Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Circle Pit - Bruise Constellation
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.10.2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone heard this record? If you haven't, perhaps you should. It rocks.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I pretty much expect to like anything that comes out on Siltbreeze, but what I've heard from Circle Pit hasn't really left a strong impression so far.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2010, 05:29 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
oh, if it's siltbreeze, i'm there. will get it tonight.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
They're a pair poseurs for sure, but I can't help liking this record for what it is, one that wears its influences plain and clear for all to see. It is total hipster rock and roll but I like it.
Old 11.10.2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
oh, if it's siltbreeze, i'm there. will get it tonight.
There's a fair amount of stuff that Tom Lax puts out which leaves me cold.
Old 11.10.2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I should add that a lot of rock music coming from the states is leaving me cold right now. Too much gibberish like fag this, nigga that, shit those is kind of making it clear that there is little to say. Not even my mum finds a band called Fag Cop offensive or amusing by now.
Old 11.10.2010, 06:13 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I am sure I would feel the same, but I'm not familiar with most of the label. Of the bands I've heard, the only ones I flat-out don't like is Psychadelic Horseshit.. and I'm not really into Bardo Pond, who is just kinda there.

On the other hand, I dig A Band, Gas, Ex-Cocaine, US Girls, Chickens, Ashtray Navigations, Halo of Flies, Harry Pussy, Times New viking (hit or miss but they've got some awesome stuff), Un, Sebadoh, Yips, Resineators, Der TPK, Eat Skull, sic alps..

As for bands on there I love with all my heart and soul... Dead C! Oh my god, I LOVE Dead C, one of the most perfect bands ever. Gate, also, who are strongly related to Dead C, and maybe even better... MONOLAKE and especially Wisher Table are two of the best albums ever (even thought siltbreeze doesn't put out all thier stuff)... albums to put on at 3 AM in complete darkness and zone out to. Pretty sure Wisher Lake is out of print, too, so...

This release from New Zealand noise rock guitarist Michael Morley completes a trilogy for the Table of the Elements label that began with the drone masterpiece The Dew Line and was followed the equally impressive, if a little off kilter, Monolake. The third installment is a continuation the desolate themes of isolation that made the previous records discomforting explorations of lucid guitar texture's and rambled vocal desperation. The vague song forms reflect the music of his other project, Dead C, in some manner, yet, at the same, that is probably the only other comparison to this unique brand of noise shaping, feedback-drenched minor-key strum underlined by droning loops and the noise of corroding speakers. Like fellow New Zealand noise groups Rain and Flies Inside the Sun, Gate's charm lies in the apparent homemade isolation that gives them a tone unlike anything else. Such outlandish experimentation could not occur in the calculation of a studio environment, like a feedback-drenched minor-key strum underlined by droning loops and the noise of corroding speakers. Somehow this is a little hard to hold the attention, yet, as whole, this record is fine and bold statement, and is certainly a vital album in the spectrum of '90s post-rock and noise music. That Gate has worked with guitarist Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth may give an indication of the six string-havoc on offer here.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/skrd2g

Also, of course, Pink Reason is absolutely AMAZING, another one of my favorite bands.

Finally, Siltbreeze has released quite a few Charalambides records, and they're in my top 20 bands also, I mean holy shit! JOY SHAPES is a masterpiece, and one of the most depressing albums ever... enjoy this gem: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T6M8TBLS ...

I've only heard a bit of Blues Control, what I've heard, I've dug.. I'd like to get some more, any reccomendations? Any other Silt band reccomendatios in general?

Okay, damn, sorry I hijacked the thread, but I just to say.. Siltbreeze rocks! I think!

Is FAG COP a real band? anyone remember that band OFFICER MAY? They did one album ("smoking in a-minor", haha) and one ep and then broke up. Kinda like a weird noise rock band, sorta like drive like jehu.,. also that band 400 Blows, awesome noise rock band who did two albums and the lead singer was a former cop himself, and wore the uniform when they played.. then THEY broke up... what is it with noise rock bands who disband so quickly... anyway..

Old 11.10.2010, 06:19 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

holy shit, I just found that officer may album! http://www.mediafire.com/?lmmmm1f2n3j ... working link, too.. this is one obscure, awesome album! If you like badass noise rock, you gotta get this album.

OKAY, BACK TO CIRCLE PIT.. when I get home ,I'm going to smoke a joint, listen to confusion is sex, and download this circle pit album. I'm also going to buy a copy of the new mike watt when I get a chance.

Old 11.10.2010, 06:21 PM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Blues Control are fantastic and by far my favourite of all the current wave of bands who sound like they love Cluster, plus my band opened for Blues Control last year and they said they enjoyed our set, so that was pretty awesome.

Circle Pit aside the only other things that have come out on Siltbreeze that haven't done anything for me are Tropa Macaca and Ashtabula.

If you like the Dead C and NZ weirdo basement songs in general check out the Axemen reissues Siltbreeze put out.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I like the Dead C but most of what I've heard hasn't moved me enough. Gate rate a bit higher, and I don't know them well enough to say how much I like them.
The Shadow Ring I don't know well, and liked little of what I've heard. It's not just that their weirdness wasn't weird to my ears (and it's never been so far), again, I don't get it. Graham Lambkin's solo work, though, it's probably up there with my favourite music at this stage, and his visual art is fucking brilliant. Eat Skull are good, even though live the other night played a bit too much like Tom Petty/Johnny Thunders for my liking. Blues Controls are one my most played bands in the last two years, they're amazing live, I need to go to bed. Also, BC like not only Cluster, but Roxy Music and Dio too. That's perfect.
Old 11.10.2010, 08:03 PM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yep, fucking love Graham Lambkin, especially this one release he did on erstwhile. Eat skull was like tom petty live? that's hilarious! haha.

So weird that you guys bring up cluster, I've been on a big cluster kick lately. The first four albums are amazing..

Old 11.10.2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

The last couple of songs. Still enjoyed them, though, and nice guy, the one who was in The Hospitals, to talk with. And Rich of Psych Horse too. Ganglians were fucking tedious though. Awful shit.
Old 11.10.2010, 08:12 PM   #13
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I've been on a massive try-to-sound-like-Cluster kick of late. And I'm not good enough.
Old 11.10.2010, 09:31 PM   #14
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
eat skull interview:

"Seattle is a stupid place full of idiots. Every time I've ever played there there has been some kind of psycho drama. It's a place full of rich brats who think they are activists and are obsessed with the WTO riots and nitpicking. Either that or drug addicts."

lol
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2010, 01:05 AM   #15
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Boring. This is no different than Waaves in how boring and unimaginative it is.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2010, 01:07 AM   #16
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
now im actually going to listen to it to find out.
Old 11.11.2010, 01:16 AM   #17
ni'k
invito al cielo

i didn't actually doubt you at any point rhapsody.

this band are also australian and have a female amongst males, yet naked on the vague are like the opposite of everything bad about them. this band wants to be stupid 80's yeah man cheap rock n roll snarl. if naked on the vague want to be 80's anything its 80's negative ugly and weird. but i don't even think they are a 70's/80's/90's tribute act like 99% of all guitar bands in existence right now.

i actually had naked on the vagues blood pressure sessions on and paused it to watch the circle pit video.

listen to naked on the vague instead. do that anyway.

see?
Old 11.11.2010, 02:32 AM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Just listened to this record in between malade de souci - novmmbr aign (one of the best records I've ever heard) and U.S. Maple (who I'm getting back into again after years of not listening), and it didn't sound bad at all.

Musically, it's way more creative and -- indeed -- imaginative than something like the aforementioned wavves and their 2-power-chord blink-182-but-not-even-as-good! (blink-91?) mountain dew (cuz theyre not even kewl enuff for red bull) rock. Some good hooks, clever song structures. Nothing groundbreaking but it sounds fine to my ears.

Old 11.11.2010, 03:07 AM   #19
ni'k
invito al cielo

adam, did you get my messages?
Old 11.11.2010, 05:03 AM   #20
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
i didn't actually doubt you at any point rhapsody.

this band are also australian and have a female amongst males, yet naked on the vague are like the opposite of everything bad about them. this band wants to be stupid 80's yeah man cheap rock n roll snarl. if naked on the vague want to be 80's anything its 80's negative ugly and weird. but i don't even think they are a 70's/80's/90's tribute act like 99% of all guitar bands in existence right now.

i actually had naked on the vagues blood pressure sessions on and paused it to watch the circle pit video.

listen to naked on the vague instead. do that anyway.

see?

i like naked on the vague a lot, and i thought they were excellent live too. weird though? nah chance.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth