Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page show(s) you feel most fortunate to have seen
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.25.2008, 10:12 PM   #41
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air

Nirvana at Squid Row in Seattle with three other people in the audience, opening for Skin Yard in 1989.

you take the gold!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 10:40 PM   #42
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
-Dinosaur Jr's first reunion show in NYC with Broken Social Scene and Magik Markers opening...

i was there, although bss and the markers (and radio 4) blew ass. at least bss made me laugh when they said they were 2 members short because they got arrested for buying pot.

dinosaur were amazing, lost my shit when they played "little furry things", murph lost his glasses and ended in the crowd and someone handed them to lou (and went "glasses? what glasses?"), j broke a string right before the solo in "freak scene", the crowd yelling "YOU!" and pointing to the band during "just like heaven", a stagediver almost nailed me with his boot when he dove and they closed with "chunks".

----

also, very important gig, exodus in '04, they came here two days after zetro quit the band for the second time, the band came onstage and gary holt said "we lost our lead singer a few days ago and we had to invite our friend to play, but if you know exodus you know that we NEVER CANCEL A GIG!" and went straight up to play the song "exodus" followed by "piranha". they played so hard and so intense, one of the most brutal pits i've ever seen and just amazing intense music all around. ohh man, when they played "a lesson in violence" i lost it!

also, i saw morbid angel in 1995 as a three piece (david, trey and pete) and just a few months before david quit the band, first underground show i've ever been to, so heavy and amazing; when they played the slow songs, they played them twice as slow. i saw them again a few years ago, and they were just as intense.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 10:42 PM   #43
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you take the gold!

I suppose it's all relative. Somebody saw them at a house party in Aberdeen and it wasn't me. I was so totally blown away by that show at Squid Row though, that I left before the headliner even went on because I had already been rocked perfectly and wanted to leave on that high note.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 10:55 PM   #44
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i was there, although bss and the markers (and radio 4) blew ass. at least bss made me laugh when they said they were 2 members short because they got arrested for buying pot.
I really loved BSS that day but I guess you love them or hate them but yes, Dinosaur fucking KILLED IT.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 05:45 AM   #46
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
MBV (obviously)

Portishead in 2008

public Enemy (first ever time Nation Of Millions was performed in it's entirity)

DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist (only UK performance of Hard Sell)

Damo Suzuki's Network in Winchester (never will such a legend as Damo play in the back of a pub in Winchester again)

Aerogramme (last ever gig)

Jesus and Mary Chain twice (they don't play much at all, god knows what the future holds for them, just glad to have caught them when I did)

The Fire Engines (probably the last time i'll ever be able to see them)

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 05:49 AM   #47
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Smoking weed outside the rehearsals for David Gilmour's Royal Albert Hall gigs in a tiny village called Chiddingfold in Surrey. I got the performance that cost £250+ for a seat, for free, shared it with freinds, met Rick Wright, Once in a lifetime - perfect moment.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 10:54 AM   #48
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
the show i was the most fortunate to have seen must have been the buzzcocks performing at this weird, tiny pub in adelaide, australia.
basically my father and i travelled specifically down under to visit my grandparents (my grandfather was critically ill, and we felt that this was the last time we were going to see him before he passed away). my grandfather actually died whilst we were out there and his funeral was the same day as the gig, nevertheless we still decided to go as we both felt that it would cheer us up, and it did just that.
anyway, it was possibly the most loudest, craziest, and most enjoyable experience of my life, and a complete contrast to the first half of that day. context was considerably more important than content in this particular case, and i felt like it was the perfect cure.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 11:29 AM   #49
charles eugene
bad moon rising

charles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's asses
Ofcourse , sonic youth at 930(whoopdeedoo right?)
When i saw the chili peppers at Vfest a couple years ago, i was mezmorized and ever since then i have had such a higher appreciation for music, all kinds. it definitley unlocked something in me. Hearing John Frusciante play Tiny Dancer i will never forget

charles eugene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 12:19 PM   #50
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
SY in Portland '06. My first time seeing them.

Neil Young in Portland '07. I feel very lucky to have seen him. He played a great acoustic and electric set and there was some funny banter between him and the crowd.

Dinosaur Jr. in Portland '07. My second time seeing them. At the beginning Lou had his jacket stolen and was pissed but it was returned after the first couple of songs. I was right against the stage the whole time and when they came back to do their second encore they asked the crowd what they should play. I got Lou's attention and they played Sludgefeast for me. Afterwards Lou gave me his set list.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 01:31 PM   #51
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks_to_Pop
SY in Portland '06. My first time seeing them.

I was at that gig. It was funny how everyone over 21 except for me and maybe one ore two other people was sitting up in the balcony where they could drink looking fucking bored out of their skulls. Down with the kids you could walk right up to the stage and touch the band, and the energy was great.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 03:05 PM   #52
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Ratdog Feb 2007 at the Greek Theater [it was a damn fine show, and they usually play much worse venues, it was "intimate" for dead standards and a extraordinary set list.. they went into an authentic roots reggae natural mystic rhythm for the jam on estimated prophet and run st stephen->the eleven was as perfect as it was in 1970]

Shannon Wright 2002 opening forSleater Kinney @ the Highland in Hollywood. this was easily the loudest show I have ever been to, but that was because of small, close stage and outrageously overpowered sound system. Shannon Wright's performance was perhaps the greatest piece of rock and roll I have ever fucking seen, everything, showmanship, skill, solos, chaos punk, no-wave, drunken antics, jam band bridges.... fucking insane! I went and bought all of her records searching for that sound, only to find out that they hadn't recorded an album of her loud live shit, so she did in 2004 and it a perfect album .. alas she has moved on to France and never come back!!

Shannon Wright live

more..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 11:28 PM   #53
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I was at that gig. It was funny how everyone over 21 except for me and maybe one ore two other people was sitting up in the balcony where they could drink looking fucking bored out of their skulls. Down with the kids you could walk right up to the stage and touch the band, and the energy was great.

i was also at that gig, i almost had a second panic attack (previous had one during the seattle show) but got a drink to cool down and made it up to the front for it, and it seemed to be a good mix of all ages

the security was stricter then i could have imagined so that was weird
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 04:44 AM   #54
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
pixies in 1991. their final headline gig in dublin
tortoise supporting stereolab just before millions now living came out
flaming lips in 1994 before everyone liked them and they turned shit
tom waits at a piano in a dublin pub at 11pm with about 7 people at the bar...surreal.
Old 07.27.2008, 05:00 AM   #55
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles eugene
Ofcourse , sonic youth at 930(whoopdeedoo right?)

If you're thinking the one in August 2002, then word, the most important gig of my life so far. Seeing Sonic Youth for the first time ever in my life, travelling all alone from Baltimore to DC not having a clue where the fuck I was (first time in DC, not to mention I was a foreigner), searching my way through bad neighbourhoods to find the 9:30 club, arriving there at 1pm to make sure I was the first one to stand the queue, going nuts after having heard "Skip Tracer" being played on souncheck, standing in the first row waiving at Kim, seeing "The Anxious Rats" with Kim and the girls from Erase Errata, dying of happiness to having witnessed "Tom Violence" and "Shadow of a Doubt" played live, then purchasing my first ever Sonic Youth T-Shirt (a black Confusion one ... I still have it), and finally, leaving for the Greyhound night bus back to Baltimore, totally emotionally drained. This night meant a fucking lot to me.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 05:35 AM   #56
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Electric Wizard at the Red Eye, Kings Cross, 1987 (playing to about 20 people) - they were monstrous
Merzbow, Upstairs at the Garage, Islington - next to MBV, the loudest gig I've ever attended. His set was incredible, and my hearing was fucked for the next 3 days afterwards.
Autechre at Kings College University, Covent Garden, 1996? - A fantastic gig, they were really on fire that night.
Rudolph Grey and the Blue Humans, Dublin Castle, Camden, mid 90's - one of those "legendary" performers who actually deserves the status. A full-on energy-improv fest, featuring Charles Gayle (!) on drums.
Old 07.27.2008, 09:29 AM   #57
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Swans on their Children of God Tour.
Butthole Surfers on their Hairway to Steven Tour
Pussy Galore
Action Swingers
pre-boring Royal Trux
Slayer playing the whole of Reign in Blood during their encore.
Harry Crews
Probably loads more
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 09:36 AM   #58
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
demonrail - how about Skullflower supporting Godflesh at the Marquee in Oct/Nov 1992?
Old 07.27.2008, 09:39 AM   #59
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, that'd be one of them too.

Although I wonder if it really was 1987 that you first saw Electric Wizard.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 09:41 AM   #60
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Oops! It was 1997, wasn't it? Daft me. That was the night that me and Tony got really wasted on booze, and kept shouting for (support band) Orange Goblin to fuck off.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth