Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page A discussion about 'regressive music'
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.22.2009, 04:54 PM   #81
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Talent is just a word for people who can't grasp that the person in question has had 20 years of practice, too.

This was drawn by an 8-year old girl. How many 8-year olds in the world are capable of drawing like this?

I probably still won't be able to if I'll live to the age of 100.

http://www.artakiane.com/vid-cnn-spi...oungartist.htm
(ignore the spiritual crap)
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 05:02 PM   #82
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie

Perhaps. As I said, people learn at different speeds, this girl simply picked up how to paint very fast, good for her. I'd say give it less than 8 years and you could paint like that, it's not as hard as it looks.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 05:09 PM   #83
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I seriously doubt it, but who knows. Unfortunately(?) we will never find out, because I haven't painted in well over 8 years and don't plan on starting soon.
Old 02.22.2009, 05:11 PM   #84
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
So what's the fucking message for all those out there that want to express themselves, and 'create'? ...

Practice makes perfect, practice your instrument or your painting style - but you might aswell quit at the first hurdle, the first difficultly you come across, because it just means your not talented. No point carrying on further to see if you get better at it, because if you're not gifted, the more you work at it the more time you waste. Give up. Give up now. Only certain people can create. Nobody knows who these people are, everyone thinks they're someone different. But just give up.

What IS NOT pig-headed about that?
But that's the problem pork alluded to. Why sit around trying to break new ground for its own sake? I do think some people lack talent--I often fear that I'm one of them. It sucks, etc. But that's not the point of art. You don't need to succeed to get anything out of trying. And as you said (sarcastically, I know): Nobody knows who's talented until they tap into that talent (and that often requires years and years of work anyway; not everyone who is talented is immediately talented). So everyone should keep trying because you might be talented, and if not, it was a fun ride. That's how life works.

What I'm saying is, everyone should want to succeed and try to succeed in whatever they want, but there can be no shame in failure if you're trying. It's all about the process and the hope, because until your dying day you can't know your potential. And even then, your potential might not be recognized until you're dead. So always keep trying.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 05:46 PM   #85
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
mozart never made drafts for his music. he heard the whole peice nin his head, and just wrote it
beethoven would go through entire notebooks just to find the perfect THEME for a movement
mozart died poor without a pot to piss in, and nobaody was at his burial (7 people came to his funeral)
beethoven was immensly rich 20,000 people came to his funeral

can one say that mozart was more talented that beethoven? if he was, does that make him a better composer?
does it matter?
am i making any sense?
probably not
oh well

oh and TINH
i do not think that with enough practice anybody can play anything. i think a good example is dream theater, i dobt that they can correctly play (ie dynamics emotion etc) a peice by rodrigo, paco de lucia, or john fahey.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 05:57 PM   #86
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
So what's the fucking message for all those out there that want to express themselves, and 'create'? ...

Practice makes perfect, practice your instrument or your painting style - but you might aswell quit at the first hurdle, the first difficultly you come across, because it just means your not talented. No point carrying on further to see if you get better at it, because if you're not gifted, the more you work at it the more time you waste. Give up. Give up now. Only certain people can create. Nobody knows who these people are, everyone thinks they're someone different. But just give up.

What IS NOT pig-headed about that?

That is plainly not what I was saying at all, but go ahead and put words in my mouth if you like. I'm not interested in being baited into pointless arguments.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 06:06 PM   #87
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
I was not trying to put anything in your mouth my friend. But your view essentially means that anyone of the "non-talented"'s attempts to express themselves are totally futile. I'm sorry, but thats what the concept of talent and inborn creativity means.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 02.22.2009, 06:07 PM   #88
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Anyway, regressive PARTY, anyone?

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 02.22.2009, 06:19 PM   #89
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I was not trying to put anything in your mouth my friend. But your view essentially means that anyone of the "non-talented"'s attempts to express themselves are totally futile. I'm sorry, but thats what the concept of talent and inborn creativity means.

I think it's true that anyone, given the right amount of training and dedication, could do something like a, for argument's sake, Picasso. But can they be trained to think in such a way that would enable them to create a Guernica of their own? The problem is that we don't really understand how he came up with it, so how can we learn it? In that sense I tend to agree with Acousticrock's argument above. You can teach someone how to do something that already exists, but not something that's yet to happen.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 06:39 PM   #90
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
You can teach someone how to do something that already exists, but not something that's yet to happen.

This is very true. However, you can teach them the output from which the thing that is yet to happen will come from, ie. painting or playing guitar. Essentially what irritates me about the concept of talent is it so often equated with skill, painting and drawing 'well' and playing guitar 'well'. But these are still skills, and all skills can be learnt, by anyone, by following instuctions. How often, in proportion to painters, do you hear conceptual, installation etc. artists being described as talented? No often enough, anyway.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 02.22.2009, 06:46 PM   #91
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

I beleive creative talent is innate in everyone on earth. Often they need to be taught skills to fully realise these talents and transfer successfully their ideas to sound or a visual image, and this is very possible, albeit difficult sometimes. The difference between artists and people who don't create is merely their attitude to their creativity, whether it is something they want to explore, or not. The idea that some people just don't have the capacity to be creative is rediculous, and it plainly avoids how amazingly capable of reacting to their experiences and surroundings every human being is. However, some people with great creative potential see these activities as a waste of time, and thats the really sad thing.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 02.22.2009, 06:49 PM   #92
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
This was drawn by an 8-year old girl. How many 8-year olds in the world are capable of drawing like this?

http://www.artakiane.com/vid-cnn-spi...oungartist.htm
(ignore the spiritual crap)

Yeah and it's a fucking ugly picture.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 07:01 PM   #93
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I beleive creative talent is innate in everyone on earth. Often they need to be taught skills to fully realise these talents and transfer successfully their ideas to sound or a visual image, and this is very possible, albeit difficult sometimes. The difference between artists and people who don't create is merely their attitude to their creativity, whether it is something they want to explore, or not. The idea that some people just don't have the capacity to be creative is rediculous, and it plainly avoids how amazingly capable of reacting to their experiences and surroundings every human being is. However, some people with great creative potential see these activities as a waste of time, and thats the really sad thing.

Some people are just idiots. Some people are better than others. I'm not a communist.
Old 02.22.2009, 07:07 PM   #94
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Some people are just idiots. Some people are better than others. I'm not a communist.

Here, have a cookie sweetiepie...

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 02.22.2009, 07:10 PM   #95
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Yeah and it's a fucking ugly picture.
Of course it is, but that's completely beside the point.

Did I have to mention that? Do you think fugazifan likes Dream Theater?
Old 02.22.2009, 07:15 PM   #96
sarramkrop

Quote:
Giving them a flag to wave often does the trick.

Not highbrow, but classical still.
Dictator. I bet a lot of those people don't even like what they're listening to, but they are doing it for queen and country.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 07:16 PM   #97
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The difference between artists and people who don't create is merely their attitude to their creativity, whether it is something they want to explore, or not. The idea that some people just don't have the capacity to be creative is rediculous, and it plainly avoids how amazingly capable of reacting to their experiences and surroundings every human being is.
But see, this gets into sketchy free-will/fate territory. What you're saying might be true, but it's a complete guess. It's essentially faith in human potential, which is fine, but there's no way to argue it unless you veer off into "practical denial"--like, just believing something because it makes you happier to believe it's true (which I'm actually all for--just not in this case).

The problem is, if someone has "creative potential" and no motivation to use it, how could that person possibly prove themselves to have creative potential? If someone has an idea that they're not presenting, as far as I'm concerned, they don't have an idea. You can't know that unmotivated people have creative ideas, and even if you could, what difference does it make? Something in them makes them lazy, which is just as bad as not being creative.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 07:19 PM   #98
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Of course it is, but that's completely beside the point.

Did I have to mention that? Do you think fugazifan likes Dream Theater?

I really can't take this conversation seriously. It's depressing.
Old 02.22.2009, 07:21 PM   #99
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Dictator. I bet a lot of those people don't even like what they're listening to, but they are doing it for queen and country.

That's heart-warming. I'm suspecting the one on the right however of having secretly turned off her hearing-aid.
Old 02.22.2009, 07:38 PM   #100
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
You can't know that unmotivated people have creative ideas, and even if you could, what difference does it make? Something in them makes them lazy, which is just as bad as not being creative.

You've made some fine points, but thats not fair - They're not unmotivated or lazy, they're just doing other things with their lives than drawing pretty pictures. Y'know, like doing a job, raising a family.

~~Record of the moment~~

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth