Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim: 'Radiohead made other musicians look bad'
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.05.2009, 10:06 AM   #1
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth: 'Radiohead made other musicians look bad'

Pic: James Quinton

Cult band also talk about their controversial record on Starbucks label

Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon has claimed that Radiohead showed up smaller, poorer bands with the release of 2007's 'In Rainbows', calling their release plan a "marketing ploy".

Radiohead let their fans pay as much or little as they wanted for the download release of the album, with many fans choosing to download it free.

Gordon has refuted the idea that the Oxford band put out the album off their own backs, criticising the plan.

"They did a marketing ploy by themselves and then got someone else to put it out," she told The Guardian.

She added: "It seemed really community-oriented, but it wasn't catered towards their musician brothers and sisters, who don't sell as many records as them. It makes everyone else look bad for not offering their music for whatever.

"It was a good marketing ploy and I wish I'd thought of it! But we're not in that position either. We might not have been able to put out a record for another couple of years if we'd done it ourselves. And it takes away from the actual making music."

In the same interview, co-frontman Lee Ranaldo spoke about Hits Are For Squares', the compilation record Sonic Youth put out on the Starbucks label last year.

"We thought we'd try it and see what happens," he said. "There's a certain side to this group that likes perversity, and that's a pretty perverse concept.

"At that time, Starbucks were selling records when no one else was. The majors were throwing up their hands. The irony is, for all the spewing it caused on the blogs, it is our most rare record. I have never seen a copy in a store, and I've never met anyone who's seen a copy in a store."

Sonic Youth's new album, 'The Eternal' is out on Monday (June 8).
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 10:13 AM   #2
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
i've seen hits are for squares in a starbucks!
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
thanks. and here is the full interview:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...uth-rock-music
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 11:17 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Kim's right on about Radiohead making everyone else look bad for not adopting similiar policies.

Not to mention they suck ass musically.

(except kid a)

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Weren't you going to great lengths defending Kid A once?
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 01:09 PM   #6
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Isn't this the same sort of argument that's been going on over internet music for some time now? Radiohead took thier album and cut out the middle man (i.e. record label), they gave thier fans who have been buying thier albums and going to thier shows for years this gift. And sure maybe they are lucky enough to afford to do this, good for them. Its not a model they're sticking to, they just had an album already recorded and no other way to get it out to the fans so they said here you go, download it, pay a small fee, what the fuck do we care?
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 01:31 PM   #7
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
pay a small fee if you will, that is what happened.
good for them who could afford it, but what about the countless others who have to shit blood in order to pay with their own money to make a record?

Kim's totally fucking right.
Old 06.05.2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Theremin
little trouble girl

Theremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Isn't this the same sort of argument that's been going on over internet music for some time now? Radiohead took thier album and cut out the middle man (i.e. record label), they gave thier fans who have been buying thier albums and going to thier shows for years this gift. And sure maybe they are lucky enough to afford to do this, good for them. Its not a model they're sticking to, they just had an album already recorded and no other way to get it out to the fans so they said here you go, download it, pay a small fee, what the fuck do we care?
Indeed, after like 2 years maybe everyone should kinda get over it already.
Theremin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 01:39 PM   #9
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Kim is wrong. It wasn't a marketing ploy... I downloaded the record at the price I set. How is that a ploy?

The point being made by Radiohead is it is impossible to control intellectual property in the current digital age. But if you give people some credit and provide the source for what they are looking to download they will respond fairly (average download price set by radiohead fans 4 pounds, about $6.50).

Is there even a download only version of the eternal available from Matador? Kim is right about one thing... Radiohead is making her look bad, and rightfully so.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 01:46 PM   #10
cdollaz
little trouble girl

cdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's asses
I can see both sides. It is a cool thing for a band to do. But she is right that it may create an expectation that all bands can afford to do it.
cdollaz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
kim has been in the music business for donkey's years. So she knows what she's talking about.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 02:28 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
Sonic Youth: 'Radiohead made other musicians look bad'

She added: "It seemed really community-oriented, but it wasn't catered towards their musician brothers and sisters, who don't sell as many records as them. It makes everyone else look bad for not offering their music for whatever." [emphasis added]

they see me rollin..

they hatin..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
A million Radiohead fans across the internet rage and writhe in anger.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 02:48 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
radiohead bores pink floyd style
Old 06.05.2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
they see me rollin..

they hatin..

I met chamillionaire a year ago. nice guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2MXQXj5y0
Old 06.05.2009, 02:57 PM   #16
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Hits Are For Squares once at a record shop and didn't buy it. Goddamn it.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 02:59 PM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I have never seen a copy of Hits R 4 Squares
Old 06.05.2009, 03:07 PM   #18
cdollaz
little trouble girl

cdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's assescdollaz kicks all y'all's asses
I have a copy of Hits Are For Squares on the way right now via Music Boomerang.
cdollaz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 03:12 PM   #19
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
So wait, does Lee's quote imply that he looks through the Sonic Youth section when he goes to record stores? That's awesome.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 03:18 PM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I bet kim was laughing when she made that radiohead crack.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth