Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2017, 07:54 AM   #1101
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't watched too many shows, but a couple I've really enjoyed are: Hellsing Ultimate, Nichijou, NGE, and last but not least the Berserk OVAs. The new Berserk is kind of shitty at times with the animation, but I really loved how they decided to start from where they did...well past the eclipse.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2017, 08:26 AM   #1102
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I mostly watch slice of life stuff. K-On, Lucky Star that kind of thing (yes I love Nichijou too) but I'm also a big fan of magical girl series like Illya/Fate, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor, Madoka, etc. I generally don't like sci-fi or horror anime; which is weird in terms of horror at least because it's probably my favourite genre when it comes to live action films. It just rarely seems to work for me in anime, or animation generally. I love the whole kawaii thing which obviously isn't that compatible with horror.

Have you watched K-On? As a J-Pop fan I can see you liking that. And it's just a great series all-round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIpA_B5khZc
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2017, 09:28 AM   #1103
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Nichijou is probably my favorite anime to be honest. It's fucking hilarious.
This is the image on my phone case.

As far as K-On goes...I've been watching clips and a lot of it looks funny, but I haven't gotten as far as watching an episode. I was a huge fan of the song, 'go go maniac'...which I believe was written for that show. I wish I could find this amazing cover of the song, but it was removed from youtube.

and for the horror/supernatural/sci fi. It's really hit or miss. I feel like anime and manga too, is incredibly saturated with these themes. So either I get a recommendation or I randomly stumble upon stuff to read/watch. Berserk and Oyasumi PunPun are my favorite manga's. Berserk is dark as fuck, really nasty sometimes, but it's really well done. The art and landscapes are incredible, and this guy has drawn literally thousands and thousands of monsters without recycling anything. And Oyasumi PunPun was written by Inio Asano who's an amazing author. His slice of life stories are always so heavy....like 'makes things sad for a day or two' heavy. Nijigahara Holograph and What a Wonder Life(vol1 n 2) are also really good. I highly recommend those as well.
Old 03.25.2017, 12:47 PM   #1104
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Knights of Sidonia is a really good far-future space opera anima. I've never encountered the manga (don't read manga, almost as a rule) but I'm sure it's based on one. Knights season 3 should be on Netflix any time. It's kind of a "mech" thing but with a lot of nice added complexity and post-sexual, post-race stuff. I do quite like it, and hope it continues.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2017, 04:08 PM   #1105
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
knights of prosperity was a great show that unfortunately lost track if itself and got cancelled. but man! it was so hilarious when it was good.

anyway, got the lightning-hdmi-charger device and now time to test it.

turns out my wife's phone has like 20 times more storage than my old ipad. so. i packed her phone with shows ha ha ha

workaholics 5! still the best
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2017, 07:17 PM   #1106
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Now I'm watching Marvel's Iron Fist on Netflix. Just plowing right through it, because it's my first day off in two weeks and I get to be a lazy.

It's not good. Some of it is almost unbelievably bad. Seems to be mining cheesy early '90s big city martial arts B movies like "Lionheart" for inspiration, with a little mysticism thrown in. Ick.

Whatever I'll watch, at least for today.
Old 03.27.2017, 08:15 AM   #1107
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Knights of Sidonia is a really good far-future space opera anima. I've never encountered the manga (don't read manga, almost as a rule) but I'm sure it's based on one. Knights season 3 should be on Netflix any time. It's kind of a "mech" thing but with a lot of nice added complexity and post-sexual, post-race stuff. I do quite like it, and hope it continues.

I'll probably check out Knights next time. Need something to hold me over until new berserk.
Old 03.27.2017, 08:20 AM   #1108
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I'll probably check out Knights next time.

knights of prosperity!

stealing from the rich to give to themselves

that show was so funny. i know you guys are talking about something else, but whenever i hear "knights" i cant help myself from thinking about this and laughing

if you can ever find it check it out

eta: seems to be on hulu
Old 03.27.2017, 09:47 AM   #1109
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I'll probably check out Knights next time. Need something to hold me over until new berserk.

It's really quite good. It's well thought out and beautifully animated. The style is at once retro (a la Akira) and extremely clean and new. I'm not sure what the style is called exactly, but it's impressive how they pay homage and do their own thing simultaneously.

The story line is awesome. It's both traditional -- in a kind of "hero's journey" sense -- and novel, daring, and just plain weird enough to make for a really engrossing watch.

It's got the Netflix brand on it, but it's one of those shows that started off in Japan and was brought to U.S. audiences later, so it's not truly a Netflix "original," but compared to the other anime they've offered up (Seven Deadly Sins, Cyborg 009) it's fucking REALLY high quality. I haven't seen the other Netflix anime imports like Kuromukuro or Adventures of Sinbad or AJIN, so I can't comment on those, but so far it's just exponentially better than anything else they're out their brand on.

Season 2 came out in, like, fall or late Summer of 2015, so I have no idea why a third season hasn't made its way here yet, but there are very few anime shows that my girlfriend and I will drop what we're doing to watch as soon as they become available, and it's one of them. So check that shit out man. Let me know what you think.

I call it a mech/mecha anime, but it's really more of a horror premise. It definitely aims to terrify.

Old 03.27.2017, 09:56 AM   #1110
Severian
invito al cielo

Marcel's Iron Fist has proven worthy enough to not completely dump. Especially because I'm sick as shit right now, and stuck at home with fuckall else to do.

It's not as good as Daredevil or Jessica Jones or Like Cage ... or Agents of SHIELD (which has really picked up in 2016/17), but it's not completely worthless.

The show runners clearly watched a lot of Nicolas Winding Refn movies for inspiration to set the tone, but it comes across more like Lionheart/Kickboxer/Bloodsport, etc. than it does like Only God Forgives or Drive. Which means they failed, but whatever I'm sick. Fuck it.
Old 03.27.2017, 10:46 AM   #1111
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

man. way to ignore knights of prosperity.

when the first 8 episodes eventually turn into a cult show people will finally rave about it.
Old 04.05.2017, 12:57 PM   #1112
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

PROMISING!!! First episode sets things up for a slow burning freak show. Love Tom Hardy.

so, shit.....I watched the 4th episode of Taboo the other day. One lowsy scene. The protag is sucker punched by a monster of a human, like 6"taller, 100 pounds heavier. After taking a good kicking and punching job, he's hit full force on the top of the skull with a cosh about 18" long and 5 pounds weight. Not only does he survive, he ends up killing the big guy. And then the guy attends a dance that night, looking AfuckingOK.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2017, 02:30 PM   #1113
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I asked the 12 year old daughter of a friend of mine who is into anime what to watch and she gave me recommendations.
I am about 5 episodes into Attack on Titan

ALSO, Trailer Park Boys is back and it is awesome new season is dark and funny as fuck
Old 04.05.2017, 05:08 PM   #1114
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
so, shit.....I watched the 4th episode of Taboo the other day. One lowsy scene. The protag is sucker punched by a monster of a human, like 6"taller, 100 pounds heavier. After taking a good kicking and punching job, he's hit full force on the top of the skull with a cosh about 18" long and 5 pounds weight. Not only does he survive, he ends up killing the big guy. And then the guy attends a dance that night, looking AfuckingOK.

So.... you don't like it because of THAT?

In case you missed the atmospheric hints, James Keziah Delany is a fucking monster of a human being, with a never-quite-fully-revealed amount of cunning and some serious fuckin' fightin' chops.

How serious? Serious enough that a glance from him is enough to give most folks a near-death experience.

Anyway... the believability of the fight scenes aside, how do you feel about the rest of the show? Goddamn amazing, right? Fucking weird and glorious as hell, yeah? Probably my favorite show of the year, that one. Fucking epic!
Old 04.05.2017, 05:10 PM   #1115
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I asked the 12 year old daughter of a friend of mine who is into anime what to watch and she gave me recommendations.
I am about 5 episodes into Attack on Titan

ALSO, Trailer Park Boys is back and it is awesome new season is dark and funny as fuck

Never watched Attackn on Titan, actually. What do you think?

Also, why ask a twelve-year-old girl when you have ME?
Old 04.06.2017, 06:11 AM   #1116
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
So.... you don't like it because of THAT?

Anyway... the believability of the fight scenes aside, how do you feel about the rest of the show? Goddamn amazing, right? Fucking weird and glorious as hell, yeah? Probably my favorite show of the year, that one. Fucking epic!

if you say so.......
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2017, 08:10 AM   #1117
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

watching season 1 of REPLICANTS

lol, i meant HUMANS

which is about... replicants ha ha ha ha

but yeah they dream of other stuff

it's a decent enough show, with all the predictable artificial life form tropes at this point, and i would enjoy it more if it was just cut a little faster and it was a little more exciting. everything takes sooo fucking long. like, do i need to look at people staring at each other for all of 20 seconds? come on!

it's made in england and i'm beginning to realize british tv is great at period pieces but maybe doesn't get this type of science fiction. dr. who hell yes-- low production values and everything in the abstract, great. red dwarf the same plus jokes, great.

but both this one and some shit i saw about domestic surveillance make these scenarios a little pedestrian and boring. mind you, it's not unwatchable, but it's just a bunch of wasted chances in a way that some cheapo cardboard production like 12 monkeys or even defiance is not.

i'll watch the whole of it though i think, but just saying it could have been brilliant and it falls short.

i think maybe they try to be too didactic. yes, people get the point, you don't have to make such a fucking long explanation.

that's the same reason i stopped watching orphan black btw. "oh, if clones" and make each scene last forever. big yawn.
Old 04.06.2017, 08:53 AM   #1118
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Never watched Attackn on Titan, actually. What do you think?

Also, why ask a twelve-year-old girl when you have ME?

hahahahh. She is the daughter of one of my best friends and she is into manga and anime and her parents know NOTHING about it, and her brothers are both under 6 years old. She has never seen the Gibli films and I am gathering up a collection of them on DVD so she can watch them. Then, when she is in High School, I will send her Akira.

Attack on Titan is amazing shit. very weird, cool shit. Makes me wanna read the manga.
Old 04.06.2017, 08:54 AM   #1119
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

My wife and I finished the Brit HOuse of Cards too. Awesome. so mcuh funnier and cutting and sharp that the US version, which I dig, but which is very "arch" and overly refined at times.
Old 04.06.2017, 09:17 AM   #1120
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
hahahahh. She is the daughter of one of my best friends and she is into manga and anime and her parents know NOTHING about it, and her brothers are both under 6 years old. She has never seen the Gibli films and I am gathering up a collection of them on DVD so she can watch them. Then, when she is in High School, I will send her Akira.

Attack on Titan is amazing shit. very weird, cool shit. Makes me wanna read the manga.

There was a live action Japanese film based on Attack on Titan too. Haven't seen it because I tend to hate live action anime/manga adaptations, no matter what country they come from, but I'll watch Attack on Titan soon.

Akira is one of the greatest amines ever. Obviously. Probably, like, he Godfather of anime movies. I guess they're planning a white Hollywood live action avaptation of that too, to follow the guaranteed financial success of Ghost in the Shell. Ugh.

Anyone seen Marvel's Iron Fist? There's an actress in that show -- Jessica Henwick, who was also in Game of Thrones and had a small part in The Force Awakens -- who, in my opinion, would have made an EXCELLENT Motoko in the GITS movie. Yeah, she's British and Chinese/Singaporean, not Japanese, but it's not like there aren't Asian actors out there to use for these roles. I'd MUCH rather see a real-deal Ghost in the Shell film that, like, DIDN'T have the biggest female star in the world in it. It would be more interesting. Scarlett Johansson can only play so many sci-fi/action femme fatale leads for fuck's sake.

Anyway, maybe I'm stupid or being culturally insensitive to white people or something, but to me this looks like a better Motoko than Scarlet.

46535455 56 57585966106156 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth