Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Last Days
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.12.2010, 08:06 PM   #41
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
All of those films are "You either love it, or hate it,"-type deals that leave you feeling very cold at the end, despite their many contrasting differences in style. This is a HUGE gripe that people seem to have with these films.

The Brown Bunny is the most similar of the films I mentioned, and receives many of the same complaints as Last Days. People bitch how nothing happens, and call it lazy, and uninspired...hell, didn't you even get a similar review regarding Me, Myself and My Third Eye?

To less-mainstream moviegoers like most of us, a comedy like The Weather Man is obviously much more...err..."normal"...than it is to the general public. Yet, people bitch about how the film is far too bleak, depressing, and worst of all...boring. Also obvious to us, is that the general public really doesn't seem to understand that the whole point of the film was to be bleak, slow-paced, and depressing (see where I'm going with this?).

I like La Vie Nouvelle a lot too, but you guys have to see how many of your criticisms of this film could just as easily be applied to it, and films of a similar vein.

I don't think "Last Days" is lazy, far from it actually. I think it's just misunderstood. I don't know why I'm going so ape shit over this; I just really like the film, and hate to see it bashed so consistently.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 12:46 AM   #42
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry if I said something that sounds like 'romantic bullshit' there... I just used words that seemed to appropriately describe who Kurt Cobain was. Here was a man who totally changed the face of the music industry almost singlehandedly, almost overnight; with nothing more than an electric guitar and his throat... I know what most people do with those two things; and I doubt it's anything romantic...

However; after doing that; he completely turned around and killed himself; saying that he was an emasculated, infantile complainee... Here was a man who REALLY believed in suffering for one's ART. However pretentious that may or may not be; or whatever the truth of ART is... And I believe; and that belief is somewhat validated by Last Days; that Kurt Cobain died because of that belief in ART. If anything; I think he was the cliche of the tortured artist...

I am not condoning his actions or his behavior... Drugs, take a toll, no matter who you are, and there's always a price to pay... And his actions during Love's pregnancy deserve reproach - I believe if he was still alive, and he was half the man I thought he was; he would have apologized for his actions; or at least felt deep remorse for it... However; the rock and roll dream teen machine rumbles on...
Old 05.13.2010, 11:57 AM   #43
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
Sorry if I said something that sounds like 'romantic bullshit' there... I just used words that seemed to appropriately describe who Kurt Cobain was. Here was a man who totally changed the face of the music industry almost singlehandedly, almost overnight; with nothing more than an electric guitar and his throat... I know what most people do with those two things; and I doubt it's anything romantic...

You really need to learn your history, baby, because shit like this is making you look like a pathetic 12-year-old Cobain dick sucker.

He definitely didn't change the face of the music industry single-handedly and over night. The whole thing was a long process and Nirvana was the culmination, a band that was no only talented but in the right place at the right time.

It would take way too much time to fill in the gaps of your music knowledge, but what happened with Nirvana went back to at least the Stooges, if not the bands who influenced them. Some of the most notable events and such that took place that allowed Nirvana to do what they did were Black Flag's innovative touring that revolutionized the way underground bands got fans, Sonic Youth's unheard of signing to a major label, and surfer rosa. Those are only THREE tiny little things in the fucking list that allowed Nirvana to do what they did. Not only that, but at the time, Grunge was already getting popular. I think people seem to forget that Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were both on major labels at the time and were getting lots of metal fans, just like Nirvana did later on a larger scale because of all the cultural preparation that happened by other bands. Shit like this doesn't happen over night, so get over it.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 12:04 PM   #44
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
do you think if she could have imagined all the candlelight vigils, Courtney would have killed him sooner?
space is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 12:08 PM   #45
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic
You really need to learn your history, baby, because shit like this is making you look like a pathetic 12-year-old Cobain dick sucker.

He definitely didn't change the face of the music industry single-handedly and over night. The whole thing was a long process and Nirvana was the culmination, a band that was no only talented but in the right place at the right time.

It would take way too much time to fill in the gaps of your music knowledge, but what happened with Nirvana went back to at least the Stooges, if not the bands who influenced them. Some of the most notable events and such that took place that allowed Nirvana to do what they did were Black Flag's innovative touring that revolutionized the way underground bands got fans, Sonic Youth's unheard of signing to a major label, and surfer rosa. Those are only THREE tiny little things in the fucking list that allowed Nirvana to do what they did. Not only that, but at the time, Grunge was already getting popular. I think people seem to forget that Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were both on major labels at the time and were getting lots of metal fans, just like Nirvana did later on a larger scale because of all the cultural preparation that happened by other bands. Shit like this doesn't happen over night, so get over it.

YEH BABY. GRUNGE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 12:12 PM   #46
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
In Utero is boring
Old 05.13.2010, 12:22 PM   #47
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Would anyone care to recommend me some Jost?
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 02:04 PM   #48
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic

So how are those Yankees this season?
Old 05.13.2010, 02:19 PM   #49
alyasa
invito al cielo

Also, the 'music industry' consists of more than CBGB's... All of the aforementioned bands; despite their best efforts; never broke through to the Nickelodeon and MTV crowd. I know that shiat is beneath most people; but the 'music industry' really cared for them and gave them what they wanted. Before Nirvana, they did not want anything other than Guns 'N' Roses, Bon Jovi and Ray Parker Jr.
Old 05.13.2010, 11:05 PM   #50
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
Also, the 'music industry' consists of more than CBGB's... All of the aforementioned bands; despite their best efforts; never broke through to the Nickelodeon and MTV crowd. I know that shiat is beneath most people; but the 'music industry' really cared for them and gave them what they wanted. Before Nirvana, they did not want anything other than Guns 'N' Roses, Bon Jovi and Ray Parker Jr.

That doesn't refute any of what I said, and how were any of the bands that followed Nirvana's popularity ANY better than Guns N Roses and Bon Jovie? Nirvana weren't that much better themselves.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2010, 01:57 AM   #51
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoyed "Last Days". . . . I was a huge GVS fan around the release of Cowgirls and My O.P. Idaho, but kinda moved on. Watching Last days, he still has a very distinct style and richness to his films... good stuff!

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2010, 05:02 PM   #52
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it was terrible.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth