Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.04.2016, 05:17 PM   #20121
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Good to know. It keeps getting recommended to me on Amazon

Just rewatched

Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I've never been a big fan but always kind of enjoyed it. Still feel the same. Poor old Keanu Reeves is terrible and Gary Oldman hams it up unmercifully but in the end they both kind of add to the enjoyment of it all.
lol keanu! worst accent EVER

yeah w/ krampus the problem is that it's evidently a sentimental little flick about "the spirit of christmas" and in spite of the various terrors visited upon the protagonists you never really believe that it will end this way.

i'd say watch it to put a checkmark on that box/so that amazon recommends you something else, but have some bills to pay handy for when you're tired of rolling your eyes.

or who knows, maybe you'll like it. but yes-- christmas vacation, nightmare before christmas, alien, robocop, etc-- but all weak sauce.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2016, 06:05 PM   #20122
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Watch Bounty Killer.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2016, 06:12 PM   #20123
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Know what's funny? I was thinking of the wrong movie. My bad. I'm not sure I've ever seen this. I guess that means you were thinking of someone else. Funny stuff. I might check it out later. (Unless I did see it and did post about it, in which case I might be losing my marbles. Thanks Trump.)

Yeah actually when you said yours was better I just assumed it was your post I remembered. Obviously I was wrong. I blame Trump too.

Though I think you'd remember this one. I think for better or worse it would be pretty difficult to outright forget, Trump-induced psychosis or no.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2016, 06:21 PM   #20124
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
also saw KRAMPUS. fucking awful. good technical achievement in special effects but a bad hodgepodge of movie quotes from national lampoon's christmas vacation to an assortment of horror flicks from gremlins to tremors to terminator to alien---but not in a good way.

you can have it on while playing games on your phone though

Oh man, yeah... what a disappointment. I was actually quite looking forward to it because I saw this promo image:

... and I was like AWESOME! (Looks totally cool and sinister, right?)
Anyway, a short while into the movie I started to suspect that it was going to disappoint. I realized it was PG-13, and that more or less blew it. What a stinkeroo.
Old 12.04.2016, 06:27 PM   #20125
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
lol keanu! worst accent EVER

yeah w/ krampus the problem is that it's evidently a sentimental little flick about "the spirit of christmas" and in spite of the various terrors visited upon the protagonists you never really believe that it will end this way.

i'd say watch it to put a checkmark on that box/so that amazon recommends you something else, but have some bills to pay handy for when you're tired of rolling your eyes.

or who knows, maybe you'll like it. but yes-- christmas vacation, nightmare before christmas, alien, robocop, etc-- but all weak sauce.

Have you ever seen Thumbsucker?
Little indie film from early '00s. Charming and good in kind of a Wes Anderson-lite kind of way. AAAAnyway, Keanu is in that movie, and he's actually quite brilliant. His bad acting works in his favor in his role as a "holistic" zenned out dentist (who's also a pretty good hypnotist). Total surfer dude earth-bro.
And he is just. fucking. hysterical. Seriously. It's like, you can tell he knows he's a pretty shitty actor, if only for this film, and he taps into the innate laziness that being a blockbuster "actor" who has zero acting ability requires to inspire what is really the best performance in the movie.

I recommend it. His part is small, and the film has already been forgotten by anyone who ever knew cared about it, but if Keanu has ever had a "moment," Thumbsucker was it.
Old 12.04.2016, 07:10 PM   #20126
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Have you ever seen Thumbsucker?
Little indie film from early '00s. Charming and good in kind of a Wes Anderson-lite kind of way. AAAAnyway, Keanu is in that movie, and he's actually quite brilliant. His bad acting works in his favor in his role as a "holistic" zenned out dentist (who's also a pretty good hypnotist). Total surfer dude earth-bro.
And he is just. fucking. hysterical. Seriously. It's like, you can tell he knows he's a pretty shitty actor, if only for this film, and he taps into the innate laziness that being a blockbuster "actor" who has zero acting ability requires to inspire what is really the best performance in the movie.

I recommend it. His part is small, and the film has already been forgotten by anyone who ever knew cared about it, but if Keanu has ever had a "moment," Thumbsucker was it.

i think i saw part of it but was annoyed or bored or something. i've seen bits of it.

i wasn't laughing at keanu himself-- only at his terrible terrible terrible terrible hilarious terrible english accent and affectations. it was to pair him with winona for the box office.

keanu was great actually on johnny mnemonic. also the one with the surfer parachutes bank robbers. keanu was great as bill (or ted? i forget who was who). and of course "whoa, i know kung fu" lolololol-- yes, neo. oh in private idaho he was good too.

keanu is alright. he was born for certain roles. the casting in dracula was most fucked up though.
Old 12.04.2016, 09:33 PM   #20127
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
i think i saw part of it but was annoyed or bored or something. i've seen bits of it.

i wasn't laughing at keanu himself-- only at his terrible terrible terrible terrible hilarious terrible english accent and affectations. it was to pair him with winona for the box office.

keanu was great actually on johnny mnemonic. also the one with the surfer parachutes bank robbers. keanu was great as bill (or ted? i forget who was who). and of course "whoa, i know kung fu" lolololol-- yes, neo. oh in private idaho he was good too.

keanu is alright. he was born for certain roles. the casting in dracula was most fucked up though.

Oh, Point Break. Yeah. Classic '90s cop romp. One of the best. Puts Speed to shame. I forgot about Johnny Mnemonic. Need to see that again. And yeah. Bill and Ted.

I feel like there are other actors out there who are just "for" certain roles, and they've flipped, changing it from a limitation into something that makes them coveted, and perhaps even results to roles being written basically FOR them. Like Brad Pitt. Not sure when it happened, but he turned into a damn good, classic kind of leading man. Brings his own personality to every role rather than losing himself in a character. A bit like Cary Grant in that way.
Georfe Cloony too to some extent. That guy really sucked early on. Found his groove somewhere along the way and has had a few really great performances at this point. Not a ton, but a few.
Old 12.04.2016, 09:52 PM   #20128
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
About to start Ladyhawke, because why the fuck not.
Old 12.04.2016, 11:13 PM   #20129
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ANIMAL HOUSE

stupider and funnier than i remembered. looks great on bluray actually.
Old 12.05.2016, 07:48 AM   #20130
atmos
empty page

atmos has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I saw Herzog's "Lo and Behold: Reveries of a Connected World" last week.

It's a doc that covers topics such as the birth & the future of the internet, AI, humans going to Mars, and with such broad subject matter it can't help but be interesting. There's a bit of Herzog making his Herzoggy jokes, a couple of odd characters we've come to expect and some humourous editing, but what really makes it worth watching is the lite-reflection of where the internet's at and where it could go.

I enjoyed it more than 'Into the Inferno', (his recent volcano doc) which is also worth a watch.
atmos is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2016, 09:39 AM   #20131
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
That documentary about the oil fires in Iraq was awesome, Verdi soundtrack especially....
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2016, 10:04 AM   #20132
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
You've said this sort of thing a few times before and I still can't get my head around it. So anything not from 'murica you can't watch? It's kind of a dim statement to say you can't watch something cos it's from Britain. No less dim if you had said Spain or wherever else.

it's that I don't care about it's concerns. It is a cultural thing. I do not enjoy much Brit-written sci-fi either. no biggie. don't find it or Dr. Who or Red Dwarf entertaining. I hate most Spanish movies too, concerned so much with their bullshit romantic fatalism and shit. fuck spanish movies.
Old 12.05.2016, 11:01 AM   #20133
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses

Saw this yesterday. It's a neat lesbian love/heist film. Really liked it. When it goes back and replays scenes, it's shown from a different perspective and it's done wonderfully. And wow...the length. 2hr43m. Definitely worth a watch though.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2016, 11:08 AM   #20134
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost

Saw this yesterday. It's a neat lesbian love/heist film. Really liked it. When it goes back and replays scenes, it's shown from a different perspective and it's done wonderfully. And wow...the length. 2hr43m. Definitely worth a watch though.

oh hell

thanks dude. i'd like to see that
Old 12.05.2016, 11:10 AM   #20135
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I hate most Spanish movies too, concerned so much with their bullshit romantic fatalism and shit. fuck spanish movies.

aaaahaaaa haaaaa haaaa!

yes, it's true there's a lot of that

i mostly like that stuff though--over the top high drama--a bit like opera
Old 12.05.2016, 12:06 PM   #20136
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it's that I don't care about it's concerns. It is a cultural thing. I do not enjoy much Brit-written sci-fi either. no biggie. don't find it or Dr. Who or Red Dwarf entertaining. I hate most Spanish movies too, concerned so much with their bullshit romantic fatalism and shit. fuck spanish movies.

I kinda get where you're coming from actually. The regional and cultural elements of genre books/films/tv can make it tough to enjoy the story if you're not already big on the culture itself. Oddly, I kinda feel this way about skme Japanese horror. A lot of it just seems to come from a place that doesn't interest me, and maybe makes me a bit uncomfortable at times. It's not a strict thing, but I'm somewhat out off by some of the tropes, particularly with regard to women, school girls, etc.

I've always been a bit of a Anglophile. Grew up on Beatles, Doctor Who and Monty Python. That's not to say I love all the BBC stuff (never been a Red Dwarf fan either) but I have always kind of had a thing for the culture. You know, Tolkien and Douglas Adams and all that. Pip pip, cheerio! "I've got blisters on my fingers!" etc.
Old 12.06.2016, 12:21 AM   #20137
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Gladiator.
Old 12.06.2016, 06:40 AM   #20138
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

I've always been a bit of a Anglophile. Grew up on Beatles, Doctor Who and Monty Python. That's not to say I love all the BBC stuff (never been a Red Dwarf fan either) but I have always kind of had a thing for the culture. You know, Tolkien and Douglas Adams and all that. Pip pip, cheerio! "I've got blisters on my fingers!" etc.

“God save the Queen and a fascist regime … a flabby toothless fascism, to be sure. Never go too far in any direction, is the basic law on which Limey-Land is built. The Queen stabilizes the whole sinking shithouse and keeps a small elite of wealth and privilege on top. The English have gone soft in the outhouse. England is like some stricken beast too stupid to know it is dead. Ingloriously foundering in its own waste products, the backlash and bad karma of empire”

William S Burroughs, Place of Dead Roads
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2016, 09:22 AM   #20139
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
And yet he chose to live here for over a decade.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2016, 10:16 AM   #20140
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
“God save the Queen and a fascist regime … a flabby toothless fascism, to be sure. Never go too far in any direction, is the basic law on which Limey-Land is built. The Queen stabilizes the whole sinking shithouse and keeps a small elite of wealth and privilege on top. The English have gone soft in the outhouse. England is like some stricken beast too stupid to know it is dead. Ingloriously foundering in its own waste products, the backlash and bad karma of empire”

William S Burroughs, Place of Dead Roads

I just mean I like double decker buses and and London architecture and dry humor is all.

I'm not a fan of the social structures of British society. Not a fan of the archaic ideas of "good breeding," class, propriety. Not a fan of Imperialism. Just like the color blue, Beatlemania totally makes sense to me, and they appreciate the importance of good Christmas decorations.
507907957997100410051006 1007 100810091010101710571107 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth