Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums of 2021
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.09.2021, 10:32 AM   #161
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

Lee Ranaldo - In Virus Times (November 12)

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2021, 06:52 PM   #162
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Tim Hecker - The North Water (Original Score) (out now, dunno if there will be a physical edish)

Sarah Davachi - Antiphonals (out on the morrow )

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 09.10.2021, 07:15 AM   #163
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Stopping by to say the new Low album is one of the best things I’ve heard this year holy goddamn Christ it’s so good

HEY WHAT
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2021, 03:56 PM   #164
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

Jan Swerts is the latest addition to the Unday Records label, the label of some of my favourite Belgian bands like Flying Horseman and Dans Dans. His new album will be released in November, the first single was released last week. Check it out on his bandcamp:

Lig hier zacht en stil

yes the title is in Dutch, as they are on all his songs, but the lyrics of most of them are in English. But even if it weren't so, it's well worth checking out. I wasn't familiar with him yet, this will be his fourth album though but the first on this label. Today I've been listening to his older music, his albums and especially the few concerts that are on YT, and everything is truly stunning! Those aren't on bandcamp (yet?), but it is on youtube, perhaps on spotify as well. Start with the concerts from 2016, in which he plays the Schaduwland album integrally, here or here

Just to give you an idea, this is the tracklist of that album, which was his third and came out in 2016:
Code:
Side A 01. Rustig, Martha, Het Is Allemaal Voorbij. Er Is Geen Enkel Gevaar Meer. 02. Iedereen Is In Elkaar Aan Het Storten, Sara. Iedereen Behalve Jij. 03. Dit Was Een Belangrijke Plaats In Hun Leven, Claire. 04. Alice... Ze Is Daar Ergens. Buiten In Het Moeras. 05. Ik Had Je Nooit Alleen Mogen Laten, Becky. 06. Kijk, Jessica, Kijk Naar Al Die Lege Wegen. 07. Breng Me Thuis, Raf. Red Me. Red Me. 08. Ze Waren Doodsbang Van Me, Ruth. Side B 01. Het Duurt Zolang Het Duurt, Liza 02. Ze Komen Je Halen, Barbara. 03. Daniela, Er Is Niemand. 04. Waar, Marie? 05. Jef 06. .
which translates to:
Code:
side A 01. Calm down, Martha, It's all over. There Is No More Danger. 02. Everyone's Collapsing Into Each Other, Sara. Everyone Except You. 03. This Was An Important Place In Their Lives, Claire. 04. Alice... She's Out There Somewhere. Outside In The Swamp. 05. I Never Should Have Left You Alone, Becky. 06. Look, Jessica, Look At All Those Empty Roads. 07. Take Me Home, Raf. Save me. Save me. 08. They Were Terrified Of Me, Ruth. side B 01. It Takes While It Lasts, Liza 02. They're Coming For You, Barbara. 03. Daniela, There Is No One. 04. Where, Marie? 05. Jeff 06. .
it's inspired by the music of old school zombie movies, the titles at least. And Yes!, that is really the title of that last song!
The titles of his first album called Weg (meaning Road), consists all of addresses (roadnames and housenumbers).

it's slowcore, acoustic post-rock, neo-classical, minimal music. Reminds me of artists such as Sigur Ros, the last albums of Talk Talk, A Winged Victory for the Sullen, This Mortal Coil. Other references I read are Nils Frahm, Hauschka, Joni Mitchell. His main inspiration is Wim Mertens, don't know him either, but due to him he started making this type of music instead of post-rockish metal.

His voice reminds me of someone, but can't figure it out yet.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2021, 07:39 AM   #165
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_

Jan Swerts is the latest addition to the Unday Records label, the label of some of my favourite Belgian bands like Flying Horseman and Dans Dans. His new album will be released in November, the first single was released last week. Check it out on his bandcamp:

Lig hier zacht en stil

yes the title is in Dutch, as they are on all his songs, but the lyrics of most of them are in English. But even if it weren't so, it's well worth checking out. I wasn't familiar with him yet, this will be his fourth album though but the first on this label. Today I've been listening to his older music, his albums and especially the few concerts that are on YT, and everything is truly stunning! Those aren't on bandcamp (yet?), but it is on youtube, perhaps on spotify as well. Start with the concerts from 2016, in which he plays the Schaduwland album integrally, here or here

Just to give you an idea, this is the tracklist of that album, which was his third and came out in 2016:
Code:
Side A 01. Rustig, Martha, Het Is Allemaal Voorbij. Er Is Geen Enkel Gevaar Meer. 02. Iedereen Is In Elkaar Aan Het Storten, Sara. Iedereen Behalve Jij. 03. Dit Was Een Belangrijke Plaats In Hun Leven, Claire. 04. Alice... Ze Is Daar Ergens. Buiten In Het Moeras. 05. Ik Had Je Nooit Alleen Mogen Laten, Becky. 06. Kijk, Jessica, Kijk Naar Al Die Lege Wegen. 07. Breng Me Thuis, Raf. Red Me. Red Me. 08. Ze Waren Doodsbang Van Me, Ruth. Side B 01. Het Duurt Zolang Het Duurt, Liza 02. Ze Komen Je Halen, Barbara. 03. Daniela, Er Is Niemand. 04. Waar, Marie? 05. Jef 06. .
which translates to:
Code:
side A 01. Calm down, Martha, It's all over. There Is No More Danger. 02. Everyone's Collapsing Into Each Other, Sara. Everyone Except You. 03. This Was An Important Place In Their Lives, Claire. 04. Alice... She's Out There Somewhere. Outside In The Swamp. 05. I Never Should Have Left You Alone, Becky. 06. Look, Jessica, Look At All Those Empty Roads. 07. Take Me Home, Raf. Save me. Save me. 08. They Were Terrified Of Me, Ruth. side B 01. It Takes While It Lasts, Liza 02. They're Coming For You, Barbara. 03. Daniela, There Is No One. 04. Where, Marie? 05. Jeff 06. .
it's inspired by the music of old school zombie movies, the titles at least. And Yes!, that is really the title of that last song!
The titles of his first album called Weg (meaning Road), consists all of addresses (roadnames and housenumbers).

it's slowcore, acoustic post-rock, neo-classical, minimal music. Reminds me of artists such as Sigur Ros, the last albums of Talk Talk, A Winged Victory for the Sullen, This Mortal Coil. Other references I read are Nils Frahm, Hauschka, Joni Mitchell. His main inspiration is Wim Mertens, don't know him either, but due to him he started making this type of music instead of post-rockish metal.

His voice reminds me of someone, but can't figure it out yet.

Ok, what is this “code” feature? Is it for something specific? Like a quote of something that wasn’t actually quoted from another post?

Help me dumb brain understand

Also I will listen. Thanks
Old 09.13.2021, 10:24 AM   #166
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ok, what is this “code” feature? Is it for something specific? Like a quote of something that wasn’t actually quoted from another post?

Help me dumb brain understand
yes, I guess originally it can be used to post code ;-) but on this board it can just be used similar to quotes, and then it changes the font to, I don't know what, Times New Roman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Also I will listen. Thanks
I'm curious what you (plural actually too) think about it actually. I'm quite hooked on this music now

Old 09.13.2021, 04:31 PM   #167
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Body/Dilloway/Head (November 19)

Old 09.13.2021, 09:09 PM   #168
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Body/Dilloway/Head (November 19)

Yep
Old 09.14.2021, 12:13 PM   #169
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
and then it changes the font to, I don't know what, Times New Roman?
a monospaced font
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2021, 03:30 AM   #170
_tunic_
invito al cielo

yeah, new Mono album will be released in 2 days

Old 09.15.2021, 04:04 PM   #171
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah, new Mono album will be released in 2 days
but do we really need a followup to formica blues?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2021, 04:09 PM   #172
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

THE ALBUM OF THE YEAR HAS ARRIVED. Well, not yet - out November 5, and if you want vinyl, December 15, so guaranteed to miss all the silly "best of" lists on Metacritic. So what.

From Joyful Noise:

Quote:
Sometimes, an album falls in your midst that not only resonates with your exact time and place, but also compels you to share it with the world. Springtime's self-titled debut is one of those albums.

Gareth Liddiard (Tropical Fuck Storm / The Drones), Jim White (Dirty Three / Xylouris White) and Chris Abrahams (The Necks) are Springtime—a new endeavor that is as much a tonal experiment as it is a meditation on modern-day absurdity. Their forthcoming album uses free jazz, apocalyptic lyricism crafted alongside renowned Irish poet Ian Duhig, and improvisation to craft austere portraits of a world paralyzed by shellshock.

As we brace ourselves for another wintertime hellscape, this album is an ideal companion. Maybe within these rants, raves, and melodies we may find an answer to the question, “What fresh hell will this new season bring?”

From David Yow:

Quote:
Hello-

I love this shit.
It’s as monstrously ravishing as it is clumsy in its elegance.
Words run into each other with little regard for one another’s injuries.
There are sounds who come out of nothingness to wallop and brutalize their fellow sounds.
This Springtime record is so full of strange wanderings that are broken and piled up on themselves that the heads have no idea where their tails are.

The live recording of Will Oldham’s WEST PALM BEACH is treated with love and respect and would certainly be met with open arms by its author. JEANIE IN A BOTTLE and THE VIADUCT LOVE SUICIDE are magnificent songs originally penned by Gareth Liddiard’s Irish uncle, Ian Duhig. The latter piece is a true story of a woman in the UK who had an abusive husband and a disabled child. She jumped off a bridge with her son in her arms. The press were saying she was fucked for doing such a thing, so Ian wrote the poem showing she was not. THE ISLAND is a noisy improvisation that’s wicked and wild with a slinky Hammond organ sneaking its way through the clatter. Irish composer Herbert Hughes wrote the tragic and haunting SHE MOVED THROUGH THE FAIR which exists in a number of versions and has been recorded by several artists (this one is best). THE KILLING OF THE VILLAGE IDIOT is about the Australian Special Forces who went around slaughtering civilians in Afghanistan and recently got investigated and busted for it.

The single most important component in collaborative art is the chemistry between the collaborators. Jim White has long been one of my favorite drummers: He reminds me of no one. His ability to keep perfect time while deviating from convention and tossing tambourines and broken cymbals on his kit is as marvelous to watch as it is to listen to. Gareth Liddiard’s guitar playing feels out of control, but he knows exactly what he’s doing. He throws nuanced accents like darts among the filthy din of distortion. And the ferocity his voice reaches is tremendous. Maestro Chris Abrahams’ playing is in a class by itself, ranging from the charm of Erik Satie to the nastiness of a truck-mounted excavator. These three gentlemen work, play and improvise together in an emotionally volatile universe. You could call it “jazz”, but that word is way too jazzy for what Springtime creates. There is no pompous audacity. No terrible flagrancy. Their music is heartfelt. It’s important.

Love,
David Yow

https://spring-time.bandcamp.com/album/springtime

Old 09.23.2021, 09:43 PM   #173
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm in a piano mood lately

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...45#post1413845

Old 09.24.2021, 11:42 AM   #174
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

From the archives: Sex Pistols - 76-77

Quote:
Sex Pistols 76-77 is a comprehensive and definitive collection of Sex Pistols recordings before the release of Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols. Featuring no less than 80 alternate versions of tracks recorded between May 1976 and Sept 1977, together with a bonus disc featuring the infamous Spunk bootleg.

To be released as a 4CD set and digitally on September 24th 2021, it contains eight previously unreleased versions and 30 tracks available for the first time digitally.

I think September 24th (today) is the UK release date, and October 1st the US one.

Old 10.06.2021, 11:22 AM   #175
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Can - Live In Brighton 1975 (December 2)

Old 10.09.2021, 05:28 PM   #176
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
New Tears For Fucking Fears!!!
Old 10.09.2021, 05:28 PM   #177
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Old 10.09.2021, 10:51 PM   #178
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj

They sucked the first time. Got any indication that this time they won't suck?

If we can jump to early 2022 already (climate change, gerrymandering and debt ceiling permitting), on January 14 Cat Power will release her Nth album of covers, titled... Covers. Tracklist:

1. "Bad Religion" - Frank Ocean
2. "Unhate" - (Cat Power original)
3. "Pa Pa Power" - Dead Man’s Bones
4. "A Pair of Brown Eyes" - The Pogues
5. "Against the Wind" - Bob Seger
6. "Endless Sea" - Iggy Pop
7. "These Days" - Jackson Browne
8. "It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" - Kitty Wells
9. "I Had a Dream Joe" - Nick Cave
10. "Here Comes a Regular" - The Replacements
11. "I’ll Be Seeing You" - Billie Holiday

The Mats cover alone should be worth the price of admission. Back in the day, she used to sneak that song into her live covers of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door".

https://www.undertheradarmag.com/news/cat_power_announces_new_album_shares_new_frank_oce an_and_pogues_covers

Old 10.18.2021, 01:31 AM   #179
_tunic_
invito al cielo

Perhaps this one should be in the Best Albums of 2022 thread, but there isn't one yet

Quote:
Hi all
We’re incredibly excited to tell you about a massively exciting, brand new project that we’ve been working on for a while in conjunction with The Wedding Present:

24 SONGS

A brand new 7" single every month throughout 2022
Yep, you heard it right. The Wedding Present will be releasing a new piece of shiny vinyl every month for a year, starting in January.
Does that sound familiar? Well, after 30 years, we all felt like it was time for another go!
24 Songs sees David Gedge writing with legendary Sleeper guitarist Jon Stewart for the first time, and a more perfect union could not have been predicted. We’re immensely proud of the results and hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we do.
The first release includes ‘We Should Be Together’, the gorgeous duet featuring David and Louise Wener [also from Sleeper] and it’s coupled with ‘Don’t Give Up Without A Fight’, which combines classic Wedding Present feistiness with a Krautrock finale.
‘We Should Be Together’ will be available to listen to at The Wedding Present’s official YouTube channel from Tuesday 19 October at 2PM.
Oh, and as if twenty-four Wedding Present songs wasn’t enough… each of the records will come in a beautifully designed sleeve featuring brutalist photography by Jessica McMillan. And there’ll be a hand-numbered collector’s box to put them all in, too.
You can buy them one at a time or subscribe for the whole series by clicking here.
They will, of course, also be available at all good record shops.
Enjoy!
Team Clue

https://www.24songs.scopitones.co.uk/

DAVID GEDGE TALKING ABOUT 24 SONGS
“In 1991, The Wedding Present were rehearsing in a studio in Yorkshire when we hit upon an idea that immediately thrilled us all. Our bass player [Keith Gregory] had been a member of the ‘Sub Pop Singles Club’ - a service that allowed subscribers to receive 7”s released by that Seattle label on a monthly basis. Keith wondered if we, as a band, could attempt a similar thing. In that instant, The Wedding Present’s Hit Parade series was born and, during 1992, we managed to release a brand new 7” single each and every month.
“The Hit Parade went on to become something of a significant milestone in the history of the band and it’s a project about which I’m often asked. As its thirtieth anniversary approached, I began to wonder if we should celebrate it in some way. A ‘Hit Parade Part 2’ didn’t feel quite right, though. Then, someone said to me: “Other bands have released music in similar ways but there has been nothing like the Hit Parade.” And they were right! A 7” single a month seems, somehow, very ‘Wedding Present’. So, inspired by that little idea from three decades ago, we’ve embarked on this new project, 24 Songs.
“Even though The Wedding Present have never been known for taking the easy route, the idea of recording 24 tracks and releasing them in this way could seem daunting to any band. However, I’ve been inspired by the music that has been written since Jon and Melanie joined the group. The thought of celebrating this exciting new line-up with an exciting new series has motivated us all… and I suppose we also didn’t want any of these songs to be hidden away in the middle of an album!”

This is a series that you won’t want to miss!

Old 10.21.2021, 07:25 PM   #180
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Nicole Atkins - Memphis Ice
Jeff Tweedy - Live Is The King

Both December 10.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth