Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Last Album You Bought?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.21.2010, 07:19 AM   #5301
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux
Way to rain on my new wu parade... : (
Well I did only pay about 10 dollars for the lot of them

hahaha sorry man. Still there's good SONGS on each of those. They're just not solid LP's.

MADE IN BROOKLYN is okay. Just a real let-down after NO SAID DATE which was one of the best Wu related albums in Yeeeeeeeeears. There's a a track produced by MF Doom, but it's a beat used in one of skits and the instrumental had been out for years, although on MK's track the beat is slowed down. Hmm.

TICAL 2000 is the best of the 3 you bought. I just didn't really like the production on this one. It's a bit too um.. like I think he was aiming for the radio a bit on this one. It's just not as dirty and creepy and heavy as on TICAL. Also I find this album too kind of a mess. Too long. Too many ideas thrown together. Too I don't know... confused? But there's some good stuff on it. Yo'ull probably like this one.

OSIRIS is pretty good. "Pop Shots" is excellent. I nver really understood this one> I guess it was outtakes from ASON UNIQUE or maybe it was meant to like prequel ASON UNIQUE -- but then ASON never came out. Or at least not last I knew about it. I think there was a promo LP of it that was officially released. ANd there was an album leak. But it's weird that it never came out and there was no real reason why. I remember that even magazines reviewed it (the leak or the promo, I'mnot sure). Anyway. I'm rambling. OSIRIS is a mix of good songs and throwaways, just like most "official mixtapes" of its type.

having said that... I bought all 3 as well. They're good to hav e even if only for certain songs.
Old 07.21.2010, 07:23 AM   #5302
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Fishscale - 4/5
Pretty Toney - 5/5
Bulletproof - 2/5
Illadelph - 5/5
Phrenology - 4/5

...you dun gud
Bulletproof Wallets not too great then? Oh well, I bought it for like a penny anyway.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2010, 07:27 AM   #5303
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Bulletproof Wallets not too great then? Oh well, I bought it for like a penny anyway.

it's my least favorite Ghost album. Seriously, I listened to Wizard Of Poetry waaay more than Bulletproof. It's just kind of meh. Ther'es a couple wicked good tracks ("Maxine" for instance), but this was really during the period that the label was just screwing with him so bad. They wouldn't pay for samples he wanted, so good tracks were removed or remixed so that the beats were boring, etc. This album just really suffered from politics. It's not the album he wanted it to be , and it sounds like it.

PLUS, why is he making pancakes for Raekwon on the cover?
Old 07.21.2010, 07:30 AM   #5304
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Bulletproof waffles?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2010, 07:38 AM   #5305
noisereductions
invito al cielo

haha. The album has a lot of like R&B shiz on it, but it's like radio hooks and stuff. Not what Ghost had in mind. Compare it to an outtake that they wouldn't sample-clear: "The Sun" which you can find as a bonus track on PUT IT ON THE LINE. It's sort of singsongy and everything BUT it's wicked weird. It's Ghost-style. Best line in the song is "the sun hits your eyes and makes your face do like THIS" -- as if you can see his face when he says it!!!! Plus Slick Rick is on the track. Pfft. But they wouldn't pay for it. Nope. "Sorry Ghostface, it's too weird for radioplay. How about you do a song with Carl Thomas instead?"
Old 07.25.2010, 10:12 AM   #5306
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Vinyl:

CD:

Yes, I know it's stupid of me to have not got Supreme before this, but I've had a lot of hip-hop to get into this past year. Pretty Toney I bought (over my intended budget) purely because of NRs frequent recomendations, so I KNOW WHO TO BLAME IF I DON'T LIKE IT.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2010, 02:12 PM   #5307
noisereductions
invito al cielo

if you don't like it, there's something wrong with you. Though Viewtiful will agree that you might not love until listen #2. But it's amazing. Seriously. Supreme is great of course. And that Basement Tapes rules. I love that album. I'm not a big Waits fan myself. I know... I know... I like some of his shit, but I'm not a follower.
Old 07.25.2010, 06:27 PM   #5308
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Waits-wise (I love the guy), have you heard Bone Machine? Because that's one that a lot of people seem to miss, and I think is his masterpiece. I've often talked about that album the way you talk about Pretty Toney...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 07.25.2010, 07:14 PM   #5309
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I have heard Bone Machine. And Closing Time (that's what it's called, right?). And Swordfish Trombone. And I have that best of the early years collection. And I have the 3 disc set from a couple years ago. I mean, I've checked him out. He's just not a favorite of mine.
Old 07.25.2010, 11:29 PM   #5310
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses

Ghost and Red were both 3 bucks used, bought Nico new
Old 07.26.2010, 03:11 AM   #5311
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I have heard Bone Machine. And Closing Time (that's what it's called, right?). And Swordfish Trombone. And I have that best of the early years collection. And I have the 3 disc set from a couple years ago. I mean, I've checked him out. He's just not a favorite of mine.

Fair enough. Sometimes it's just down to clicking or not clicking I guess. Quite surprised though, would have thought he'd be way up your street. I would go and list other good stuff, because I think he's ace, but to be honest, if you haven't really got into him from those albums, it seems likely that you won't...
Old 07.26.2010, 05:57 AM   #5312
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Vinyl:

Cd:
Controversial Negro-Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2010, 07:02 AM   #5313
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Fair enough. Sometimes it's just down to clicking or not clicking I guess. Quite surprised though, would have thought he'd be way up your street. I would go and list other good stuff, because I think he's ace, but to be honest, if you haven't really got into him from those albums, it seems likely that you won't...

I do enjoy Closing Time.
Old 07.26.2010, 08:57 AM   #5314
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Oh, if you enjoy the early Waits like Closing Time, then I will recommend another one, because that stuff's both awesome and very different, and really under-loved I feel. Nighthawks at the Diner? Seriously, essential. There are times when the early, smoother, 'smokey bar' Waits stuff is my absolute favourite by him, and that's always been my most loved album from that period. It's recorded live in the studio, and is basically absolutely ace Closing Time-esque stuff, but interweaved with long sections of him just rambling off on little chats kind of related to the songs with the band playing behind him, and it's masterful. If you ever feel a hole in your life for pretty much the ultimate late night drunk guy at a piano in a dive bar kind of album (so pretty much the early Tom Waits cliche haha), but done just really beautifully and sincerely, it's perfect. Check it.
Old 07.26.2010, 09:27 AM   #5315
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
Waits' whole discography is seriously good but it's hard for me to get into Nighthawks at the Diner... I would say that you should check out Small Change and Blue Valentine if you like Closing Time...

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2010, 09:32 AM   #5316
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Oh, if you enjoy the early Waits like Closing Time, then I will recommend another one, because that stuff's both awesome and very different, and really under-loved I feel. Nighthawks at the Diner? Seriously, essential. There are times when the early, smoother, 'smokey bar' Waits stuff is my absolute favourite by him, and that's always been my most loved album from that period. It's recorded live in the studio, and is basically absolutely ace Closing Time-esque stuff, but interweaved with long sections of him just rambling off on little chats kind of related to the songs with the band playing behind him, and it's masterful. If you ever feel a hole in your life for pretty much the ultimate late night drunk guy at a piano in a dive bar kind of album (so pretty much the early Tom Waits cliche haha), but done just really beautifully and sincerely, it's perfect. Check it.

that sounds intriguing. 'smokey bar' is exactly how I"d describe the Waits stuff that I DO like.
Old 07.28.2010, 09:21 PM   #5317
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
High Rise - 2nd
VA - Tokyo Flashback
Michio Kadotani - Rotten Telepathies
Fushitsusha - Live 2
Gaseneta - Sooner or Later
VA - Tokyo Flashback 2
VA - Tokyo Flashback3
Kousokuya + Masayoshi Urabe - The Dark Spot
Jutok Kaneko - Endless Ruins
Kousokuya - Live Gyakuryu Kokuu

DVD:
Kousokuya - Live at Shijuka Jam, 2006
Shizuka - Owarino nai Yume
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2010, 11:13 PM   #5318
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses

Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2010, 11:38 PM   #5319
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubarret
Vinyl:

Personal favorite of mine.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 11:34 PM   #5320
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses

216256263264265 266 267268269276316 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth