Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Bill Maher Kicks Conspiracy Theorist out of His Audience...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.14.2008, 08:35 PM   #61
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
no, but it just as easily could have, Bill Maher is a self-righteous prick who thrives on his own ignorance mistaking it for some form of intelligence, simply because he is Bill Maher

Yeah, he can be a bit of a miscreant whore for political humor at times. I thought you were gonna bump tesla from the top spot there for a second, phew!

However, he does do a lot of good with his show
since his is one of the only outlets for free(er) political discussion on television. But for all the good he does, he also fucks stuff up sometimes, usually when he deviates from his writers methinks or things start to get heated with guests. He also seems to gloss over bigger issues sometimes in favor of going straight to trying to get someone's goat.

One idea that he likes to think of as "his" is the whole prescription drug thing. I think because it makes for some good humor sometimes.
He has valid points, but he's also an exaggerator as well on this issue, so much so that he's been asked by some whether he's some sort of Christian Scientist when it comes to medicine. He's not, but he thinks a lot like one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me (previously)
I generally enjoy his show very much and find it an entertaining and stimulating platform. Sometimes it's even rather informative, even somewhat bipartisan. What I don't enjoy is Maher's rather narrow-minded and one-dimensional view of religion, but then again, I suppose organized religion tends to lend itself to being an easy target.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2008, 09:00 PM   #62
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
As a British fan of Bill Maher, i take his show from a Bush-critical point of view, and i dont get to criticise it from an American-centric point of view. But he often seems to have people on who he clearly disagrees with. And the show is clearly advertised as a subjective programme where the focus is mostly on jokes, however hit and miss they are (IMO).

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2008, 09:10 PM   #63
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
As a British fan of Bill Maher, i take his show from a Bush-critical point of view, and i dont get to criticise it from an American-centric point of view. But he often seems to have people on who he clearly disagrees with. And the show is clearly advertised as a subjective programme where the focus is mostly on jokes, however hit and miss they are (IMO).

you have to understand, that the social, political and economic circumstances in the United States were fucked up two hundred years before any Bush president, and seem to continue this way for infinity. It is much bigger then some puppet presidents, I assure you, and this is not conspiracy this is history, of racism, inequality and disenfranchisement, not just against say 'blacks' but against Americans across the board. The largest segment of the American population are poor whites from the south, so clearly this issue of disenfranchisement is bigger then mere racism alone. This is what hints me towards accepting some so-called consipiracies.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2008, 09:40 PM   #64
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
you have to understand, that the social, political and economic circumstances in the United States were fucked up two hundred years before any Bush president, and seem to continue this way for infinity. It is much bigger then some puppet presidents, I assure you, and this is not conspiracy this is history, of racism, inequality and disenfranchisement, not just against say 'blacks' but against Americans across the board. The largest segment of the American population are poor whites from the south, so clearly this issue of disenfranchisement is bigger then mere racism alone. This is what hints me towards accepting some so-called consipiracies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me (from page one again)
The structure of power has always been rooted in conspiracies throughout human history, thus conspiracy is a very real concept with very real ramifications in our world.

So we're in a general sense of agreement here.

& to clarify
Quote:
Originally Posted by another by me from page one
People use the blanket term "conspiracy theorist" so often these days. Although I do understand why the label is used because there are many (at best) paranoid and (at worse) self-serving loose cannons that don't bother to get the facts straight, I don't subscribe to all of the implied connotations arising from the use of the derogatory term.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2008, 09:45 PM   #65
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

the american system being against the best wishes of the people is not what i deny, and i hasten to add that i am not an American so i lack a perspective that you yourself have. on our side, the government is full of tits

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2008, 10:36 PM   #66
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
the american system being against the best wishes of the people is not what i deny, and i hasten to add that i am not an American so i lack a perspective that you yourself have. on our side, the government is full of tits

this much I know, I was not going for an arguement or confrontation, just spreading a little information. plus, most Americans believe Bush is the root of all their evils, and so they perpetuate this myth and will let the next asshole be just as bad.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth