Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the pogues and flogging molly
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.20.2006, 11:51 PM   #1
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
so i had an enormous argument with a friend of mine whether flogging molly was a pogues rip off (i still really like them) or whether they were incredibly original. not that these are particularly sonic youthy bands but could i please see some further support for my side
Old 04.21.2006, 12:06 AM   #2
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
the pogues started in the late 70's and flogging molly started in the 90's.

the pogues at their prime really get into the essence of irish folk music (or their interpretation of it) for the most part, using the typical instrumentation to accentuate that essence. and flogging molly, while having a couple of good songs, always seem to me like they are always playing the same song.

and that song is also played a whole lot by the dropkick murphys and the swinging utters
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 12:09 AM   #3
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
but the pogues still had more of a punk edge than traditional irish folk music. this is what really influenced bands like flogging molly, hence the reason i don't find them to be startingly original
Old 04.21.2006, 12:14 AM   #4
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietzer123
but the pogues still had more of a punk edge than traditional irish folk music. this is what really influenced bands like flogging molly, hence the reason i don't find them to be startingly original

it totally got over my head!!! i forgot to mention the punk edge, you are right. if it was just irish folk stuff, then they wouldn't be special.

the fact is, the pogues pioneered that sound and bands like flogging molly took that sound and ran with it. maybe they can write some good songs or maybe not, but they can't be said to be original
Old 04.21.2006, 12:18 AM   #5
dietzer123
stalker

ah why thank you. that gives me some closure on a wildly frusturating argument. you just earned yourself some rep points
Old 04.21.2006, 04:42 AM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I remember The Pogues being referred to as 'cowpunk', if that's any help. Their first two LP's ('Red Roses For Me' and 'Rum, Sodomy and the Lash') are excellent, but I felt that the early edge was lost after that. I've never heard Flogging Molly.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 11:07 AM   #7
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I remember The Pogues being referred to as 'cowpunk', if that's any help. Their first two LP's ('Red Roses For Me' and 'Rum, Sodomy and the Lash') are excellent, but I felt that the early edge was lost after that. I've never heard Flogging Molly.

cowpunk was a term used for bands who played country music with a basis in punk. bands associated with this genre were the mekons, tex and the horseheads, the plugz, the hickoids and the screaming sirens, of which i've heard none of those bands.

thanks for the rep points!!!!!
Old 04.21.2006, 09:43 PM   #8
dietzer123
stalker

the swinging utters played this
Old 04.21.2006, 11:30 PM   #9
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I don't like either. That is all.
Old 04.22.2006, 10:36 AM   #10
Confusion is Dante
little trouble girl

Confusion is Dante has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
.......and flogging molly, while having a couple of good songs, always seem to me like they are always playing the same song.

and that song is also played a whole lot by the dropkick murphys and the swinging utters
You haven't really heard much from Dropkick Murphys or $wingin' utter$....Have you....Flogging Molly uses traditional irish instruments in all their songs.......Dropkick uses bagpipes once in a while, but are primarily a punk band.......Swingin' Utters are a very cool punk rock band with a touch of celtic influence.
I do believe The Pogues were an influence to Flogging Molly.....but Flogging Molly uses distorted guitars and has more of a punk flavor. They are not ripping off The Pogues.
Flogging Molly put on one of the best live performances I have ever seen.

My bough never breaks, I don't stumble into anything
Confusion is Dante is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth