Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums: 2018
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.27.2017, 01:48 AM   #41
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
sorry for hijacking this thread again. I had to. some cool lists of 2017. now. back to 2018.

ACL 2017 ~ The Top 20 Albums of the Year
https://acloserlisten.com/2017/12/21...s-of-the-year/

ACL 2017 ~ Top Ten Rock and Post-Rock
https://acloserlisten.com/2017/12/20...and-post-rock/

ACL 2017 ~ Top Ten Field Recording & Soundscape
https://acloserlisten.com/2017/12/18...ng-soundscape/

ACL 2017 ~ Top Ten Experimental
https://acloserlisten.com/2017/12/17...-experimental/

ACL 2017 ~ Top Ten Modern Composition
https://acloserlisten.com/2017/12/19...n-composition/

ACL 2017 ~ Top Ten Electronic
https://acloserlisten.com/2017/12/16...en-electronic/

ACL 2017 ~ The Year’s Best Album Covers
https://acloserlisten.com/2017/12/13...-album-covers/

ACL 2017 ~ Top Ten Ambient
https://acloserlisten.com/2017/12/14...p-ten-ambient/

ACL 2017 ~ Top Ten Drone
https://acloserlisten.com/2017/12/15...top-ten-drone/

ACL 2017 ~ The Year’s Best Film Scores
https://acloserlisten.com/2017/12/12...t-film-scores/

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2017, 10:14 AM   #42
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Just make a 2017 thread!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2017, 04:50 PM   #43
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Just make a 2017 thread!

Isn't that already a thing? And you started it, mofo!

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...16#post1351316

I understand its purpose was for "announcements", but it's useful for best-of lists as well, I say.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2017, 07:21 PM   #44
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Isn't that already a thing? And you started it, mofo!

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...16#post1351316

I understand its purpose was for "announcements", but it's useful for best-of lists as well, I say.

That’s fair.

And brings us back to the fact that someone totally ganked my thread and it’s title for the second year in a row, only I’m being cool about it this year and not bitching until they delete theirs. Lol. Fun.

Honestly though, a year-end best of thread seems like a necessity.

1. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. (You stupid motherfuckers can’t give me one reason not to pick this album, because it is objectively the best album of the year.)
Old 12.27.2017, 07:29 PM   #45
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Honestly though, a year-end best of thread seems like a necessity.

1. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. (You stupid motherfuckers can’t give me one reason not to pick this album, because it is objectively the best album of the year.)

Dude, again, just go to the other thread and post your bloody Anna Kendrick list there.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 12.27.2017, 07:59 PM   #46
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Dude, again, just go to the other thread and post your bloody Anna Kendrick list there.

Dude, again or for the first time, shut up.
Old 12.27.2017, 08:07 PM   #47
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Old 12.27.2017, 10:00 PM   #48
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Hah hah?
Old 12.29.2017, 04:22 PM   #49
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hah hah?

I find it pretty good, what can I tell ya. Wasn't directing it to you; it's just that your "shut up" reminded me of this "shut up", y'dig.

Old 12.29.2017, 11:22 PM   #50
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I find it pretty good, what can I tell ya. Wasn't directing it to you; it's just that your "shut up" reminded me of this "shut up", y'dig.

Dig, just wondering what kind of venue would use the word “pals.” Seem quaint, doesn’t it?
Old 12.31.2017, 08:36 PM   #51
Severian
invito al cielo

I’m anticipating NEW DJ KOZE FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST

and also Pusha T - “King Push”

And we’ll see what else.
Old 01.01.2018, 03:17 PM   #52
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Johnny Dowd - Twinkle, Twinkle

Due to be released in the next couple of weeks. All songs on it are in the public domain. I heard Johnny play some tunes from it live in November. One of them was a version of Tom Dooley that would send the members of The Kingston Trio into cardiac arrest. Relly looking forward to hearing this album.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2018, 02:00 AM   #53
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
hehehe NME´s looking forward to list. http://www.nme.com/photos/music-phot...leases-2160449

is new Interpol record something to look forward to? I do not think so. it is coming out though.

off the topic. man what is the story with Lana´s Del Rey lawsuit? did not know that. this lawsuit is the most stoopid thing since The Verve lost the rights to Better Sweet Symphony (even though that one is def. more successful then Get Free).

Old 01.10.2018, 08:22 AM   #54
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Off topic, but I saw a Johnathan Richmond show, and he demanded silence from the audience through his set, while he played. I could've kissed him. Seriously, unless an emergency breaks out in the next 90 minutes or so, shut the fuck up.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2018, 11:30 AM   #55
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
hehehe NME´s looking forward to list. http://www.nme.com/photos/music-phot...leases-2160449

is new Interpol record something to look forward to? I do not think so. it is coming out though.

Whoah, What a shit list! I’m as down with Spiritualized and MBV as the next guy, but surely they don’t represent the apex of musical excitement in 2018. And, Jesus, Interpol? The Prodigy? Arctic Monkeys? Is it suddenly 2008 again?

Fucking depressing.

Quote:
off the topic. man what is the story with Lana´s Del Rey lawsuit? did not know that. this lawsuit is the most stoopid thing since The Verve lost the rights to Better Sweet Symphony (even though that one is def. more successful then Get Free).

That “Bittersweet Synphony” thing always wakes my brain. I swear reading back when the Stones first sued that the iconic strings were actually not the sample in question, but that it was something much smaller, like a triangle flourish or something. I don’t know now. Someone convinced me I was remembering things incorrectly last year, and now I don’t know what to say because I don’t care enough to look it up or to listen to whatever Stones live album the offending sample comes from.

Aaaanyway, I guess Radiohead isn' suing Lana Del Rey now... or at least that’s what their publicist says? I dunno. That song definitely steals the entire chord structure and melody from the “Creep” verse though. It really does. But Thom Yorke & Co. don’t seem like band to stress over such things. Otherwise, wouldn’t they have sued Coldplay and Muse like nine times by now?
Old 01.12.2018, 08:28 AM   #56
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I like that Anna Kendrick. She reminds me of Emma Roberts. Except Emma Roberts looks like trouble.

I listened to Good Kid Maad City last week for the first time in a while and it's still GD brilliant. There was a rumor that I don't like K.Dot anymore but those rumors have been greatly exaggerated. It's actually more the opposite. Dude's records just got so epic and complex and deep, and my mood/ears/soul weren't in the headspace for epic, complex and deep. We all pretend that art is something we can like point to and state facts and be 'right'. It reminds me of Andy on The Office trying to be an art critic... "this food is bad... this movie is bad... this painting is bad." - but straight up it all boils down to "how does it make you feel RIGHT NOW?" so whatevs.

ANYWAY to get on topic there's a couple albums that came out today that piqued my interest...

First up is a new one by Dr. Lonnie Smith called All In My Mind. I was hoping for a second there that the title meant it would be another record of Beck covers but no haha. It does apparently include a 9 min version of "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover," though. Have I ever talked about my mixed feelings on that song? I don't think there's any other song in the history of songs that makes me feel such extremes. The verses are fucking awesome. And the chorus is fucking stupid. I hope Lonnie does 9 mins of riffing on jsut the verse chord progression or something haha.

Secondly, there's a new Big Star live album out from 73(ish?), which apparently had been released as one of the discs in a box set from 2009 that I actually totally forgot was ever released. SO I guess this is sort of redundant but it's still nice to see another standalone live album.
Old 01.14.2018, 04:38 AM   #57
greenlight
invito al cielo

forcedexposure2 / The amazing debut of Wet Tuna -- forthcoming LP on Feeding Tube “"Utterly boo-licious debut slab by this new duo, made up of Matt 'MV' Valentine and Pat 'P.G. Six' Gubler, who have been in cahoots since the near-forgotten days of Memphis Luxure. The pair (mostly known for guitar-aktion) create a full band's worth of jams using percussion and keys and all-else. The results make for one of the more mind-melting platters to've hit the Valley in a good while. Like many of the best sides this pair has been associated with, the music on Livin' The Die is an elegant balance of ramble and spear. The songs' formats are as loose as Earl Butz's shoes but each of them is lanced with guitar sounds as tight as his legendary fist. Around these spumes of electric menace you'll find rings of crazy space burble, vocals so deeply layered they sound like something happening in the back of Daevid Allen's brain. But large swathes of the album are rurally expansive, as befits the mountainside on which it was recorded. Pods of guitar-pedal-whomp slowly surface in the middle of whirling sea of harmonica slurps, juice harp bwongs and vocals as dreamy as they are lost. Roll a bone or be one. The choice, as always, is yours." --Byron Coley

Old 01.14.2018, 07:35 AM   #58
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Dr. Lonnie Smith "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover,".
if you want to find out before the album is there, check out youtube. There are a couple of live versions out there. You might be disappointed. Or not, see for yourself.
Not my cup of tea anyway, I don't like the sound of those jazz guitarists especially. It did remind me a bit of Dans Dans though, which is a band I do love. Listen to Yesterday Is Here for instance on that link.

Which brings me back on-topic to this thread!
Flying Horseman will release their new album at the end of this month.
I already heard many of those songs live about a year or so ago. Very good, but more electronica/experimental based than guitar-driven as their older albums are.

Both bands are from Belgium and are fronted by the same guy: Bert Dockx. He's the new Tom Barman if that makes any sense. Very very underrated.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2018, 04:11 PM   #59
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
NPVR is moniker taken on board by PITA AKA Peter Rehberg and Factory Floor's Nick Void. 33 33 is their debut recording made in July, 2017 at The Premises, London. Peter and Nik both share formidable reputations in the post industrial shape-shifting world of sound and form with a vast range of releases and collaborative endeavours over a number of years. Together they tie together their collective experience into a vast array of sonic devices unleashing an album of pragmatic imbalance and psychedelic orientation. Blurring the lines of techno, ambient, avant garde, noise etc 33 33 positions itself in the nebulous realm of contemporary (dis)comfort presenting itself on the border of music and sound, the social and the private.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMfBSViQjLc
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2018, 03:02 PM   #60
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
if you want to find out before the album is there, check out youtube. There are a couple of live versions out there. You might be disappointed. Or not, see for yourself.
Not my cup of tea anyway, I don't like the sound of those jazz guitarists especially. It did remind me a bit of Dans Dans though, which is a band I do love. Listen to Yesterday Is Here for instance on that link.

I listened to the Lonnie Smith album over the weekend. I like it. "50 Ways" came out really good actually. It's still early, but I may actually like this album more than Evolution from a couple years back.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth