Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page worst gigs you went to this year
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.26.2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Ganglians
I walked out on Thurston Moore, and it felt bad.
Let me think of some more.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 05:38 PM   #2
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Durban was the most absolutely bland dubstep show I've seen in years. Cool visuals and a guy painting on stage, but the music went absolutely nowhere.

Also, some terrible nu-metal band opened for my buddy's hardcore show. They were called 'a teeth' or something stupid as fuck like that. Not that his band was worthwhile but they were certainly better than high-school limp bizkit fans with no talent.

twodeadsluts onegoodfuck also disappointed me. Awesome name, terrible show.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Atari Teenage Riot. Because I didn't get to go.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 06:23 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hahah why was the Thurston show bad, Genteel?

Hayden, I've been friends with 2DS for about 10 years, haha. Doesn't surprise me the show was bad though, haha.

This was a little over a year ago now, but I saw Deer Hunter and it was the worst show I've ever seen in my life, definitely. Really really boring. Saw some band this year called Aa or something -- just drums and piano, it was horrible, but a bunch of hipster girls seemed to dig it. Saw some band called "The Bird", it sounded like if Charalambides were really really REALLY bad; some girl moaning for 30 minutes and a guy hit a detuned bass with a chain about once every 30 seconds. Then, during one song, he played trumpet through a delay pedal while the moaning continued. There was no break in the moaning. Just "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" into a mic. Just horrid.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 06:30 PM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hahaha, that's two votes for Deerhunter!

Marcos, was the dude a big asshole at your venue too? He said a bunch of stupid stage banner, making fun of the venue and the sound people -- he didn't sound like he was joking, it was really mean spirited. Put a bad taste in my mouth. At the venue, there is a big board that says "TEN RULES" and it said, like, "No drugs" and "No moshing" and he spent about 5-10 minutes reading all the rules and cracking "one-liners" about the rules. Like, on "no smoking", he said, "BUT I WANT LUNGER CANCER!!!!!!!!" It was horrible... he was trying to be funny, I guess? After every show, he would comment on "the rules" and our town and shit. After the show, I heard one of the venue people talking about how the guy was a huge asshole. Anyway, they played, and every song sounded exactly the same.. this really really ugly abrasive rhythm, one bass note plonking constantly in a very staccato style, while the guitars did some boring delay pedal thing. Every song had these quiet delay pedal parts that exploded in a loud noise thing.. it sounded really awkward and dull... the bass and drum constantly locking in on this really annoying pounding one note thing. It was just mindnumbing, really. I really can't think of a worse band I've seen live in my life.

Old 11.26.2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
When he played here, 10 kids were screaming like it was the fucking Beatles at Shea Stadium and he didn't acknowledge them at all, the place wasn't that crowded or big so it wasn't like a huge mob was going to kill him if he said hello. But he just acted dumb.

About the music, exactly, they did exactly THAT. Awful racket masked as "krautrock", and then they did like feedback for ten minutes. I walked out, especially after The Big Pink played and were so bland and...ugh. I was surprised to learn afterwards that the drummer is the same girl that's the singer in Pre.

The worst part is, Hallogallo came later in the year, and some people were like "What a shitty show!! Deerhunter played the best krautrock concert of the year." Just nonsense and bullshit.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 06:49 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha oh yeah I forgot deerhunter are "krautrock" haha. What a joke.

YEAH, I'd heard the Big Pink because of the Pre connection. I don't really like Pre very much, I mean that girl is cool, I read her blog, but they just sound like another one of those AIDS Wolf type bands that annoy me... there are SO MANY (still active) awesome bands who do that sound, like Singer, D. Rider, Grand Ulena, Malade de Souci, MIRACLE CONDITION.. when I hear a band like Bride of No No and Scissor Girls, who really took that kind of deconstructed rock to the next level, pre sounds unbelievably simple and bland in comparison. it's just not that difficult to play three or four high pitched notes on a guitar, one note on a distorted bass, and play really fast for a minute while a girl yelps. I mean, what happened to sick lipstick, with their weird ass guitar tones and sickening synth? how about erase errata, with their creative instrumental interplay that sounded like the second coming of dog faced hermans? pre just sounds lazy... I also got the new AIDS WOLF album too and i didn't like it at all either. hmph.

Of all the new bans doing that kinda stuff, i reccomend YOLZ IN THE SKY... http://www.mediafire.com/?jk1zenmdk19 ... imagine a melt banana but way more insane, imagine if melt banana's OTHER members were just as insane as the guitarist.. the drummer in this band is unbelievable.. UN fucking BELIEVABLE... and they have some weird off time organ thing going on on some songs. amazing band.

glad to see some deer hunter hatred, there are 3 or 4 people on this board that worship them, but they're honestly one of the most boring bands I've ever heard, live or on record.

Old 11.26.2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
I think Pre are just fun, nothing great or anything.

Deerhunter is for dorks who never knew Stereolab existed.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 06:53 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

speaking of which, did you hear the new stereolab album? It is excellent, their best in years, except they got the deer hunter dork to remix a song. Luckily it's the last song on the album so it's easy to skip or turn it off before it gets to that point, but god.. it's bad enough he's released so much garbage (apparently atlas sound is coming out with a 5-cd album soon.. I think it was random crap from the dude's harddrive..), now he has to almost ruin a great album by a great band...

Old 11.26.2010, 06:54 PM   #11
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Deerhunter are shit... 1 or 2 good songs on each record. I can actually admit to liking stuff like Grizzly Bear and other "indie" fodder but Deerhunter reach new heights of boredom.
Old 11.26.2010, 06:58 PM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

The words "Overproduced glossy contrived boring ridiculous" come to mind whenever I listen to their output.

Have you heard that band GIRLS, Derek? I think they're the next Deerhrhuthe. They're another really really boring rock band that people on blogs seem to like.

Old 11.26.2010, 07:02 PM   #13
Derek
invito al cielo

I've heard the song that sounds exactly like 'Mote'. I swear they wouldn't have become blogged about so much if the singer didn't have such an interesting backstory (he grew up in the Children of God cult, his mother was forced to prostitution due to this etc).
Old 11.26.2010, 07:05 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I'd never even heard of that...

I heard their first album. it was HORRIBLE.

Old 11.26.2010, 07:07 PM   #15
Derek
invito al cielo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...nterview-girls

The guy also sounds like an asshole.

-
White spins round, and with a straight face asks: "Do you have any morphine?" There is a moment of uncomfortable silence before he continues: "Relax. I'm just joking."
-

Yeah, hilarious.
Old 11.26.2010, 07:09 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Hahaha. I'm laughing!

I also want some morphine.

But I'd never ask the interviewer that. Everyone knows they only care oxycodone on them and nothing else. Bastards.

Old 11.26.2010, 07:14 PM   #18
kinn
the destroyed room

kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses
went al grigs

won all.

end of muzshit.

no moar. al finissed.
kinn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 08:51 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I don't fuck around like that. I only go to certified good shit gigs, and when there are uncertified opening acts I may only give em half a chance before I go out to the parking lot to mingle and burn spliffs until the good shit comes on. Though from time to time I am pleasantly surprised, like last year when the sister Etana opened up for Abyssinians, and she is ridiculously good, and also Grass Widow for Wild Flag last week.

actually I might be selling woof tickets here, I do recall seeing a mediocre local reggaeish band playing at a bar my friend invited me to on his birthday, and then in the LA/LBC reggae scene, terrible sublime wanna be bands always get to open for legendary reggae artists, so inevitably I have been forced to see a few of them, like this talented but boring sublimabee band I saw at a free festival that Don Carlos and Elijah Fari (from Black Uhuru)

so I guess I have seen at least two bad gigs this year, and more than likely several other opening bands that I either skipped out on or were not even good or bad enough to remember..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2010, 12:31 AM   #20
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
religious knives.

they fucking suck live
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth