Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page From Bowery to Broome to Greene
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.09.2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
In Hyperstation, Thurston sings "From Bowery to Broome to Greene, I'm a walking lizard..." I just thought of something tonight. Daydream Nation was recorded at Greene St. studios. At the time, Kim and Thurston lived on Orchard St. (I'm pretty sure). If walking from their apartment to the studio, that's one of the most obvious routes they could have taken. I wonder if he thought of that lyric after walking to the studio?

And yes, I suppose I need to get out more...
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2007, 11:14 PM   #2
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
AH the brilliance youth of our generation, can be found in the internet.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2007, 01:23 AM   #3
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
AH the brilliance youth of our generation, can be found in the internet.

Youth? I wish! Whenever you feel like trading ages with me, just let me know!
Old 03.10.2007, 01:27 AM   #4
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
random addition, but in Stereo Sanctity Thurston mentions Orchard & Delancey which are basically in the Bowery
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2007, 01:46 AM   #5
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneg
random addition, but in Stereo Sanctity Thurston mentions Orchard & Delancey which are basically in the Bowery

True dat! Yes, those two streets intersect, so I would guess their apartment was near that intersection.
Old 03.10.2007, 09:58 PM   #6
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
walking lizard/talking baby wizzard= awesome elementary school poetry

i mean that in the best way, of course
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2007, 05:54 AM   #7
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneg
I was reading in that Mix Tapes book he talks about how in the 80's Orchard and Delancey was the mecca of hip hop stores/gear.

...Last night's dream was a talking baby wizard.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 10:47 AM   #8
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
True dat! Yes, those two streets intersect, so I would guess their apartment was near that intersection.

Orchard & Delancy really aren't "in" the Bowery...Delancey runs into Bowery (3rd Ave), but starts at the East River. Orchard is where all the money launderers dump their weird ass super cheap leather shit made in strange overseas locations (but they take US cash), the money launderers import the leather and then sell it, the cash is now washed.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 09:36 PM   #9
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Orchard & Delancy really aren't "in" the Bowery...Delancey runs into Bowery (3rd Ave), but starts at the East River. Orchard is where all the money launderers dump their weird ass super cheap leather shit made in strange overseas locations (but they take US cash), the money launderers import the leather and then sell it, the cash is now washed.

I think most people would just call that neighborhood the "Lower East Side." Is there even such a neighborhood as "The Bowery" these days? Is the Bowery anything other than that street?
Old 03.13.2007, 10:53 PM   #10
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
all the places mentioned in this thread are pretty much in the same general area. it would be fair to say the general location would be the lower east side although if you want to get specific...
Old 03.14.2007, 08:57 AM   #11
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
all the places mentioned in this thread are pretty much in the same general area. it would be fair to say the general location would be the lower east side although if you want to get specific...

Some old timers probably wouldn't consider the Bowery part of the Lower East Side (LES) really. I've heard people get defensive about anything above Delancey being LES! These days the Bowery especially from Houston up to 14th is being transformed, what I call the reglistening of the Bowery, there are all these shiny glass apt buildings that have gone up on formerly stark blocks, and several more along this strip are going up.

I like to travel around the american old northeast former industrial cities, there are many ghosts there, and you can feel how dynamic cities used to be and what has been lost, but maybe all people everywhere all the time would have been too much for me.
Old 03.14.2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
You hear so much about the east village and lower east side with sonic youth, is it really that awesome? anyone been? live there?
Old 03.14.2007, 04:06 PM   #13
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
You hear so much about the east village and lower east side with sonic youth, is it really that awesome? anyone been? live there?
i'm moving to the city in two weeks. there's a lot of stores and restaurants i like around the village and the lower east side. but there's a lot of stuff i like all over new york. a lot of "cool" people are kind of invading the area though which sucks. it's becoming trendy, which is actually sort of ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Some old timers probably wouldn't consider the Bowery part of the Lower East Side (LES) really. I've heard people get defensive about anything above Delancey being LES! These days the Bowery especially from Houston up to 14th is being transformed, what I call the reglistening of the Bowery, there are all these shiny glass apt buildings that have gone up on formerly stark blocks, and several more along this strip are going up.

I like to travel around the american old northeast former industrial cities, there are many ghosts there, and you can feel how dynamic cities used to be and what has been lost, but maybe all people everywhere all the time would have been too much for me.

the bowery really is not part of LES, it's more or less it's own neighborhood, but it's close enough for government work. i hate the fucking gentrification of the bowery. they destroyed everything that was great about it.
Old 03.15.2007, 01:21 AM   #14
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
what was great about it that is different now? i dont really see a big difference, except maybe it got safer and less seedy, but that goes for most of the city...

anyway, its great, come and visit. most of the city is great and seeing how you're from Britain, everything will seem cheap...
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 09:53 AM   #15
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz
what was great about it that is different now? i dont really see a big difference, except maybe it got safer and less seedy, but that goes for most of the city...
yeah you don't get offered heroin on the street by 13 year olds anymore...and you're less likely to get mugged by junkies cuz most of the junkies down there are now rich or high level whores...the heroin scene is all delivery now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz
most of the city is great and seeing how you're from Britain, everything will seem cheap...
Never mind cheap, it'll all seem half price!!!

NYC is still a soul sucking machine that will crush you without even trying if you don't pay attention. That's the free starbucks talking.
Old 05.30.2008, 08:24 AM   #16
sarramkrop

Bumped because this thread is a good read.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 08:57 AM   #17
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
you wont notice obviously if youre just coming for a visit, but i didnt mention prices on everything esp apartment are through the roof, so lot of people cant afford LES anymore. Thats been true for past 10 years. Bowery changed a lot just in last 5 years, even between 2 years ago and now it is pretty unbelievable, that intersection of Bleecker and Bowery where CBGB used to be.

read somewhere that tourists will save us from recession here in NYC, so all you people should come and spend your money here, for real.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 09:02 AM   #18
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

i miss my apt on the lower east side

what they have done to the bowery is disgraceful
there's a sign that says space available on the CB's awning and they're building like high rises everywhere.
Old 05.31.2008, 11:55 AM   #19
agoston
little trouble girl

agoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's asses
Go to the Mars Bar if you want a piece on old New York/LES. It's around the corner from where CB's was. It's a GG Allin shit-hole but a great place nonetheless - and will eventuall be yet another memory of downtown of yesteryear
agoston is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2008, 02:22 PM   #20
tesla69
Banned

People have been saying that about the East Village since I first moved to NYC in 87!

Walking through Williamsburg last night, fucking fighting my way through the hordes of slaves dressed like they're sarah jessica parker or one of her cuntsuckers, it made me think that just as soon as the scene there could become bourgoise and boring and pretentious, it did - with all their chi chi cocktail clubs and poseur lounges!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth