31.2008, 08:11 PM   #48
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
It's just as meaningless though. A Bic advertisment is selling something, whilst the other is not selling you anything. But they're both irrelevant to me.

And I used to romanticise over these 'bohemian' types when I was younger. But I've been to art school, I've lived as a poor student (still do), I've lived in and among this so called culture, and they're nothing special. I couldn't stand art school, the people pretended to be artists, hardly anyone real in the whole bunch. The only real people were the teachers, and the odd student who realised art is just enjoyment, not any kind of image, and if you can make money to live by your art, then you're better off without the term 'artist' - which is only a term used by people wanting to be something rather than just being.

That's a little sad that you dont really have any interest in the visual appeal of the environment around you though, isnt it?

uh.. I dont think I'm ' romanticising over bohemian types'. I sincerely prefer a world where people express themselves through artistic vision, whether they have so called 'talent' or not. Whether they're judged as real 'artists' or not. What do you mean by 'real people'? There are always pretentious people in every career path. To me you sound just as pretentious as the people you seem to be bagging out.. ? You're saying that people shouldn't conform yet you dont believe in free expression?
Old 01.31.2008, 08:11 PM   #49
phoenix
invito al cielo

when you were younger? you're 24? you're not old..
Old 01.31.2008, 08:21 PM   #50
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
That's a little sad that you dont really have any interest in the visual appeal of the environment around you though, isnt it?

uh.. I dont think I'm ' romanticising over bohemian types'. I sincerely prefer a world where people express themselves through artistic vision, whether they have so called 'talent' or not. Whether they're judged as real 'artists' or not. What do you mean by 'real people'? There are always pretentious people in every career path. To me you sound just as pretentious as the people you seem to be bagging out.. ? You're saying that people shouldn't conform yet you dont believe in free expression?

I do have an interest in the 'visual appeal of the enviornment' around me. I don't need spray paint, colours and bright lights to entertain me.

I'm not being pretentious because I don't expect anything from them, nor am I competing with them.
'Free expression' is something that needs to be thought about, which most artist claim to but don't actually do much of.

I remember Dylan saying something like "Real art is in the bathroom, not in the gallery".
'Art students' I'm talking about, want to be in the gallery expressing something that has already been expressed so then be titled an 'artist'.
Old 01.31.2008, 08:22 PM   #51
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
when you were younger? you're 24? you're not old..

Younger, not young. I'll be older in a year, but I wont be old.
Old 01.31.2008, 08:27 PM   #52
Norma J
invito al cielo

I like this Lisboa character's work.
Old 01.31.2008, 08:33 PM   #53
Norma J
invito al cielo

See, look at them walls. It's all full of shit done by maybe 20 different kids, and only one good thing has been done on them all.
Old 01.31.2008, 08:48 PM   #54
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
I do have an interest in the 'visual appeal of the enviornment' around me. I don't need spray paint, colours and bright lights to entertain me.

I'm not being pretentious because I don't expect anything from them, nor am I competing with them.
'Free expression' is something that needs to be thought about, which most artist claim to but don't actually do much of.

I remember Dylan saying something like "Real art is in the bathroom, not in the gallery".
'Art students' I'm talking about, want to be in the gallery expressing something that has already been expressed so then be titled an 'artist'.

at least you seem to have the angry bitter artist thing going for you. You also seem to have a very narrow minded view for someone who has studied art?

If you're not competing, then why do you seem to be putting it down below you in your comments?

I'm not sure what the dylan quote has to do with this, since I said before, to me it doesnt really matter that the art created on the streets is not high art. To me it simply represents the human interaction with the environment around it.

I really think the 'expressing something that has already been expressed' bollox is... bollox. There are always artists doing the same thing as others. Every person who learns the way a body moves, the way colours interact with each other, the way that shape and form and light affect us.. They all learn things that many people have learned before. That is the work of a GOOD artist, who studies that which has gone before, and THEN moves on. There are people who set out to represent certain ideas, and fall very short of their goal. I'd much rather have a society where the participation in even TRYING to express, is at a high level.
Old 01.31.2008, 08:49 PM   #55
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
See, look at them walls. It's all full of shit done by maybe 20 different kids, and only one good thing has been done on them all.

you sound like you should be an art dealer, not an artist.

edit sorry, you dont like the term 'artist'

feel free to insert something more avant garde that represents you.
Old 01.31.2008, 09:04 PM   #56
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
at least you seem to have the angry bitter artist thing going for you. You also seem to have a very narrow minded view for someone who has studied art?

If you're not competing, then why do you seem to be putting it down below you in your comments?

I'm not sure what the dylan quote has to do with this, since I said before, to me it doesnt really matter that the art created on the streets is not high art. To me it simply represents the human interaction with the environment around it.

I really think the 'expressing something that has already been expressed' bollox is... bollox. There are always artists doing the same thing as others. Every person who learns the way a body moves, the way colours interact with each other, the way that shape and form and light affect us.. They all learn things that many people have learned before. That is the work of a GOOD artist, who studies that which has gone before, and THEN moves on. There are people who set out to represent certain ideas, and fall very short of their goal. I'd much rather have a society where the participation in even TRYING to express, is at a high level.

I'm not angry. You could just as well of claimed I was previously naive until my way of thinking, but then I have to be your enemy because you have your viewpoint down for now. And I could call you narrow-minded for even mentioning the notion of being 'narrow-minded'. But where would that get me, or you?

I'm not putting 'art' down, I'm not putting anything down. I'm just questioning the term 'artist' and saying, from my experiences, that word is not always what we're taught it is. Art shouldn't be determined at all, but if you're going to determine an 'artist', than it's the way one thinks, not what they put down on paper or any other medium. A plumber can be an artist by just removing the shit from your clogged pipes. But it all doesn't mean a thing.
Old 01.31.2008, 09:05 PM   #57
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
you sound like you should be an art dealer, not an artist.

edit sorry, you dont like the term 'artist'

feel free to insert something more avant garde that represents you.

I'm not trying to be represented. That's the point.
Old 01.31.2008, 11:49 PM   #58
phoenix
invito al cielo

...so back to enjoying street art.
Old 01.31.2008, 11:55 PM   #59
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
this isn't local at all or even current but this is just something I like

I don't really like it when people graffiti people's houses and stuff, but I actually like to see graffiti on advertising
Kina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 11:58 PM   #60
phoenix
invito al cielo

I dont like it on peoples houses either, esp tags. There is a HUGE hamster on a wall outside someone's house in the area I used to live, and thats the only time I've enjoyed it done on someone's house. Theyve clearly left it there because they like it too.

Bilboards should all be bombed imho.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth