Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I'm thining or moving to Austin Jan1.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.31.2010, 06:30 PM   #1
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Thinking of Moving to Austin

Any Austinites on this Board? Any city specific knowledge I need to know about?

Where to live, the lowdown etc. etc.

RanaldoNecro
Old 10.31.2010, 06:32 PM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
ask again in January. we just moved into our apartment last night!

protip: find a place in advance. it's not easy. look for something on the southside. it's a lot cooler than the stripmall hells that exist other directions.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2010, 07:50 PM   #3
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Gracia Senior...

Keep me posted
Old 10.31.2010, 08:19 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
my cousin is moving there in a week! and three of my best friends for the past decade live there. they all have had an absolute blast, everything is fun as hell i guess, there's always something to do apparently. And I know that at least 2 of my friends didn't have a job for 6 months they lived down there and got by just fine, so it's okay to be a hippy down there!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2010, 03:55 PM   #5
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
If you're planning on moving there, I'd say go and check it out to see if you like it. Not sure what you're into exactly, but it's a great place for live music and what not. It's also a good college town and both UT and St. Edwards are excellent schools. Austin Community College isn't so bad either. The music scene is a bit dense, and there are plenty of little sub genres floating around everywhere. It will take you some time to find your niche, but don't get discouraged. It's kind of strange in the sense that there is SOOO much music going on, I always felt like people were more exclusive than not. At the same time, you can PRETTY much find anything you're interested in. Your scene search begins here: showlistaustin.com.

I'm not sure where you are coming from, but rent is fairly high by Texas standards. If you plan on living by yourself, expect to pay between $500-$600 a month for a one bedroom apartment. Obviously, roommates will make rent cheaper. Houses or duplexes will usually run between $1000-$1600 depending on the area. I lucked out a couple of years ago and found a duplex on the Northeast side for $800, but it was kind of a shithole and way out of the way. As far as neighborhoods are concerned, the "hippest" part is probably the east side. Most of the south-side is fairly expensive, unless it's the apartment-dense southeast, which is probably the cheapest. I have a friend who pays around $800-$900 for a three bedroom apartment on the south-east side, which is the cheapest rent I'd ever heard of in Austin (except for the Comal House, which has been a punk house for ages). Again, the southeast is a little out of the way, but there are also plenty of shitty bro-parties happening, which may or may not be of interest to you.

I'm not sure if you're into biking, but Austin is pretty bike friendly. If you live outside of the city, it tends to be a little more difficult, so if you can reasonably see yourself getting around on a bicycle, then I'd suggest paying a little more to be closer to the center. There is a fantastic bike culture there. Critical mass is a great time; it happens the last friday of every month, and it meets at the fountain at UT off Guadalupe. That's probably the best way to get into the bike culture. There are also plenty of group rides that happen all the time. I think there is a regular group does a midnight ride on Tuesdays. Those are always way fun. The public transportation system is basically a bus system, with a new light-rail line that is currently in the works. Traffic is FUCKING awful, so I highly recommend getting into biking; it will save you a lot of frustration.

It gets hot as shit in the summer time, and the winters are fairly mild.

The greenbelt is fucking fantastic, and you have to go swimming at Barton Springs even though its a little dirty. Red Bed is also notably badass off of 15th and Lamar-ish. As far as record stores are concerned, I'd recommend End of an Ear for psych, prog, experimental etc; Trailer Space for punk; and Cheap-O for digging; Waterloo for your general vinyl and CD needs; and, Backspin for the occasional epic find (I found a Man is the Bastard Picture disc there for $20... epic). If you go to a corporate record store there, you should be smacked. Not sure what else I can say. I had a great time in Austin, but I have to admit my first year there was pretty miserable. It's a city of stoners, which basically means it's a city of small tight-knit niches. Once you find your niche, you'll never want to leave. Hope this helps.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2010, 04:56 PM   #6
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

Thats great info thanks. I am just looking for a place that embraces Liberalisim, music and education. And is also hot.

Throw in some good food. That is what i am into right now...

I would like to hear what anyone else has to say bout Austin.
Old 11.03.2010, 11:24 AM   #7
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I could live off of Torchy's Tacos.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth