Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Nirvana
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.18.2013, 04:25 PM   #41
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Yeah, they responded, but I don't think with a record that sounded like the Beatles, it was a record that sounded even more like the Stones, and I would dare say that looking at who was playing what before 1967, I'd almost say that it could be argued that it was the Beatles were responding to the Stones with Sgt Pepper and not the other way around.

See, Paul got to work on the SGT PEPPER's project once he heard The Beach Boys' PET SOUNDS.

So, no.

This is basic 60s rock history, so I'm done.

------

By the way, is there a good band that has been influenced by Nirvana? I'm really scratching my head here. One? There must be.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
No time to read the whole thread now but wasn't Paul McCartney the Beatle who had the most interest in experimental music, art and literature when the band was still going? I thought it was a well know fact that he was an early fan of VU's first album, attended AMM gigs and his was the decision to include William Burroughs on the cover of St. Pepper's.

Got high with Jean Luc Goddard and made some experimental home movies with him, apparently. Forget where I read that.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2013, 04:31 PM   #42
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
See, Paul got to work on the SGT PEPPER's project once he heard The Beach Boys' PET SOUNDS.

Oh, so there goes Severian's mistaken point that the Beach Boys were influenced by the Beatles, only more so then proving my point since the Beatles unapogetically praised Pet Sounds as a major influence for Sgt Pepper.. That is why its such a radical departure from the Beatles earlier records and sound. See, the Beatles weren't some kind of monolythic musical force living isolated in a vaccuum, only to let out music and not bring it in from outside. Beatles were influenced by what other great bands were doing too..

Quote:

This is basic 60s rock history, so I'm done.

And yet you've failed to respond to any of my other points so perhaps you're just throwing in the the towel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
And Lennon requested Alistair Crowley!

SGT PEPPERS (June 1967)

Their Satanic Majesties Request (December, 1967)

Yeah, but if you ask me, Sgt Pepper is a record that sounds more like a pre-1967 Stones record, so I dare that the Beatles were responding to the mid-1960s blues explosion to which the Stones were a huge part.

Quote:
The Stones are and were and will always be a fucking JOKE. fuck em and fuck their bullshit rip-off crap. Fuck Brown Sugar, fuck everyone that sings that shit not realizing it is about a slave master raping his latest slave girl "just around midnight."

Dude, taking the lyrics a bit too literal now are you? Simply put, that was a song about "jungle fever" and I'm sure a man as obsessed with derrier as you can understand intuitively. That song was trying to point out the irony of slavery, that white men had the hots for black women, and it WASN'T ABOUT RAPE. Believe it or not, just as in today, there were black women who actually had voluntary relationships with white men, shocking but true

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2013, 04:41 PM   #43
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
What you are saying doesn't even make sense. Go back, watch Live!Tonight!Sold Out! and 1991: Year That Punk Broke, and once you settle down from laughing your ass off try and convince yourself that Kurt was anything but a jovial dude!

Yes. In 1991 he did seem a very 'jovial dude'. In the months leading up to his suicide three years later, he didn't. I don't think there's anything nonsensical about that. I think most people knew something was very wrong quite a bit before he killed himself.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2013, 04:46 PM   #44
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yes. In 1991 he did seem a very 'jovial dude'. In the months leading up to his suicide three years later, he didn't. I don't think there's anything nonsensical about that. I think most people knew something was very wrong quite a bit before he killed himself.

I just don't see it. Even in 1993 he was clearly himself, albeit terribly faded by his battle with LA Child Protection Services in losing his daughter as well as the rising price of fame and success. Those would crush ANYBODY, Children's Court is a depressing place. Yet you still saw Kurt being himself on tour in 1993/94, the same joking antics, the same sarcasm. I'm telling you, the whole mopy suicide king image is a post-suicide problem, its not the real Kurt we saw when alive. Of course things were wrong, but suicidal? I'm not quite sure suicide is ever really "predictable" considering that it is by definition perhaps the most irrational and illogical human action.

Old 12.18.2013, 04:57 PM   #45
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

By the way, is there a good band that has been influenced by Nirvana? I'm really scratching my head here. One? There must be.

Kitchen's Floor
http://kitchensfloor.bandcamp.com/al...ard-to-nothing

or Windhand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC0MQog6Omg

But that's it.

And both of those bands are fairly recent, so it's taken approx 20 years for a good band to be influenced by Nirvana.

Nirvana had a huge impact on the music industry at the time, i.e. altering the course of the mainstream single handed, and bringing to an end the cult of rock stars (although Tupac sort of did that too), but musically not so much influence I would say.
It would be easy to bang out a decent sized list of bands more musically influencial than Nirvana.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2013, 04:59 PM   #46
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I just don't see it. Even in 1993 he was clearly himself, albeit terribly faded by his battle with LA Child Protection Services in losing his daughter as well as the rising price of fame and success. Those would crush ANYBODY, Children's Court is a depressing place. Yet you still saw Kurt being himself on tour in 1993/94, the same joking antics, the same sarcasm. I'm telling you, the whole mopy suicide king image is a post-suicide problem, its not the real Kurt we saw when alive. Of course things were wrong, but suicidal? I'm not quite sure suicide is ever really "predictable" considering that it is by definition perhaps the most irrational and illogical human action.

Mate, he was a junky who'd already tried to kill himself once that year. If those aren't warning signs then I don't know what are.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2013, 05:08 PM   #47
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Dude, taking the lyrics a bit too literal now are you? Simply put, that was a song about "jungle fever" and I'm sure a man as obsessed with derrier as you can understand intuitively. That song was trying to point out the irony of slavery, that white men had the hots for black women, and it WASN'T ABOUT RAPE. Believe it or not, just as in today, there were black women who actually had voluntary relationships with white men, shocking but true

Brown Sugar

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields,
Sold in a market down in new orleans.
Scarred old slaver know he's doin alright.
Hear him whip the women just around midnight.
Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good
(a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should
A-huh.

Drums beating, cold english blood runs hot,
Lady of the house wondrin where it's gonna stop.
House boy knows that he's doin alright.
You should a heard him just around midnight.
(a-ha) brown sugar, just like a black girl should

A-huh.

I bet your mama was a tent show queen, and all her boy
Friends were sweet sixteen.
Im no schoolboy but I know what I like,
You should have heard me just around midnight.

(a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should.

I said yeah, I said yeah, I said yeah, I said
Oh just like a, just like a black girl should.

Oh just like, just like a black girl should.

Read the above lyrics. That shit is NOT about jungle fever. Fuck the Stones
Old 12.18.2013, 05:21 PM   #48
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Brown Sugar

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields,
Sold in a market down in new orleans.
Scarred old slaver know he's doin alright.
Hear him whip the women just around midnight.
(a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should
A-huh.

Drums beating, cold english blood runs hot,
Lady of the house wondrin where it's gonna stop.
House boy knows that he's doin alright.
You should a heard him just around midnight.
(a-ha) brown sugar, just like a black girl should

A-huh.

I bet your mama was a tent show queen, and all her boy
Friends were sweet sixteen.
Im no schoolboy but I know what I like,
You should have heard me just around midnight.

(a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should.

Oh just like a, just like a black girl should.

Oh just like, just like a black girl should.

Read the above lyrics. That shit is NOT about jungle fever. Fuck the Stones

Yes, I know the lyrics, but again, you've missed the forest for the trees yo! That song seemed to have totally went over your head

Old 12.18.2013, 05:24 PM   #49
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe it went under my ass
Old 12.18.2013, 05:26 PM   #50
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
hahaha
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2013, 05:31 PM   #51
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
The Internet can be a pretty negative place sometimes. Actually, the whole world can be a pretty negative place sometimes. And you know what fixes everything when the world gets you down? Pau Gasol's Twitter account. It's incredible. While the Internet turns most of us into sarcastic jerks, Pau somehow remains the most sincere, cheerful human on earth.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...he-year-in-pau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Gasol
"19 years ago, Kurt Cobain left us. 'Come as you are' is one of my favorite songs that I still listen to often."

Old 03.14.2020, 06:56 AM   #52
NYCgaf16
stalker

NYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's asses
let's talk about nirvana...

again
NYCgaf16 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2020, 11:04 AM   #53
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
I miss them...
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth