Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.03.2019, 11:53 PM   #23261
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

no. don't. stop.
Old 01.04.2019, 08:15 AM   #23262
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Bird Box.

It pretty much steals its premise from Lovecraft’s Cthulhu mythos, but avoids an overt ripoff by leaving the monsters unseen.

I know H.P. wanted his work and ideas to be shared and expanded upon, but something about the lifting of these basic story elements rubs me the wrong way.

Still, it was better than I thought it would be.

Sandra Bullock is like the seventh most attractive woman in her own movie. That sounds really shitty, I know, but it’s really hard to see her interact with non-plastic women without comparing, and the comparisons aren’t great for Sandy.

Some kinda crap writing, too. Rushed, very “small-screen” in general feel and pacing. But definitely not bad. Just not great.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2019, 08:19 AM   #23263
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Bird Box.

It pretty much steals its premise from Lovecraft’s Cthulhu mythos, but avoids an overt ripoff by leaving the monsters unseen.

I know H.P. wanted his work and ideas to be shared and expanded upon, but something about the lifting of these basic story elements rubs me the wrong way.

Still, it was better than I thought it would be.

Sandra Bullock is like the seventh most attractive woman in her own movie. That sounds really shitty, I know, but whatever having a plastic face makes it really hard to see her interact with non-plastic women without comparing, and the comparisons aren’t great for Sandy.

Some kinda crap writing too. Rushed, very small-screen in feel and pacing. But definitely not bad. Just not great.
so “i didn’t like it, pathetic, terrible, but not bad” you’re saying?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2019, 11:35 AM   #23264
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
watched A Most Violent Year. Good and tense.

Old 01.04.2019, 01:12 PM   #23265
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
I agree for the most part on Bird Box. It wasn't the best thing ever, but not the worst. Was kind of odd seeing Machine Gun Kelly "acting."

I thought Bandersnatch was great, and have "played" through it 3 times now. But I also understand my biased view as a total Black Mirror fanboi...

I wanted to check out Holmes and Watson over the Christmas break, but wow is that movie getting shit on from every direction. Sounds like one of the worst things ever made. Anyone here seen it and have views on it yet?
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2019, 06:58 PM   #23266
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so “i didn’t like it, pathetic, terrible, but not bad” you’re saying?

No, it’s not bad or anything. It just could have been better.

And Sandra Bullock is hard to look at.

I know, I hate me, but she is.
Old 01.05.2019, 03:50 AM   #23267
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
The Incredibles 2. A fair bit darker than I expected, but it wasn't bad.

Still probably comes in at the lower half of Pixar films, which tells you something about how good they are.

---

Also saw Bao, the weird short everyone was talking about. It was really sweet.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2019, 04:55 AM   #23268
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
Bird Box. I thought it was great! Chilling, creepy, suspensful. And yes at times I do agree with Severian that it did feel a little small-screen, but in my opinion that was easily overlooked and covered a lot by the whole premise rather cleverly.

The fact that it looks as good as it did, with actors like Sandra Bullock and John Malkovich (who is not always a favourite of mine).
Old 01.08.2019, 04:13 AM   #23269
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Bird Box as well. I liked the premise, I just found the execution to be lacking. Bullock was fine in the lead. Didn't care much about the Malkovich character. At times it did build up some suspense, but things got bogged down by some poor stylistic decisions (like having a flashback to something that happened a few minutes ago, showing things that would have been more effective if left ambiguous etc.) and character development that wasn't completely unrelatable, but got pushed to comical extremes. There were also a few scenes that were supposed to be suspenseful, but made me chuckle instead. That's down to the stylistic decisions though. And yeah, gotta agree that it's very small screeny. Especially after having watched the series The Haunting Of Hill House shortly after, which has amazing sets, moody lighting and overall a great production value. Compared to that, Bird Box seems like a made-for-TV movie.

Antagon is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2019, 08:12 AM   #23270
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
Bird Box as well. I liked the premise, I just found the execution to be lacking. Bullock was fine in the lead. Didn't care much about the Malkovich character. At times it did build up some suspense, but things got bogged down by some poor stylistic decisions (like having a flashback to something that happened a few minutes ago, showing things that would have been more effective if left ambiguous etc.) and character development that wasn't completely unrelatable, but got pushed to comical extremes. There were also a few scenes that were supposed to be suspenseful, but made me chuckle instead. That's down to the stylistic decisions though. And yeah, gotta agree that it's very small screeny. Especially after having watched the series The Haunting Of Hill House shortly after, which has amazing sets, moody lighting and overall a great production value. Compared to that, Bird Box seems like a made-for-TV movie.

But the Haunting of Hill House had acting and writing that was so fucking terrible it threatened to ruin the entire thing.

I didn’t make the commitment to keep watching until we saw the creepy super tall guy walk-floating around using his cane like a Venetian pole. That was a legitimately fucking scary visual, and it made me say, “OK, this utterly atrocious acting and paint-by-numbers dialogue is worth suffering through for a creep-out like this... Hope there’s more!”

There kinda wasn’t really any more.

Very, very bad show. Just very stupid. But yes, pretty or whatever.

Can we talk about how Timothy Hutton is playing an “old” version of a guy who’s *maybe* five years younger? Y’knkw, to cover that 18-year difference or whatever? Instead of just using makeup, they cast two people who look almost nothing alike and are for all intents and purposes the same age to play the same person at entirely different periods in his life?

Dumb.
Old 01.08.2019, 09:26 AM   #23271
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
But the Haunting of Hill House had acting and writing that was so fucking terrible it threatened to ruin the entire thing.

I didn’t make the commitment to keep watching until we saw the creepy super tall guy walk-floating around using his cane like a Venetian pole. That was a legitimately fucking scary visual, and it made me say, “OK, this utterly atrocious acting and paint-by-numbers dialogue is worth suffering through for a creep-out like this... Hope there’s more!”

There kinda wasn’t really any more.

Very, very bad show. Just very stupid. But yes, pretty or whatever.

Can we talk about how Timothy Hutton is playing an “old” version of a guy who’s *maybe* five years younger? Y’knkw, to cover that 18-year difference or whatever? Instead of just using makeup, they cast two people who look almost nothing alike and are for all intents and purposes the same age to play the same person at entirely different periods in his life?

Dumb.

Whoa, say what you really mean. It's by no means a perfect show, but I did enjoy it a lot. I agree that the writing can be spotty from time to time - didn't like some of the emotional messages it tried to push - specifically referring to a moment in the closing minutes of the final episode here, but there were similar problems throughout the series as well. It did get a bit convoluted towards the end and the dialogue did lean into the sappy every now and then. That said though: I really liked the portrayal of the characters' personal demons. And I'd say most of the performances were at the very least decent. And damnit, was the atmosphere palbable. From the locations to the cinematography and the lighting: Top-notch. Hell, I absolutely loved the direction in episode 6. It was tense, it was claustrophobic, it got me invested in the plight of the characters. Yeah, it was "pretty" - but that's no small thing when we're talking atmospheric Horror. The Shining wouldn't have been as chilling without the eerily oversized and almost inately lonely atmosphere of the Overlook Hotel depicted in Kubrick's interpretation (to which the series pays some obvious hommage), neither would Alien have been what it was without the cold and claustrophobic interiors of the Nostromo. There's a lot to be said for production design, especially in that type of genre. Yeah, that hovering tall-guy apparation was balls-to-the-wall creepy and it was kind of hard to top that. But in my opinion, there were other more minor visual and storytelling-based choices that also added to the uneasy atmosphere.

True, they didn't really look alike. I was more put-off by the very obvious blue contacts of the supposedly younger version of Timothy Hutton's character though. They just weren't very convincing, but then again coloured contacts hardly ever are. I just wished they wouldn't have constantly called attention to them through dramatic closeups. But that was a minor thing. The casting of kid-and-adult versions of the main protagonists however was pretty spot-on though. They looked very alike. And I did look it up: Hutton and the other guy were actually 11 years apart. It's a bit of a stretch, but then again not a biggie.

Old 01.08.2019, 11:59 AM   #23272
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

saw this at home yesterday. I only zoned out a couple of times during boring parts. I found it fun yet severely inconsequential. I also found it funny to hear Han speaking Wookie.

Also saw this.

Quite the boring piece of shit. It felt like they made a Venjom movie about a loser named Eddie Brock who hooked up with Venom, and then at the last minute decided to reshoot the whole thing to have a needless and TOO LONG 25 minute intro piece about how Eddie Brock is a respected investigative journalist? What a piece of shit movie. what a piece of shit accent on Hardy, slipping in and out of Brit.

what a waste of movie. It took 30 minutes to even show the symbiotes. The movie ended at minute 89, with 20 minutes of end credits......
Old 01.08.2019, 01:35 PM   #23273
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Whoa, say what you really mean. It's by no means a perfect show, but I did enjoy it a lot. I agree that the writing can be spotty from time to time - didn't like some of the emotional messages it tried to push - specifically referring to a moment in the closing minutes of the final episode here, but there were similar problems throughout the series as well. It did get a bit convoluted towards the end and the dialogue did lean into the sappy every now and then. That said though: I really liked the portrayal of the characters' personal demons. And I'd say most of the performances were at the very least decent. And damnit, was the atmosphere palbable. From the locations to the cinematography and the lighting: Top-notch. Hell, I absolutely loved the direction in episode 6. It was tense, it was claustrophobic, it got me invested in the plight of the characters. Yeah, it was "pretty" - but that's no small thing when we're talking atmospheric Horror. The Shining wouldn't have been as chilling without the eerily oversized and almost inately lonely atmosphere of the Overlook Hotel depicted in Kubrick's interpretation (to which the series pays some obvious hommage), neither would Alien have been what it was without the cold and claustrophobic interiors of the Nostromo. There's a lot to be said for production design, especially in that type of genre. Yeah, that hovering tall-guy apparation was balls-to-the-wall creepy and it was kind of hard to top that. But in my opinion, there were other more minor visual and storytelling-based choices that also added to the uneasy atmosphere.

True, they didn't really look alike. I was more put-off by the very obvious blue contacts of the supposedly younger version of Timothy Hutton's character though. They just weren't very convincing, but then again coloured contacts hardly ever are. I just wished they wouldn't have constantly called attention to them through dramatic closeups. But that was a minor thing. The casting of kid-and-adult versions of the main protagonists however was pretty spot-on though. They looked very alike. And I did look it up: Hutton and the other guy were actually 11 years apart. It's a bit of a stretch, but then again not a biggie.

The kids and their adult counterparts were expertly cast, yes, in terms of appearance

But it felt like it was written by someone who doesn’t come from a large family with many siblings. Like... me! I’m an only child with step-siblings but nothing else, and this felt like what I would imagine life with a bunch of other kids would be like.

It was no Glass family, I’ll just say that.

And the main guy.. the writer ... god what a terrible fucking actor.

But yeah, atmospherically it was good. Too-notch horror it most definitely was not.

I’ll take American Horror Story’s best seasons over that any day of the week.
Old 01.08.2019, 02:20 PM   #23274
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Last night's double feature.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2019, 02:37 PM   #23275
Antagon
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Last night's double feature.

Quite an eclectic double feature.

Old 01.09.2019, 12:05 PM   #23276
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Quite an eclectic double feature.

gf chose virgins

i chose terminator
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2019, 12:07 PM   #23277
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
hand solo means masturbation, obviously
Old 01.10.2019, 10:35 PM   #23278
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

Downsizing. It was okay. I mean the special effects were really neat, but the whole concept I feel would've been better if it had been a short story.
Old 01.10.2019, 11:00 PM   #23279
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
My version of "The Bird Box Challenge" is simply walking around like normal while having not seen it.
Old 01.10.2019, 11:38 PM   #23280
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
My version of "The Bird Box Challenge" is simply walking around like normal while having not seen it.
i have zero desire to see it

netflix keeps trying to shove it down my throat but i dont give a shit

what’s the big deal?
664106411141154116111621163 1164 116511661167117412141264 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth