Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Survey on Immigration
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2006, 01:25 PM   #1
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
I'm doing a bit of research on immigration reform and have some survey questions that I need to ask some people. If any of you have the time to answer these questions that would be pretty cool. If not, that's cool too. If you do decide to answer, could you please also post your age and where you live?

Ok, here are the questions:

1. Have you, personally, been affected in any way (positively or negatively) by the presence of Mexican or Latino immigrants?

2. Do you feel threatened in any way by the presence of immigrants?

3. How many undocumented immigrants do you think are currently in the United States?

4. Why do you think people cross the border?

5. There are a number of proposals for immigration reform being debated in Congress. How much of a priority is immigration reform to you?

6. What kind of measures should be taken with those who are apprehended for being in the country illegally?

(felony? jail term? deportation? amnesty?)

7. Do you think immigrants should have the opportunity to establish themselves as legal permanent residents? Under what conditions?

8. Although there is much debate, most people believe that something needs to be done to monitor immigration and maintain control of the border. What do you think should be done? What would be your solution?

9. Do you believe that national identity cards are a good idea and might help solve the problems?

10. What responsibilities, if any, do you think immigrants have to the U.S.?

11. Have you had any experience living in or visiting another culture? Have you had any experience in Mexico?

12. Have any of your family members emigrated from another country in recent generations?

13. What kind of effect do you think immigrants have on the U.S.? Positive? Negative?
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 02:57 PM   #2
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
1. Have you, personally, been affected in any way (positively or negatively) by the presence of Mexican or Latino immigrants?

a. Both. My produce is at a nice price, Mexican girls are so beautiful, I love Mexican food, and find the migrant workers to be really nice & shy and just really sincere people. Negative? Overcrowded schools in Southern California making education a bit of a letdown.

a. Not at all.

3. How many undocumented immigrants to do think are currently in the United States?

a. Millions.

a. Because life in their respective country is not ideal living conditions, opportunity to make things happen in the US, better living condition & social programs.

5. There are a number of proposals for immigration reform being debated in Congress. How much of a priority is immigration reform to you?

a. I honestly don't find it a huge priority. I think there's plenty of wealth to go around. Fact is, we should be happy that people want to come to our country, legally or illegally. I'd rather kick out the legal citizens who do nothing to contribute to society but to bitch and complain about how "fucked up our country is" and "how they hate America". Give someone else your opportunity to live a better life. People in the US forget how great they have it here, which is why the world sees us as "spoiled Americans".

6. What kind of measures should be taken with those who are apprehended for being in the country illegally?

a. First, I would instill a federal/state program for inmates(all) to work manual labor(building houses, cleaning, landscaping, ditch digging, anything) half the money going to paying off debts they may have(civil courts, court costs, etc.), the other half they keep, all at minimum wage. For repeat offenders(illegal Immigrants) of violent crime, deport them. For offenders(illegal Immigrants) of white collar crimes, minor things, send them to jail. For those here illegally, give them social security cards but have it recorded they acquired citizenship illegally. This way, they will finally have federal taxes, contrute more taxwise, just like a legal citizen. Also easier to keep record of them.

7. Do you think immigrants should have the opportunity to establish themselves as legal permanent residents? Under what conditions?

a. Sure, don't they already? They're immigrants.

8. Although there is much debate, most people believe that something needs to be done to monitor immigration and maintain control of the border. What do you think should be done? What would be your solution?

a. More federal money from Washington. CA gets little to no help from the Gov't, yet CA is affected the most because of illegal immigration.

9. Do you believe that national identity cards are a good idea and might help solve the problems?

a. I thought we have those...aren't they called "State ID/Drivers License"???

a. Illegal? Or Immigrants in general? Illegal immigrants should have the same responsibilities as a normal citizen. Don't break the law(well the other laws), enjoy the country, take advantage of the opportunities, contribute back to society, etc.

11. Have you had any experience living in or visiting another culture? Have you had any experience in Mexico?

a. Yes. I used to go to Ensenada and TJ alot to drink and go to sleazy strip clubs. TJ is alot of fun!

12. Have any of your family members emigrated from another country in recent generations?

a. Parents from Japan.

13. What kind of effect do you think immigrants have on the U.S.? Positive? Negative?

a. Illegal? Good and bad. I think they've taught us alot about their culture, but some bad apples also make jails even more overcrowded and give a bad name. Enough cannot be said about produce in the market and it's not just the US who have taken advantage of labor. South America is much worse when it comes to labor in produce.

People are quick to judge America because we outsource. People also forget that although the labor is cheaper than in the US, it is still pretty good pay for a factory worker in their respective countries. Paying factory workers much more could cause "teachers", policemen, firefighters, doctors and others in important professions to quit their jobs to become "factory workers". Then the US gets blamed for causing a country to go "dumb".

Our country is not perfect and our gov't is not either, but I personally am fucking glad to be living in the US. I personally don't think there's another country that can offer the education that I want, the resources to make things happen that I want, the entrepreneural spirit that I want, the ability to turn my life around. I've lived in Japan and love it(I'm Japanese), but the US, for all the bad it may have, is a hell of a country that heavily outweighs the bad.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 08:13 PM   #3
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
bump
Old 04.17.2006, 12:17 AM   #4
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses

Edit (I originally said no, but then I remembered I have met some local Mexicans, I guess I don't really think of people based on race) Positive, a nice Mexican family operates (I don't know if they own) a Mexican restaurant near me called El Toro, there is also another nice Mexican restaurant named Rey Azteca. Every Mexican I have met has been very friendly, and the women are very pretty. I feel very comfortable at their restaurants. If I ever had a bad experience with a Mexican, I don't think it would phase me much, because I'm smart enough to know not to stereotype people based on my personal experiences.

2. Do you feel threatened in any way by the presence of immigrants? No

3. How many undocumented immigrants do you think are currently in the United States? I don't really care

4. Why do you think people cross the border? Because they are not satisfied with their life and want to change it.

5. There are a number of proposals for immigration reform being debated in Congress. How much of a priority is immigration reform to you? I'd greet the day at which we open our borders.

6. What kind of measures should be taken with those who are apprehended for being in the country illegally? Amnesty. American is a country based on immigration, we are all immigrants. Immigration has caused this country to boom. Let them all in.

7. Do you think immigrants should have the opportunity to establish themselves as legal permanent residents? Under what conditions? yes, under any conditions

Take the census more frequently, just to observe. I don't think control needs to be maintained over immigrants. Anti-immigration is a waste of federal money. The only thing the US needs to watch the borders for are drugs.

I think that is fucking fascist. The jews had to have cards that said they were jewish before they started wearing Star of Davids.

I don't think they have any responsibilities to the US. I don't think US citizens have any responsibilites to the US. You have a social responsibility to the people of the world, but not to a government.

I've done some site seeing on the Yucatan and Cozumel. I wouldn't want to live there.

Most recent would be during the mass immigration in the 1880's.

Positive. They are part of the backbone of America. During the industrial revolution, and now during the technical revolution.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 09:37 AM   #5
nature scene
100%

anyone else?
Old 04.17.2006, 05:32 PM   #6
nature scene
100%

bump again
Old 04.17.2006, 05:46 PM   #7
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
1. nope
2. not really, but I can see why others do
3. hundreds of thousands
4. they can make money easily
5. I think it's pretty important. Our nation's safety comes first and with an open border anybody could come in illegally including people who hate the U.S.
6. deportation for sure
7. Yes. If they want to enter our country legally and they want to be American citizens. Illegal immigrants don't belong here. "This is a country based on immigration." Well, we came through Ellis Island legally.
8. There needs to be protection at the border and employers shouldn't be allowed to hire a non-citizen
9. Shouldn't a driver's license solve that?
10. Legal immigrants should have the same responsibilities as citizens. Illegals shouldn't be here.
11. No experiences
12. Nope.
13. Positive - they take the jobs that most people wouldn't want.
Negative - more crime, more confusion (not many people know both Spanish and English)

I'm 16. Take my thoughts however you wish.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 05:48 PM   #8
nature scene
100%

In regards to the question about national ID cards, note that a driver's license is optional, while this would be mandatory.
Old 04.17.2006, 06:00 PM   #9
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Oh okay. I don't think there's a need for national identity cards. I think it comes down to that illegal immigrants are here because they can make money easily. I don't see how they are getting jobs if they aren't citizens. Shouldn't the employers make sure that they know who they are hiring? As one legal immigrant and now citizen said, "If you make it difficult for them, then they will leave by themselves." Right now, most illegals don't like the U.S., but since it's easy to make money, they come here.

Some immigrants come here legally and are hired to do jobs that most people don't like for little money. After they're through, they go back to their own country with the money they've made. I see nothing wrong with that. I also don't see anything wrong with immigrants becoming citizens, but they would have to be loyal to the U.S. To prove that, I'm not sure how.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 10:09 AM   #10
nature scene
100%

surely someone else has something to say?
Old 04.18.2006, 10:30 AM   #11
SecretGirl13
little trouble girl

SecretGirl13 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends

Yes, the love of my life who I have been in a relationship with over a year is the child of legal Cuban immigrants.

no

3. How many undocumented immigrants do you think are currently in the United States?

thousands

even being paid under minimum wage illegally in the US brings in a larger salary than staying in mexico. also many central americans are seeking political asylum (especially from castro)

high priority in the sense that there need to be changes.

depends on the circumstances, if an illegal immigrant is caught committing an additional crime then i think the gov. has the right to prosecute them. but i think they should at least get a chance to make a case before being deported

yes, especially since there are a lot of assholes not willing to do certain kinds of labor in the US. and were it not for political asylum i wouldn't have been given the chance to be born, so i think the US shouldn't build a wall. Also, if the US had the policies they want today 60 years ago then they wouldn't have had thinkers like albert einstein. they tend to shut the wrong people out of the country.

not building a fucking wall. tancredo is a fool. the US could create a lot of jobs by making the application more complicated but also more viable

oh god no. makes me shudder to think about it.

to abide by the law, especially when it comes to taxes and home/car/workplace safety. also not to perpetuate the idea that they will accept far lower pay because it drives down the wages for everyone down here at the bottom making minimum wage.

i'm living in another country right now. but not mexico.

yes. we'd all be dead otherwise. some are leaving france right now because they're sick of having swastikas painted all over ther neighborhood and having their synagogue burned down over and over.

i think that there are lot of immigrants that have academic and scientific innovations to offer if the US is smart enough to at least grant them a visa. In terms of physical laborers from Mexico, I think the US relies on them too heavily to say the effect is totally negative.
Old 04.18.2006, 10:45 AM   #12
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
1.I am half mexican and I live in San Antonio where there are more mexicans than white, black, or asian people, so positivley.
2.nope
3.a lot.
4.Better opprotunities.
5.not very important, in fact I don't really understand why immigration just now became so imporant, I hardly think it has anything to do with protecting us from scary terroists.
6.amnesty, if you made it here then they should have the right to stay.
7.Yes I think immigrants should have the opportunity to establish themselves as legal permanent residents.
8. If they get caught crossing the border send them back, and let them try the next day.
9.like khchris said aren't those called driver liscense?
10.the same responsibillities regualr citizens have
11.Never been to Mexico, but I live in San Antonio, which is rich in Mexican culture.
12.My great-great-great grandparents immigrated from mexico.
13.Very positive! people fail to realize that immirants do jobs that other people won't do, the fruit you eat, the house you live in, the road you drive on were all probably built by immigrants. They litteraly built this country!

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 08:04 PM   #13
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Proud Marie ain't too shabby
1. Positive: We had some immigrant workers work on our house for several months, they did a very good job and were very compliant. He had alot of opportunities to steal stuff from us but he didn't even though he is very desperate for money (if i were him i probably would have sadly), so he is easily a boon to our society. One time he ate my lunch though because he thought it was for him.
Negative: There were a bunch of immigrant kids at my old school. They really idolized gangs and threatened to beat up alot of white kids including myself, and even jumped one of my friends.

2. Not really. There is alot of stereotyping going on that tells me i should, but i know better. Except for the gangs at my old school, no.

3. Millions, which i know for a fact.
4. Because their country is a shithole and they have to come here to support their families. Alot of people dont understand this.

5. Immigration reform is not important to me. However, i know we cannot allow every one who wants to immigrate into our country, it will only make our country poor too. But in time perhaps, we can accept enough to make the situation better.

6. Deportation is the way to go for now. Jail time is extremely expensive and unless you feel like paying alot more taxes I wouldnt recomend it.

7. Immigrants should be allowed to take up permanant residence as long as the have a relitivly clean record, and they would have to take on the responsiblities of any other citizen. These are after all, the principles our country was based on.

8. I dont know, maybe more manpower, however im not sure this can do much to stop the collective will of all the immigrants.

I think that is fucking fascist. The jews had to have cards that said they were jewish before they started wearing Star of Davids.

The situation here is totaly different. Im fairly confident Schwarzenegger isnt going to start rounding up immigrants into camps and mass executing them.
I think national identity cards arnt going to solve much, it doesnt give back jobs to the people there before and solve the social problems they unintentionaly create.

10. Taxes, and laws apply to them all the same
11. I have visited Europe, but never Mexico
12. My dad came here from the Netherlands when he was 9.
13. Immigration is a mixed bag, there is cheap labor availability, but they also commit crimes and occupy jobs that displace other workers.
Proud Marie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 08:59 PM   #14
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses

in southeast virginia? don't think so.

not at all.

hell, i forget the figure.

jobs. definitely jobs.

not much of one.

depends on whether they're doing something illegal. if they are they're not citizens so they presumably can't be prosecuted under american law (though i'm not familiar with such matters, so correct me if i'm wrong), so deportation may be the only answer there. if they're law-abiding leave tham alone.

yes, definitely -- predicated on good behavior while in the us.

just get a better police force in border states. to close the border or "secure" it as the euphemism goes would be a terrible idea; this is, after all, a nation of immigrants, and the country that supposedly abides by the philosophy "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. . . ."

NO NO NO. the whole thing would just be a disaster. national id numbers would just be stolen for identity theft, the gov't. could use them for all kinds of invasions of privacy, psycho fundamentalist christians would refuse to carry them on the grounds that to do so would be to take "the mark of the beast," etc.

abide by its laws, learn english, and make sure they don't add to the liabilities of the already burgeoning welfare system (which, by the way, should go, but that's another story).

hahaha . . . does little italy in nyc count? (no, never been to mexico, or any foreign country for that matter.)

my mother's mother's father's parents emigrated from russia . . . that might be too far back.

generally positive -- look at andrew carnegie.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth