Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The new Electro Harmonix pedals
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.11.2006, 11:00 PM   #1
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I have been meeting musicians who use lots of kinds of pedals lately, and have gotten kind of a renewed interest in them. I'm usually a plug direct into the amp guy, but I recently purchased Electro Harmonix Big Muff (Russian Version) and Small Clone (chorus) pedals that I am quite pleased with. I also have a Turbo Rat which comparing to the Big Muff I'd have to say is more versatile sound-wise. You can get some great sounding 'ripped speaker' sounds from the Big Muff that are awesome though, not to mention tons of sustain.

There's something very aesthetically pleasing about Electro Harmonix's pedals, though I have heard mixed reactions about some of them. I'm currently thinking about scoring a Memory Man sometime in the future.

I'm curious to hear anybodys' experiences with EHX pedals.

These new ones might be quite cool, though they're probably beyond my price range:

The Hog:

The Electro-Harmonix HOG is a totally polyphonic guitar synthesizer, giving the user complete control of up to 10 interval pitches. Musicians can unveil an entirely new tone potential with anything from extreme sub bass to powerful multi-octave chords, including fifth and third intervals. Dedicated Filtering and envelope control, with numerous setup options, make the HOG a must-have performance instrument. And NO special pickup is required and NO glitches are created.

Features include:

10 intervals of pitch can be mixed by using 10 surface faders, which may then be played polyphonically with perfect tracking: · 1 octaves down · 1 octave + a perfect fifth · 2 octaves down · 2 octaves up · Original pitch · 2 octaves up + a major third · One Fifth up · 3 octaves up · 1 octave up · 4 octaves up
Six unique expression modes are accessible via the Exp button, expression pedal and MIDI. Octave bends, step bends, volume control, user defined Wah-Wah, Filter control, plus two unique freeze modes: With Freeze Gliss, an expression pedal freezes a chord while letting you play over it having your frozen notes gliss to meet your new notes. The Freeze Volume freezes a chord allowing you to control its volume, with an expression pedal, as you play on top of it.

An external “whammy” pedal and a momentary surface mounted Exp button, allow for real-time access and manipulation of all of the above expression modes. A new level of performance interaction.

Dual Envelope generators that work with both the higher and lower frequency ranges. Allows unique contours of attack and release in two different harmonic regions.

12 dB per octave 2-pole low pass filter and resonance controls manipulate the tone while also being a critical element within the expression modes.

Surface Foot access for True Bypass, expression control and envelope engagement.

Store performance presets when you use the optional external Electro-Harmonix foot controller.

2880:

The Electro-Harmonix 2880 offers the familiar control setup of a multitrack digital recorder while adding flexible looping capabilities and track manipulation control. Multiple loops, in stereo and mono, can be pitch shifted, reversed and manipulated on four recording tracks. These four tracks can then be moved to two mixdown tracks, freeing them up to be reused. Flexible punch in/out is available on any recording track, allowing the musician to achieve "Looper Perfection" with the 2880.

The 2880’s non-compressed audio utilizes a 44.1 k 16 bit CD fidelity while providing audio storage of 480 seconds for each of the six available tracks when using a 256 megabyte card (expandable to 2 gigabytes). With external in/out midi clocking, it also provides automatic format conversion to Mac or PC via USB.

Complex multitrack loops may be created and overlaid in a performance situation with ease. With more tracks, more control and more power, the 2880 is
Looping Heaven.

Flanger Hoax:

English Muff'n

Taking its roots from legendary British guitar amplifiers, the English Muff’n recreates their majesty and classic tone with spot-on accuracy. Rather than approximating these amps like "emulator" products on the market, the English Muff’n employs vacuum tubes, including one glovered 12AY7 cascading into another, to produce true Brit-valve sounds that are full of richness and natural saturation. You’ll come to rely on this amp-in-a-box...a bloody masterpiece!

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 12:04 AM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I want to get EH "The Worm" and the "Tubescreamer"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 12:06 AM   #3
RockerNino
bad moon rising

RockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's asses
the hog sounds tight. i only have 2 pedals. i need more! my next purchase will probably be a MXR phaser 90
RockerNino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 12:06 AM   #4
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
i've got the russian small stone and deluxe memory man. i want them all, though...

MM is fucking awesome. it's like buying 3 different pedals. it's made my guitar so much cooler. wicked feedback, too.

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 07:57 AM   #5
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
reading the reviews luckily the new EH pedals dont cause my interest.
they look to be always the same things with something more AND SOMETHING LESS.
it always good reading about this stuff,though.
next step is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:12 AM   #6
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Damn...the hog sounds amazing. It would be great for doing sludge stuff like Khanate and Boris on guitar since you can put it an octave down, and that way you dont have your strings rubbing on frets. I sooo want one, but my setup is pretty good right now.

I have A squier going through a multieffect with 14 effects and 36 memory slots, then through a Boss Gigadelay and into a Peavey Studio Pro amp. I then have a Boss Mr.Sample DR-202 going through input 2 of the Gigadelay. I record using Reel To Reel, it's pretty sweet.
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 10:29 PM   #7
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Quite unexpectedly, I acquired a favorable amount of money today that afforded me the opportunity to buy a

!!! It's fucking awesome!

Old 04.12.2006, 10:33 PM   #8
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
bass balls!!!!!!!!
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 11:57 PM   #9
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

vacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's asses
Can't go wrong with the Hot Tubes

or the vintage Micro synth, Hog looks nice too... But i do like the Flanger hoax, its pretty ridiculous...

U can also hear them in action here http://www.myspace.com/thecaptainsofenglish
vacuum noise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:37 AM   #10
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
good deal CHOUT! Analog delays are very warm respect the others digital.
I never tried a Deluxe Memory man but it should be a very soft one, right?

I have an Ibanez AD-80 and it gives a psychedelic karma to the sound!
Old 04.16.2006, 11:26 PM   #11
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
The HOG looks really cool for hands free guitar feedback melodies. Just use some duct tape to tape off where your intervals are and you could be playing some nice harmonies with whatever chord you've got ringing. The looper looks cool too.
Old 04.17.2006, 12:00 AM   #12
CHOUT
invito al cielo

I had a change of heart

After having the Memoryman for a few days, I decided this:
It is an amazing pedal, very 'warm' sounding (cliche' but true) and it makes you wanna play mellow new agey jazzy chords at slow tempos all day with the dreaminess it provides.
But I realized that at heart it is an analog delay/echo with vibrato/chorus blended in. The amount of delay it provides is very miniscule (300ms), and I decided it just isn't that flexible for the money.

I returned it and will be getting a Boss DD20 Gigadelay.

You can have up to 23 seconds of delay, it does sound on sound (make a loop and play live over it) among many other things.

Old 04.17.2006, 12:27 AM   #13
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I plan on getting a Hog, but I am sort of afraid I would use it more like a toy than an actually extension of my guitar as an instrument, as it just has so many tricks.

I'm probably gonna get a fuzz factory as my next pedal, they sound so fucking good.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 06:55 AM   #14
next step
the destroyed room

well I think analog and digital delays are 2 different things because they have 2 different utilizations. I would call all the digital DELAYS and all the analog ECHOES.
Old 04.17.2006, 09:00 AM   #15
onetamecookie
empty page

onetamecookie has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I did some work on a music video last year and rather than paying me in cash the director asked me what would i really like to have and i said this (basically coz i saw nels cline using one [actually the original analog version, but id never find one of those] and it was an amazing):

with this:

and i have to say, it the BEST THING i use with my guitar... you can create up to 5 minute loops with it (this being the digital reissue of the analog version that came out in the 70s), or use it as a simple delay, and then bounce yr loops back in reverse and pitch them up and down n stuff... i end up doing a lot of alvin lucier sitting-in-a-room inspired loop decay with it. the only annoying thing is the automatic count-in feature (i wouldnt dare try to sync a live loop with a drummer or something) but other than that it is the shit.
onetamecookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 11:40 AM   #16
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
Memory man is definitely an echo pedal, but also a great chorus pedal, a good vibrato pedal, and an awesome weird feedback-making pedal.

EH sent me their catalog with the MM, and now i want them all!

Old 04.17.2006, 09:43 PM   #17
Mudride
little trouble girl

Mudride has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
WOW, love it. Looks nice
Mudride is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 09:47 PM   #18
Lone Flanger
little trouble girl

Lone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's asses
They're finally issuing a Big Muff in a Hammond style (think MXR, but bigger) box, apparently.

About fucking time. There's no need for that giant case when the circuit inside doesn't even take up half the case.

I want a Boss RT-20.
Lone Flanger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 10:22 PM   #19
CHOUT
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by next step
well I think analog and digital delays are 2 different things because they have 2 different utilizations. I would call all the digital DELAYS and all the analog ECHOES.

Makes sense.

I got the Boss DD 20 today and It's even cooler that I thought.

It has a tape simulation (decays and loses fidelity upon repeats) that sounds pretty realistic to me. There's also a setting that makes it sound warbly.

I can approximate quite closely the Memory Man with my Small Clone pedal, but the delay (echo) can go up to 23 full seconds.

The backwards setting is quite trippy and realistic sounding.

The sound on sound feature is quite simple: just tap the pad when you start your part and tap again to end it. It instantly loops it forever while you can play right over it. You can also layer it infinitely! I have some songs that I'm gonna try and pull this live on. This feature will be great for drones, too.

All in all, I don't regret getting rid of the Memory Man now, this Boss pedal has exceeded my expectations.

Check it out here:
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/DD-20/index.html

Old 04.17.2006, 10:23 PM   #20
sonikold
children of satan

friends+weed+microphone+boss dd20= endless fun

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth