Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Anyone know how to create an effect loop on Behringer 1002 mix?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.15.2009, 05:30 PM   #1
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Been trying to do that almost all evening and I did not succeed. I'm a dumbass, that's for sure. Anyone can help with how to make an effect loop there? There's only one Effect Send output and no Effect return.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 06:01 PM   #2
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Been trying to do that almost all evening and I did not succeed. I'm a dumbass, that's for sure. Anyone can help with how to make an effect loop there? There's only one Effect Send output and no Effect return.

slavo just return the effect onto one or two of the regular channels at line level. fx send --> effects unit input / effects unit output --> line input 3/4 or 5/6 or 7/8 or 9/10 or even line input on channel 1 and 2.

also on the back of your effects machine, unless of course you are using a guit fx pedal there will or generally should be a -20/+4 dbu switch for the output level. i generally run these at -20 dbu due to the noise floor of most effects units but depending on what you have you may want to run it at +4dbu. if you are using guit effects pedals I would return the effect on channels 1 and/or 2 so you have more control over your gain stage. if you want a more thorough loo at this i can take some photos of how to do it on my studio gear.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 08:03 PM   #3
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
so i thought i would take some pictures for you anyhow slavo. in these examples i am using aux 1 and 2 on an old nehringer 1602 eurorack. i'm using both aux 1 and 2 because in this example i am making a stereo fx send and return for a korg kaos pad III. in your case the fx send is actually an auxillary output and you could use as such for one send of foldback if you were going to use it live. and in this case i'm going to pretend that my aux 1 and 2 are your mono fx send output.

so: aux 1 and 2 (your fx output)

patch your cable to aux 1 and 2 output (fx output in your case)

your effects unit input

patch the cables you took from your output to the input of your effects machine

Old 12.15.2009, 08:06 PM   #4
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

then your effects machine output

plug a seperate cable to the output

then plug this into a channel or in my case two channels, in this case i will use line input 9 and 10

patch your cables from your effects machine output to you line input channels

Old 12.15.2009, 08:17 PM   #5
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

also hypertonic a y cable is not like an insert cable and insert cables come in different forms because different consoles have different inserts, some are balanced and some are unbalanced. on your mackie if there is inserts they are unbalanced, ie it will be a trs 1/4 inch jack with the tip handling either the send or return depending on how mackie wire their consoles and the ring handling the other ie if it is tip send the ring will be the return and vice versa, while the sleeve handles the shield. on other consoles the inserts can be balanced so a seperate cable for the send and return of the input channel. also inserts are generally pre gain and pre eq in the channels signal path. a y cable is generally used to split a signal across two channels so these are one xlr3 female to two xlr3 males. if it is the other way around then it is a combiner and needs resistors soldered inside the cable so the channel does not become overloaded.

inserts are generally used for compression and equalisation.
Old 12.15.2009, 09:40 PM   #6
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

not that i know of, i do my feedback loops just by setting up a normal fx send / return like in the pics i took for slavo and i just wind it in upon itself cos the shitty little console im using at the moment only has inserts on the mix outs. my other console is out on tour.
Old 12.16.2009, 03:45 AM   #7
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
slavo just return the effect onto one or two of the regular channels at line level. fx send --> effects unit input / effects unit output --> line input 3/4 or 5/6 or 7/8 or 9/10 or even line input on channel 1 and 2.

also on the back of your effects machine, unless of course you are using a guit fx pedal there will or generally should be a -20/+4 dbu switch for the output level. i generally run these at -20 dbu due to the noise floor of most effects units but depending on what you have you may want to run it at +4dbu. if you are using guit effects pedals I would return the effect on channels 1 and/or 2 so you have more control over your gain stage. if you want a more thorough loo at this i can take some photos of how to do it on my studio gear.

erm, ... i tried that yesterday (putting effect through channels 1 or 2), since that is a guitar pedal ... or, better said, it used to be a guitar pedal, now it's a circuit bent noise mayhem machine. But it somehow does not seem to work. the regular input signal keeps playing untouched and the feedback from the noise pedal keeps playing by itself ... but I see no interaction between the two signals, y'know?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2009, 05:45 AM   #8
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

you want it to loop back onto itself? if so then wind up the fx pot on channels one and two and it will feed its own signal back onto itself. have your fx send at about 2 oclock, are you seeing signal on the return channels? the fx send i would say is wired post fade inside the desk so try putting the channel pots to unity (0db).

what r u using to send signal to the fx unit? are you pluging into the desk then with guit or mic or something, then dialing up the fx pot on that channel? which routes it through to the fx out, then return it to one of your other channels?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth