Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.23.2015, 02:23 PM   #46681
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
pps- my wife just walked in and asked "what was that horrible music?" ha ha ha

And it's a DOUBLE album.

I take your point about rock=sex. And I suppose "Hot for Teacher" is an amusing twist. Just gets old. Or maybe I'm a prude.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2015, 03:34 PM   #46682
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
And it's a DOUBLE album.

I take your point about rock=sex. And I suppose "Hot for Teacher" is an amusing twist. Just gets old. Or maybe I'm a prude.

ha ha ha maybe. and yeah it gets old when it's TOO low IQ

here's a funny writeup on that. it's one of the best things i've ever read on the dc music scene-- not because it's 100% correct but because of what it says about the evolution of "rock" in general. i've posted it here many times before but here it goes again:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/a...on-the-killjoy

the author (i've met him in person) is a baby boomer. mckaye while technically born within boomer years was a sort of gen-x prophet--slightly ahead of his time. on the one hand the author is right about many things he says, on the other hand he's still worshipping rockstars like it's another era. their ideological split is also generational. of course that doesn't make mckaye less of a prude who deserves some of the hilarious criticism hurled at him. unraveling this ultimately irrelevant cultural dialectic turns out to be an entertaining exercise in the end though. have fun with it.

====

well, fuck, i love this album. people call it protopunk and velvet-underground influenced and that is true, but i can't help also hearing the doors all over it-- it's the keyboards and the blues beat in tracks like roadrunner and astral plane and old world and she cracked that make them sound like the happier cousins of the stooges a little bit... then the album changes into the children of european son or something. instant classic! lololol. (that was a good list of hackneyed expressions in that previous post.) but seriously a great album-- if it had been released when it was recorded i wonder if it would have been ignored or if it would have had a greater influence. we'll never know.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2015, 06:02 PM   #46683
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
One of my favorites since the 70s, symbol-man. I "discovered" it about 2 years after it came out. I now have five distinct issues of it.
Old 05.23.2015, 09:53 PM   #46684
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqLru6WvUyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itG4Cpjd6CM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhvTezdBCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk0HvTplEfo

it is cold and as such I am in the mood for abstract electronic sounds. everyone listen to what I listen to because I am the greatest.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2015, 09:57 PM   #46685
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
whether or not I necessarily agree with what severian says, and regardless of whether I actually like half of what he listens to, or gel with his writing style, this is all irrelevant because the guy obviously has a passion for music that runs a bit deeper than some of us and to shit on him for this reason purely is pretty ridiculous when he seems to be one of the few people with a desire to actually expand what he's listening to rather than harping on about exile on fucking main street like certain self righteous haemorrhoids on here

also mortte pucker yr cheeks cos yr anus is in for some sweet tongue axxion

Old 05.24.2015, 12:51 AM   #46686
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Guest, have I said something bad to you or whatīs your problem?

The easiest thing is to think "there is Genteel who poisons all and everything else is just beautiful as flowers here". I think the whole SYG (maybe the whole internet) is full of strange attitudes and strange behaviour towards those who are not a part of that mode. I have met the same things here as Severian now did for the difference I didnīt have any friends who defense me like Severian has had.

I know I canīt write about the music like Severian just because my English skills. But can somebody finally tell me why it seem to be "cooler" to listen and write about new music than old music? I havenīt seen lots of writings about Exile, there are lots of great old music nobody has ever discussed here (itīs always the same Velvet, the Kinks, Bowie, Beefheart, Stooges, Modern Lovers & 76-79 punk & new wave are great). Have you all read some "What Sy-fan should listen and what not"-book?

I really have felt almost all of my time here some people seem to be better than the others and those who are not should not be here. And I think Severian has always been in that "better" peopleīs group, this has been first time somebodies say something against him and then there is some guest who is really upset. And I think you will be glad because I am going to continue to be here, the naive myself.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 06:42 AM   #46687
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Yeah, you have posted that before. And I still don't get why one thing has to destroy another, instead of simply presenting an option. As a consumer, don't you sometimes want dumb and sometimes want smart?

Anyway, I can think of a lot of rock that is fun and political, so I'm not sure I see the boundaries. Chuck Berry's "Brown Eyed Handsome Man," the very dancable Gang of Four, etc. And maybe I'm just an empty-headed tool, but I'm pretty sure the politics in the rock I listened to in my formative years did have an effect, and I think I still retained a sense of humor.

Quote:
but i can't help also hearing the doors all over it

!!! Johnathan Richman as Jim Morrison's weird, talented cousin suddenly makes the record even better.

I'm gonna spin this one later today, I think.

----

How did we get on the subject of music? We're supposed to be fighting.

Faggot.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 08:13 AM   #46688
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo

The easiest thing is to think "there is Genteel who poisons all and everything else is just beautiful as flowers here". I think the whole SYG (maybe the whole internet) is full of strange attitudes and strange behaviour towards those who are not a part of that mode. I have met the same things here as Severian now did for the difference I didnīt have any friends who defense me like Severian has had.

I know I canīt write about the music like Severian just because my English skills. But can somebody finally tell me why it seem to be "cooler" to listen and write about new music than old music? I havenīt seen lots of writings about Exile, there are lots of great old music nobody has ever discussed here (itīs always the same Velvet, the Kinks, Bowie, Beefheart, Stooges, Modern Lovers & 76-79 punk & new wave are great). Have you all read some "What Sy-fan should listen and what not"-book?

I really have felt almost all of my time here some people seem to be better than the others and those who are not should not be here. And I think Severian has always been in that "better" peopleīs group, this has been first time somebodies say something against him and then there is some guest who is really upset. And I think you will be glad because I am going to continue to be here, the naive myself.
haha no you haven't done anything to me and again I was just being a conscious arse and for that I apologise BUT I'm unsure as to what you're saying about an ignorance of 'old'(er) music, perhaps it's just because it exists outside of the traditional rockist canon?? also I find a bit of a problem in being so unerringly backward-facing in your musical choices when the band whose forum we're all polluting (SONIC YOUTH) seemed so desirous to totally subvert and negate all of it. to deride music purely on the basis of its being new is such a stale, tiresome argument at this point because, as all the music posted herein suggests there's a fuckload of brilliant stuff going on in the world nowadays that far exceeds much of what has come beforehand.

// whatever

eddie prevost & evan parker - most materiall. two golden gods of british free improv going at it.

john fahey - fare forward voyagers. the peak of his hypnotic extended guitar work, relatively coherent and incredibly melodic especially when compared to his later long-form works on womblife.

Old 05.24.2015, 09:14 AM   #46689
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
haha no you haven't done anything to me and again I was just being a conscious arse and for that I apologise BUT I'm unsure as to what you're saying about an ignorance of 'old'(er) music, perhaps it's just because it exists outside of the traditional rockist canon?? also I find a bit of a problem in being so unerringly backward-facing in your musical choices when the band whose forum we're all polluting (SONIC YOUTH) seemed so desirous to totally subvert and negate all of it. to deride music purely on the basis of its being new is such a stale, tiresome argument at this point because, as all the music posted herein suggests there's a fuckload of brilliant stuff going on in the world nowadays that far exceeds much of what has come beforehand.
I have to disagree with you. Yes, I think SY-members are really music lovers and listen very much stuff outside traditional rock canon, but I havenīt read any statements from them theyīre against it. In the re-release of SY first album Glenn Branca says one reason to publish SY is that rock was changing to disco in NY that time. So they were much more conservative than revolutionary that time. Also, they have covered Alice Cooper, Beatles, Captain Beefheart, the Carpenters. Thurston has admitted Doctorīs Orders riff has taken from the Stones Dancing with mr. D. There was even Yessongs in Thurstonīs albumlist.

I have nothing against new music, really great if you find new that satisfies you. I just think itīs very poor if you donīt know much about the history of pop music (more than just Hendrix, Beatles, Stones etc.). Or do you think it would have been great thing if someone had said "There are some Mozarts notes, letīs burn them, we donīt need this old stuff". Also, I am interested in all kinds of music, not just rock classics.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 11:09 AM   #46690
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses

Old 05.24.2015, 11:21 AM   #46691
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses

confusion is next is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 12:42 PM   #46692
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo

Hey, Now... I've never been anything but nice to you. I know we disagree about some bands and stuff, but I've never thought you were uncool because of your taste in music. I honestly don't think like that. I think judging people based on the music they listen to is insanely stupid, and I feel that people should be able to completely disagree about music and still be totally civil and even friendly with one another.

Honestly, when I see your name, I read your posts because I have always liked you. So I'm not sure why you think I'm "better" than anyone, least of all you. But if I've given you that impression I truly do apologize.

And finally, if you read more of my posts you'd know that I am a massive fan of a lot of the artists you listed. The Kinks and Captain Beefheart especially. I'm a total drooling fanboy for both, as well as the Stooges and Bowie and VU. Old music is great!

I really would love to be done talking about this now, because I'm not interested in having unproductive, negative conversations. But I'm a little shocked to hear how you think of me. I wanted to let you know that I see things totally differently. I don't care what music you like. Well- actually I do. I like talking about music, even if it's music I don't like. But I don't dislike you because you like Led Zeppelin. And I'm pretty careful not to say "Led Zeppelin sucks," because it's not objectively true. I try to say "they're not my kind of thing, but I enjoy this song and that song well enough."

anyway, my apologies if I've ever made you feel judged, or given you the impression that I thought you were inferior. Maybe I should be saying this in a pm, but his is how I feel about everyone. I judge people for how they treat others, more than anything else. You're not an asshole to people, so you're a-ok with me.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 01:08 PM   #46693
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, you have posted that before. And I still don't get why one thing has to destroy another, instead of simply presenting an option. As a consumer, don't you sometimes want dumb and sometimes want smart?

Anyway, I can think of a lot of rock that is fun and political, so I'm not sure I see the boundaries. Chuck Berry's "Brown Eyed Handsome Man," the very dancable Gang of Four, etc. And maybe I'm just an empty-headed tool, but I'm pretty sure the politics in the rock I listened to in my formative years did have an effect, and I think I still retained a sense of humor.

!!! Johnathan Richman as Jim Morrison's weird, talented cousin suddenly makes the record even better.

I'm gonna spin this one later today, I think.

----

How did we get on the subject of music? We're supposed to be fighting.

Faggot.

I've always thought of Richman as kind of a "Morrison for the rest of us" -- the comparison definitely works, and I think it makes the Modern Lovers that much more interesting as a whole.

Incidentally, I once hear someone make a similar statement about Sonic Youth and The Beatles. I was arguing that SY's influence on more straight forward "rock-type" artists was probably less the result of people actually listening to their music and trying to replicate it than it was a by-product of their industry influence; all the networking, PR and marketing they did for bands from their larger community.

But my friend said that he'd always considered SY to be, essentially, a pop band in the tradition of the Beatles. A self-contained unit of four personalities, all of which contributed to the writing and sound of the band. Sure, they were a pretty extra-terrestrial kind of "pop" band, but they were like a perfect pop-rock entity, like the Beatles only from another dimension, often imitated but never replicated.

I thought this made SY even more fun to listen to. I'm still not sure if I agree, but thinking of them this way has made for some interesting comparisons. Suddenly "Karen Koltrane" feels a bit like "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" and Murray Street feels a bit like Abbey Road. It's empty speculation at best, but it kinda makes a lot of sense. Jim O'Rourke would be the Billy Preston of the bunch, I guess?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 01:57 PM   #46694
lo-fi suicide
bad moon rising

lo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asses

Old 05.24.2015, 02:10 PM   #46695
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses

confusion is next is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 02:48 PM   #46696
lo-fi suicide
bad moon rising

lo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asses

Old 05.24.2015, 03:40 PM   #46697
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

it his criticism was directed not at saintliness itself (he speaks of a "big tent") but at mackaye's puritanism looming large over the dc scene around that era. he does it by exaggerating the opposite pole. the results are hilarious, but false. still, your van halen post brought that dialectic to mind. just wanted to illustrate its recurrence. mackaye in some interview talks about how when he was a kid all these rockstars were self-destructing and he wanted to avoid precisely that-- he mentions how the great john bonham went die at 32.

http://bandwidth.wamu.org/ian-mackay...ull-the-blade/

And I mean, John Bonham, he died at 32 years old, one of the greatest drummers of all time.

one of the greatest drummers of all time! take that, zeppelin hater! ha ha ha.

anyway...

Quote:

i don't know that he was "weird" compared to morrison. he was awkward maybe and an innocent and earnest and not death-obsessed-- morrison is the weirdo here. richman is normal... he's straight! and he wants to... take your place. because you're always stoned.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 07:30 PM   #46698
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
I was loving it until it got all pussyfied on this page.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2015, 07:35 PM   #46699
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
im selling free bourbon shots if anyone needs any now. money self made man made money and history. I was mad until 5*22*15 and saw the beach cruising on indica.
Old 05.24.2015, 08:04 PM   #46700
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

yeah Genteel is a prick. so what.
1835223522852325233223332334 2335 233623372338234523852435 > »
-->

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth