Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Wow, a thread about noise? No WAY!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.02.2007, 09:10 AM   #61
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
kevin drumm's sheer hellish miasma.
Just listened to some samples on juno.co.uk. I think I may be a lost cause as far as noise is concerned, I just wanted it to go away.

Can we bond over the new Sugababes instead?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 09:11 AM   #62
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer noise rock to flat out noise

bands like early sonic youth, polvo, parts & labor are my cup of tea.

I own many noise records, but I can only enjoy the lightning bolt and the free jazz type stuff. the wolf eyes is hit or miss.
Old 10.02.2007, 09:14 AM   #63
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
merzbow - rainbow electronics (the old "classic" merzbow)
merzbow - yoshinotsune (the new style merzbow)
merzbow - aqua necromancer (merzbow almost doing "normal" music)
merzbow - pulse demon (full on harshness)
merzbow - 1930 (quiet merzbow)

these records cover various different aspects of merzbow's music
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 09:14 AM   #64
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Just listened to some samples on juno.co.uk. I think I may be a lost cause as far as noise is concerned, I just wanted it to go away.

Can we bond over the new Sugababes instead?

of course some odd seconds sample is going to sound like crap! that record is supposed to be taken as the sprawling epic monster it is.

seriously, you need to hear those pieces revealing themselves to you.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 09:16 AM   #65
sarramkrop

Quote:
hmmm...i've also started to think about the "beginners" part of the beginners guide you mentioned...if someone came from listening to anything remotely discordant and then faced with an incapacitants record, they probably would not listen to a single sound without covering their ears.

most people begin listening to dissonant rock or free jazz and at some point get plugged to noise. i don't know how a harsh-harsher-harshest scenario can work; in my case, i liked noisy rock for a long time, then listened to other stuff that was kinda ok (wolf eyes, sightings) but it wasn't until i heard merzbow's veneorology that i really got excited about this, mainly because how opressive and 'unlistenable' it was.

therefore, i would recommend to anyone getting into noise to get straight to the harsh shit (masonna, merzbow, incapacitants, hiyokaidan, etc.).

one album, though, that's probably the best introduction and not because it's soft enough to be liked at first listen, it's hard as fuck, but at the same time it's well arranged and executed it's one of the best albums from start to finish. kevin drumm's sheer hellish miasma.

Yeah, but all the stuff that you mentioned is:

- From people who turned noise into an art form, complete with its own aesthetics. Note that all the musicians that you have mentioned happen to be Japanese, who remain the true masters in this field.

- Sonic Youth get tagged as noise rock all the time, and for a reason too, but I doubt that they would have been able to make the records that they have made if noise was the sole influence on their music.

- Not exactly everyone who listens to free jazz is automatically into noise music. There's noise in free jazz but it's generally created by people who can also play conventionally, as well as non-conventionally, thus giving the listeners much less of a hard time trying to work out why someone is (non)playing like that.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 09:22 AM   #66
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
The only noise gigs I really enjoyed recently were Sutcliffe Jugend and Jazzkammer full Metal Music Machine line-up. Especially the last one was really fantastic, although not everyone would really considerate it noise I guess.

John Wiese on the other hand would've bored me to tears if it wasn't for the fortunate fact that he played so short. And several more (especially laptop and/or delay pedal) noise dudes and dudettes have kind of bored me recently, so I definitely recognise the feeling of getting bored with noise. When you first start listening to it there's interesting stuff to discover, but sooner or later it definitely gets samey and I hardly buy any of it anymore. I've never participated in getting all those limited-to-23-self-released-cassettes-of-such-and-such band or all the weekly CDRs by the usual suspects that appear on places like Volcanic Tongue etc, but nowadays I tend to skip the merch tables at live shows too, sometimes even if the band were good. Because whenever I buy some noise album there I listen to it like 2-3 times at most and then it just ends up collecting dust in some random pile of unlistened stuff... that pile is getting too big now.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 09:26 AM   #67
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Yeah, but all the stuff that you mentioned is:

- From people who turned noise into an art form, complete with its own aesthetics. Note that all the musicians that you have mentioned happen to be Japanese, who remain the true masters in this field.

- Sonic Youth get tagged as noise rock all the time, and for a reason too, but I doubt that they would have been able to make the records that they have made if noise was the sole influence on their music.

- Not exactly everyone who listens to free jazz is automatically into noise music. There's noise in free jazz but it's generally created by people who can also play conventionally, as well as non-conventionally, thus giving the listeners much less of a hard time trying to work out why someone is (non)playing like that.

1) i gave the most famous examples of harsh noise there which happens to be by pioneers of the sound which are japanese. and yes, they are some of the best noisers ever, but it's not the end all be all of noise. i could definitely say lasse marhaug (although his stuff is all over the place) or perhaps leslie keffer, fe-mail or metek.

2) yes, but that's sonic youth and we're discussing noise, not them. i totally agree on this point, though.

3) you misinterpreted the "most people begin listening to..." thing i typed, i meant "most people WHO GET INTO NOISE begin listening to dissonant rock or free jazz...". of course it's not a rule.
Old 10.02.2007, 09:54 AM   #68
sarramkrop

Quote:
1) i gave the most famous examples of harsh noise there which happens to be by pioneers of the sound which are japanese. and yes, they are some of the best noisers ever, but it's not the end all be all of noise. i could definitely say lasse marhaug (although his stuff is all over the place) or perhaps leslie keffer, fe-mail or metek.

2) yes, but that's sonic youth and we're discussing noise, not them. i totally agree on this point, though.

3) you misinterpreted the "most people begin listening to..." thing i typed, i meant "most people WHO GET INTO NOISE begin listening to dissonant rock or free jazz...". of course it's not a rule.

1,2,3. Let's Go!!!!!

1 - Sure, there are certainly other noise merchants out there that don't happen to be Japanese ( NON was mentioned on this thread and me and you seem to share a fondness for Pita, to name a couple of the good ones), but the Japanese have an amazing arsenal of artists in that field that put a lot of the others to shame. They also tend to use imagery that gels well with all the crazy racket.

2 - I've just thrown that comment in before someone was going to mention the omnipresent ones like it happens often on noise threads.

3 - Ok, I must have mis-read as it was the other way round. My bad.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 10:01 AM   #69
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Exactly, noise is fucking interesting as hell to read about, but rarely is it easy to listen to.

And what Saaram said is true: It is way too easy to make, in about 5 minutes you can record some feedback, go into a computer program, pitch it and slow it down, and sell it as your latest drone masterpiece. Instant album that will probably sell. You look at almost all the noise that has gotten popular, and you will see that it's mainly artists who release shit-tons of shit on many different labels. That's the secret to playing the noise game. And it's fucking lame. Honestly, if I see a band has a million releases and have only been around for a year, it'll be a long time before I check them out. A band like Mammal or the Goslings, though, who has been at it for years and only has a few full lengths under the belt, totally gets my support.

This makes complete sense.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 10:07 AM   #70
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

definitely, i'll get into the japanese discussion; pita i consider is more electronica than anything, with a lot of noise elements. i admire peter a lot, actually, i reviewed a bas... for the magazine i work and i made the point that he is one of the few electronic artist to not work in a fixed genre and that there's to explore sound more than anyone in their field.

now, yes, i agree with your point on the japanese artists, definitely but a crucial point is that they pioneeered this shit and that's why they are THE people for many and rightfully so.

actually, i had this talk with someone here, who started noise, he said it was whitehouse and the whole power electronics crew in england and i said it was hijokaidan and merzbow and all the harsh people in japan. sure whitehouse, sutcliffed, ramleh, etc. started before-ish the japanese and influenced those guys but they worked in very fixed parameters all of them and their focus was in the vocals and the lyrics more so than the music. the japanese on the other hand, shifted the attention towards the sounds and expanded upon them, making them more brutal but also covering more ground.

of course, this is a debate on par with who started punk.

ps: i think rob instigator beat you to name the omnipresent ones.
Old 10.02.2007, 10:10 AM   #71
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I agree its like the bands notorious for have put out a boatload are Wolf Eyes, Dead Machines, Hair Police...etc to me only have a handful of listenable well done works not that they are bad groups but that also feel that they can release a recording of some throwdown of tom-foolery in their basement recorded to some mini-cassette recorder, where i could go toss the same recorder next a garbage truck on trash day as it stops to churn all the crap from the neighborhood and it would sound the same. so to me these types of groups are more about marketing themselves for "what they do" without regard to "what they sound like" which in my opinion is unfortunate. agreed i respect more those bands that take some care in what they put out but they are few and far between...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 10:24 AM   #72
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I still enjoy noise but not as much as I used to, musicly because lately I've been making real melodic music. But I think where the hate for noise lies is that fact that there is nothing for the listener to sing or hum along too. I can't really explain it but I think some will get what I'm saying.
I also think noise is for the more "advanced" listeners. I much prefer noise music and noise rock any time of the day though.
It's just another form of art. Oh and telling an noise artist to make music not noise is kind of like telling a grave digger to kill a man, maybe? I don't know. Yeah. I'm sure it's all been said already.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 10:27 AM   #73
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
I think where the hate for noise lies is that fact that there is nothing for the listener to sing or hum along too. I can't really explain it but I think some will get what I'm saying.
I can relate to that. Very much so.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 10:29 AM   #74
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
I'm sick of it. No what you expected to hear? Well, a week ago, and for the past, oh I don't know, 2 years maybe, I never would have expected to say it. But it all sounds the same. I'm the type of person who is constantly looking for something new in music, and noise doesn't provide. I won't say there is no skill involved, because that will start flames like none other on this board, but even the biggest noise "musicians" have to admit there isn't much skill involved. It serves the purpose of clearing the mental pallet, and maybe breaking the usual brain paths you form so as to keep you open to new stuff, but on a musical level, I'm just tired of it. Make some music for god's sake, not just noise. I had this revelation while listening to Robert Ashley's Wolfman Tapes. Yes, the same album I myself uploaded to the board no longer than a week ago I believe, and with great enthusiasm I might add. While I had heard it before and thought I enjoyed it, all I could think was "What in the world is this crap?" I mean, let's look at it for what it is. It's a guy who is praised for doing nothing but making noise. Seriously, stop with the pretentiousness and take off the hipster glasses and see it for what it is. IT IS NOT MUSIC. IT IS NOISE.

Some of it is shit. I agree. However, bands like Yellow Swans certainly don't do the same shit every release and they're one of the greatest bands around today. Don't judge a genre by the shit they produce. Judge it by the beautiful releases they put out.

Bring the Neon War Home is one of my all-time favorite records.
Old 10.02.2007, 10:31 AM   #75
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
thinking about the beginner thing for a second...

I got into noise because I started out by screaming into a microphone and posting it on mp3.com when I was in 8th grade.. recording feedback and stuff.. you know, "Revolutionary" shit, haha.. I wasn't even aware that people did that for a living.. someone reccomended merzbow, and I heard "soft water rhinoceros". I think that the idea that people were making noise never surprised me, but it was initially difficult to approach as a listener. I completely immersed myself in it for a while, you know, and I listened to the Merzbox in 2 whole weekends about 3 or 4 years ago.

Quite frankly, I think immersing yourself in noise is the best way to go. Let it soak in. I dont' know if there really are "Beginner's" records, since noise itself is so broad and there are so many directions you can go in. Just get used to enjoying and loving sounds. Someone once said to me that noise is the sound of life itself. I hit him and kissed him.

http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=314 <-- that is quite interesting

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 10:32 AM   #76
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Bring the Neon War Home

excellent!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 10:35 AM   #77
sarramkrop

I got into noise because of Sonic Youth, Throbbing Gristle, Nirvana and Shonen Knife.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 10:37 AM   #78
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I goty into noise because of the second half of MOTE
Old 10.02.2007, 10:40 AM   #79
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I got into noise because I was a teenager.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 10:41 AM   #80
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I got into noise to be cool.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth