Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Chinese Democracy.....NOW STREAMING!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.21.2008, 12:42 AM   #1
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Finally! The long awaited (snirk, snirk) album by the Grammy Award winning (snirk, snirk, snirk) rock band Guns N (snirk) Roses is now available to listen to on myspace!

and it SSUUUUUUUUUUUCKS!

the singing on Street of Dreams is quite possibly the funniest thing I have heard all year.
http://ca.myspace.com/gunsnroses

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Holy shit...that sounds like an infinitely shittier version of November Rain...wow. I'm going to have to go cleanse my ears.
Old 11.21.2008, 12:58 AM   #3
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Actually giving it a chance.

3 songs in, it seems like a mess. Industrial, trip hop, and standard Guns 'n' Roses rock colliding.
Old 11.21.2008, 01:02 AM   #4
sarramkrop

This will cure my insomnia.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 01:15 AM   #5
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
6 songs in...

It sounds like Axl Rose is trying to consolidate all music, ever.
Old 11.21.2008, 01:23 AM   #6
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I listened to some of most of the songs. Some of it is awful, some of it isn't as awful.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 01:34 AM   #7
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i'm listening to the first song and it's godawful.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 01:41 AM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
what's the final tracklisting?

i thought axl was going with the "doesn't sound that far away from the original" songs.

so chinese democracy is worse than i thought?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 01:43 AM   #9
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

i thought axl was going with the "doesn't sound that far away from the original" songs.

He should have gone as far away from notes as possible.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 02:24 AM   #11
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
This will cure my insomnia.

By killing you? Don't do it Porky!

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 02:40 AM   #12
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
By killing you? Don't do it Porky!

I've listened to it for lack of better things to do this early in the morning, and now I fear a future attack of sleep epilepsy.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 03:12 AM   #13
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

OK, it's over now.

Hmm...my objective review.

Good Stuff: Some alright guitar work, occassional weird bits of sound add depth, interesting array of styles

Bad Shit: Some very poorly excuted ideas, some absolutely horrible vocals/lyrics, plus the ending of the last song sounds too much like Bauhaus' "Bela Lugosi's Dead" to me

OK, I can't hold back anymore............................

I'm sorry to the myriads of G'n'R fans out there (especially the douche on their MySpace whom actually went as far as to call it "The Dark Side of the Moon for our generation"), but this was NOT worth waiting 15 years for in the slightest. Maybe if it had been released around the time the power ( ) the band once had (i.e. Appetite for Destruction) was still fresh, it might work more, but as it stands today...dear Lord. This record could very well make Axl Rose a complete laughingstock (even more than he is already) in the music world. I'll go so far to admit that some of the tracks had interesting bits, especially in the intros-but once the songs got started, they quickly went downhill (I actually liked "Madagascar" until all the dumbass samples kicked in).

Chinese Democracy is a great example of the phrase "TOO MUCH". As I said earlier, it sounds like Axl rose is trying to consolidate all music, ever. There is literally EVERYTHING musical on this record-dirty riffs, studio trickery, choirs, orchestras, guitar soloing of both the "speed" and "feel" variety, discordance, ambient soundscapes, sequencers, drum machines, multilayered vocals from Axl and what sounded like other people...hell, one track even starts out like trance, and there's some pseudo-rapping to boot. That may sound good in theory, but the end result sounds like he cut 'n' pasted a bunch of other bands' music (the intro to the one song sounds to me like the intro to Ministry's "The Dick Song", while "Madagascar" could be the worst song the Cure never wrote) overtop of what might've been OK Guns 'n' Roses songs. It is the sound of Axl Rose screaming at his detracters (sp?) in the music world, "Fuck you! I can do exactly what you're doing too, and better!", and falling flat on his face in the attempt.

I posted that I would give the album a chance, meaning that I would listen to a few tracks with an open mind, and if I didn't like what I'd heard, I'd just close the window and get on with my life. But in the end, I ended listening to the whole thing, because:

1. It's the musical equivalent of a car crash-you cannot look away, no matter how much you may want to

2. It's unintentionally hilarious and if nothing else, interesting to see how many styles/sounds Axl could've pulled out of his ass

3. I don't like giving up on things that I know will end, no matter how painful they might be

Sigh...oh, man.

I'll conclude by saying that I never had any problems with Axl Rose's voice before, but I do now...I don't know if it 100% because of this album or just the fact that I never considered myself enough of a G 'n' R fan to warrant getting any of their albums. So maybe his voice didn't bother me because I never had to listen to it for more than one song at a time?
Old 11.21.2008, 03:22 AM   #14
sarramkrop

Did you really need to write a whole book to say that it's a bunch of irrelevant shit?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 03:24 AM   #15
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

I was venting.

And giving a preview of how I think most of the reviews will read.

EDIT: Hmm...500 posts. Goodnight!
Old 11.21.2008, 03:31 AM   #16
sarramkrop

Good morning.

It's a shit record by an irrelevant band which will probably sell by the bucketloads anyway, and if it doesn't, another shit record will sell a lot instead of this. What is there to vent about?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 05:51 AM   #17
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I couldn't make it halfway past the first track.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 06:18 AM   #18
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
If you actually listen to Guns N Roses old stuff it is quite apparent that they were shit in their heyday, so it should come as no surprise that their new record is shit too.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 06:26 AM   #19
al shabbray

I would love to post the link of file2hd.com on his mspace site every 5 minutes just that everyne can rip the whole album of GnR and it will be a financial flop too. I think axl needs the money
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 07:12 AM   #20
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
hahaha

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth