Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped is a let down
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.03.2006, 10:00 PM   #21
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I agree, when I first heard the album I was a bit let down as well. I was expecting something a bit more experimental. Ya know the old fashioned Sonic Sound: squealing guitars, lots of feedback, crazy noise freak-outs. monolithic jams, etc. Not that I dont like teh new album. Its very good. But it just doesnt live up to the Sonic Youth name in my opinion. It is an enertaining listen, but there weakest realease since NYC: Ghosts and Flowers. Overall a good album, just not a really great album. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 10:58 PM   #22
createsounds
little trouble girl

createsounds has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcreatesounds has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcreatesounds has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
again ill say it it would be cool if people would not bash SY on their vry own forum but im shure that would be way out of the boundaries of common courtesy ...............

and p.s. dude NYC G&F is one of the best sy albums........ your freakin crayz..........
createsounds is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 11:24 PM   #23
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
no one understands my pair o' D's.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 01:35 AM   #24
ozZuB-ginK
little trouble girl

ozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to behold
i wish ppl would save their stupid opinions about the new record until AFTER it's released. It sucks for those of us who respect SY enough not to download the leaked version and are waiting for it to be released to hear it.
ozZuB-ginK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 01:47 AM   #25
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
If you listen to anything long enough, you will like it.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 02:41 AM   #26
Sn@ke
bad moon rising

Sn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's asses
This thread:

Sn@ke

Sn@ke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 03:19 AM   #27
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laila
yeah i have heard it...so shoot me!!! but anyways i was hoping for something a bit more hard and loud. this just seems like a even mellower nurse. very disappointing. i'm gonna go listen to kill yr idols now. bye!

is it mellow like NYC Ghosts & Flowers?
i havent heard it yet.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 04:17 AM   #28
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Note to Chris Habib... could we please have a Sonic Highschool section so us oldies don't get exposed to all of this impulsive treacle?.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 05:21 AM   #29
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
its predictable from the moment it starts. unpredictability was the one thing that always kept sonic youth good and fresh for me and it has now vanished. you can guess the next guitar riff all the way thru the album.
the bits that you didnt see coming still sound very very familiar to people who know sonic youths better albums. probably be a decent tour though, the songs do "rock" which will probably inspire them to play some good olduns and get the shows going into some hard/fast hold that tiger like sets.

i like about three songs, reena being the best. the rest is just ..... predictable. kims voice after the first song has developed some wierd english accent, lee's voice aint tip top, the lyrics are horrible half the time and the only thing that will make me listen to it again is the beautiful warm production. listening to the first track 12 times is far more satisfying than playing the whole album.
nurse sucked
rather ripped aint much better.
thats my opinion, i hope you can al find more in it than i have been able to so far.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 05:26 AM   #30
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
and why not talk about it till its released? it builds up hype for the new record, good or bad talk. and to be fair, if theres one place in the world you shouldnt come if you dont wanna hear about it, its here.
whats the problem with downloading rather ripped? everyone here whos downloaded it has only done so because they are big SY fans and they wanna hear it now. everyones gonna buy it anyway. yu dont have to listen to it yet if you dont want to . i fail to see how a handfull of people throwing very different opinions on an album of music can ruin the listening experience for anyone. ive always found it just makes me more excited anyway.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 08:55 AM   #31
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Im not bashing NYC: G&F. I just don't think it was that good of an album. It's decent, but not great. And neither is Rather Ripped. I also agree w/ Wax. Some of you people are taking this downloading thing way too fucking serious. So what if some of us download for free? We're going to keep doing it whether you like it or not. So suck it up and accept it as a reality and an inevitability. You act like whiney babies!!!! And yes, the new album is predictable and rather weak! I love the band, I truly do! And I do like Rather Ripped. It's an okay record. But we can't expect to just kiss the band's ass every time they put out an album. Sometimes great musicians release not so great music. It happens. If you like the album, thats cool. No big deal. If you don't like the album, then this is just as good a place to discuss opinions as any. Just because we all come here to talk about the band doesnt mean we have to kiss up to them. It's constructive criticism. I for one won't stoop to ignorant, childish criticism toward the new album. And I won't get angry at people who don't like the same records as me. Everyone GET OVER IT!
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 10:38 AM   #32
radical adult
empty page

radical adult cold hard suckaradical adult cold hard suckaradical adult cold hard suckaradical adult cold hard suckaradical adult cold hard suckaradical adult cold hard suckaradical adult cold hard suckaradical adult cold hard suckaradical adult cold hard suckaradical adult cold hard suckaradical adult cold hard sucka
I want to second wax & kingcoffee.

"Predictable" really is the word for all the musical "ideas" on the new album.
For me it is the weakest of ALL official albums.

It is really a big disappointment even if "sonic nurse" was a little premonition.

(though: sure it is an okay-album, but I wouldn't write on this message-board like a teenager when sonic youth were just about bringing out "okay-albums")
radical adult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 10:49 AM   #33
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I have never been let down and after hearing Reena I'm sure that I won't be with RR.

+1

and plus Paris live

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 12:37 PM   #34
lol
little trouble girl

lol kicks all y'all's asseslol kicks all y'all's asseslol kicks all y'all's asseslol kicks all y'all's asseslol kicks all y'all's asseslol kicks all y'all's asseslol kicks all y'all's asseslol kicks all y'all's asseslol kicks all y'all's asseslol kicks all y'all's asseslol kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozZuB-ginK
i wish ppl would save their stupid opinions about the new record until AFTER it's released. It sucks for those of us who respect SY enough not to download the leaked version and are waiting for it to be released to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic johnny
Note to Chris Habib... could we please have a Sonic Highschool section so us oldies don't get exposed to all of this impulsive treacle?.

ROFL
lol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 12:46 PM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
hear hear backwards king buzzo!!!

I am right with ya!
Old 05.04.2006, 12:47 PM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
and laila, what were you expecting? thurston said this album was a ROCKER, and that means the focus is on propulsive songs and ctchy hooks and NOT on experimentation. I mean, com on people!!!!! let sonic youth be sonic youth!!!!
Old 05.04.2006, 01:05 PM   #37
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
i didn't like RR.
Looks like they had the urge to do somthing less experimental. Too bad...
Old 05.04.2006, 01:11 PM   #38
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
I like Rather Ripped a lot more than Nurse. I'm glad for the slight change in direction, I was getting tired of the schtick they had going with Jim O'Rourke.
Old 05.04.2006, 04:42 PM   #39
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
i don't understand how anybody could think murray street is more exciting than RR. MS is possibly the most boring album in their catalogue. also, Nurse seems to be just as much a pastiche of previous sy as this record (RR) appears to be
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 04:49 PM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
More Hayden bitching! That's one of my favourite bits of the forum. He's utterly inconsistent, but by God is he ever a bitch.

I haven't heard the album, and I'm amazed that people have managed to form opinions on it already. Amazed and slightly startled. In fact, I did a little wee in my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth