Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new / most anticipated albums: 2016
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.05.2016, 09:50 PM   #221
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
well it does when you consider the fact that Richard has been churning out tepid crap for the last decade and his music isn't nearly as forward-thinking as autechre. they literally eclipsed what he was doing in the space of a record; each of those early releases can be directly compared to richard's yet are infinitely more complex, rewarding listens, and by LP5 they totally obliterate everything he has ever done.aphex has been obsolete since drukqs, and while I think his material is important in a gateway sense I think there are a lot of people at different ends of the sphere doing it much better than he is, with autechre standing in the middle dumping an unholy turd over everyone

Mmm... Well.
I appreciate how much you value Auteuchre, but I can't in good conscience say say that I support the assertion that they're "better" than RDJ. They were always way up there for me, and I love them, but I just can't get on board with the comparison. RDJ is more easily comparable to Squarepusher. Autechre has always had an entirely different vibe about them.

Also, more complex doesn't always mean better. Sometimes Autechre sounds utterly unlistenable to me. But the Richard D James Album and I Care Because You Do are exquisite listens, full of life and joy and (yes) acidic brain death, but they offer something that's nowhere to be found on records like Elseq1-5.

I dunno man. I get where you're coming from, I just don't happen to agree. Looking at RDJ's extended catalog and knowing that all of that came from ONE person is pretty mind blowing to me. Is Autechre artier? More experimental? More extreme? At this point in time, yes. But that doesn't mean they're better. Especially since the two artists "do" different things and have different approaches.

I'm kinda more into DJ Koze and his Pampa bros at this point anyway.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2016, 07:38 PM   #222
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
http://anothertimbre.com/ffansion.html

best improv disc i've heard in a while... great performance, super-detailed, and it's a nice recording as well. shipping (to the US) is fairly cheap if you order direct from the label

btw, the Cheetah ep is a real beaut.. been playing it nonstop. autechre (elseq) is a whole other animal (Demogorgon?), they can't be compared. a friend of mine let me sit in on his radio show last night, and we kicked it off with CHEETAHT7b. two hours later, he let me play a five-minute excerpt from AE_LIVE_DUBLIN -- the really dense part of the finale, like 65 minutes into the set. the radio show is supposed to be feel-good, indie-type stuff, so it was a good foil to their regular playlist. the AE_LIVE bit, which is a BEAST (texturally, sound pattern-wise), was met with utter silence
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2016, 08:17 PM   #223
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
http://anothertimbre.com/ffansion.html

best improv disc i've heard in a while... great performance, super-detailed, and it's a nice recording as well. shipping (to the US) is fairly cheap if you order direct from the label

btw, the Cheetah ep is a real beaut.. been playing it nonstop. autechre (elseq) is a whole other animal (Demogorgon?), they can't be compared. a friend of mine let me sit in on his radio show last night, and we kicked it off with CHEETAHT7b. two hours later, he let me play a five-minute excerpt from AE_LIVE_DUBLIN -- the really dense part of the finale, like 65 minutes into the set. the radio show is supposed to be feel-good, indie-type stuff, so it was a good foil to their regular playlist. the AE_LIVE bit, which is a BEAST (texturally, sound pattern-wise), was met with utter silence

Agreed. I really love CHEETAH and I really love elseq, but they're not of the same realm at all. At one time Autechre and Aphex Twin could be compared pretty easily, and the two acts would certainly have been considered peers, but what RDJ is doing right now is stretching his limbs and relaxing, getting comfy, busting out some classic, coily, serpentine house jams. Autechre is trying to rip a hole in the fabric of space time. So they're two altogether different conversations at this point in time.

Not a value judgment. I know what RDJ is capable of. He could be melting brains too, but he's taking her easy for the time being and that's ok.
Old 07.21.2016, 08:23 PM   #224
Severian
invito al cielo

I would REALLY appreciate it if DJ Koze would fucking release a real full length LP though. A proper follow-up to Amygdala, which has pretty much become my favorite electro-oriented album of this decade. That would make my fucking year. His remix chapters, his DJ Kicks entry and the PAMPA sampler have been so goddamn stellar on their own — best of their respective year-level records, all — that it's just a no brainer that his next album is going to be absolute fucking madness. I don't know why he isn't taking the time to make it a priority.
Old 07.29.2016, 12:23 AM   #225
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
In theory I want this massive Pink Floyd Early Years 65-72 (psych & experimental era) box set, but at $500+ it might as well be a million $. I've got a lot of good boots downloaded for free, some of which overlap this stuff:
https://www.google.com/amp/consequen...?client=safari
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2016, 06:52 AM   #226
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
In theory I want this massive Pink Floyd Early Years 65-72 (psych & experimental era) box set, but at $500+ it might as well be a million $. I've got a lot of good boots downloaded for free, some of which overlap this stuff:

$500?! What in the high hell? Who exactly is this fucking thing FOR? That enormous sub-strate of the record buying public that a.) buys physical releases b.) is obsessively completist, c.) cares unconditionally about a band that hasn't been cool in 3 decades, and d.) is bloody loaded? Wow! Maybe it will sell fourteen copies!

Oh, and for the voracious Floyd fans who aren't insane (or are insane but also poor, or simply not wealthy) there's a handy 2-disc version of this 27 (27) disc set for $15. Yeah... That should please everyone.

I feel your pain. Not that I have any interest in owning this, but if I squint really hard and pretend this is by a band I had an enduring passion for/interest in, I can empathize. And it only covers their first seven years? Out of a possible FIFTY? That means there may be as many as SEVEN of these things when all is said and done. That's 189 discs at a total of 3500 USD. I don't know a single hippie turned yuppie turned rich pop-culture obsessed grandfather who would actually make this purchase. Let alone any 18-35 year-olds.

And I thought the Heady Nuggs box was bad! You can get that shit for $75 if you look in the right place. Sure, I've seen the ENTIRE Heady Nuggs collection (all Lips LP's + 20 years after Clouds + some other shit I've lost track of, on signed colored vinyl) for around the $500 mark on eBay, but that's eBay. And it's signed. And colored! Still wouldn't buy it. Ever.

Man, fuck you Pink Floyd and/or the A&R assholes behind this absurd product. Fuck you in your face for creating such a tempting(ish, to some, I guess... maybe?) product and making it so inaccessible.

Also, it pisses me right the fuck off when "newly remixed" versions of albums are counted as "never before released" material for these kinds of things. It's one thing when Nirvana drops the Steve Albini In Utero, along with the original and a buttload of b-sides and rarities, and offered the bulk of it for $30, almost all of it for $50, and the whole damn 3xLP set with bonus footage for less than $100. Or when the VU releases four-disc versions of their four albums for $90 each. That's reasonable. I spent that bread yo! But this shit defies explanation.
Old 07.29.2016, 07:17 AM   #227
Severian
invito al cielo

Not that I haven't been a pretty lavish completist myself. I have all the Unwound box sets released by Numero group. I have several different CD and LP copies of numerous Sonic Youth albums. I have the deluxe Nirvana reissues, and the aforementioned VU 45th anniversary boxes. But I wouldnt pay this kind of money all at once for ... OK, I just remembered the Kanye West tickets I bought last month, so Ima go head and shut up now.

But before I do, I want to just say that if the Beatles anthology was enough to satisfy Beatles fans (BEATLES fans now... very different, because all of the music is classic, treasured by generations, etc.) then Pink Floyd should be able to get away with the same thing. A 3-part, mostly chronological anthology, spread out over 3 years, with six discs, a monster documentary, three massive colored liner notes, and one gargantuan hardbound book to tell the band's story from absolute beginning to bitter end.

The Beatles nailed it. Course this was '95, and things were different, but they saved us a lot of BS by only giving us what we'd never heard before. The end result was three compilations that played almost like albums, and sold a ton, for about $30 each.

When the time came to reissue the individual US and international albums on CD (and, later, on cd that looked like vinyl for some fucking reason) they did it one album at a time, so people like me didn't have to break the bank to get what we wanted.

Bottom line, if the Beatles could tell their story with three double albums and an accompanying film, Pink Floyd (who did not release a 15/18 album stream of perfection, and would be lucky if they could cull together 6 discs of great material from their most beloved albums) should be able to do the same.

Ps - I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, if ya couldn't tell. No offense. I'm actually offended on your behalf.
Old 07.29.2016, 11:17 AM   #228
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ps - I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, if ya couldn't tell. No offense. I'm actually offended on your behalf.

Agreed on all counts. To each his own. This early '65-'72 era is really the only part of their history I am enthusiastic about, could never get on board with Dark Side, Wish, Animals, Wall, etc... Kim even said some of their early psychedelic shows on youtube inspired Body/Head, I assume she was talking about something like this: https://youtu.be/KAoBLcxESZQ

Beatles Anthology was great, especially the third volume, I play that 3LP set as much or more than any other Beatles album. Aside from some very deep studio outtakes, the only obvious thing they haven't released is a compilation of all their original promo films, some of the first music videos, which they collaged together in the Anthology film.

I'm just happy to have the Washing Machine reissue and Spinhead LPs
Old 07.30.2016, 03:52 PM   #229
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I just want the stuff with Syd. That's the first three discs, right? If the 27 CDs cost $550 that's $27.37 per disc so I'd just have to pony up about $61.11 and I'd be down with that OH WAIT you have to buy the whole fucking thing no box à la carte.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2016, 08:14 PM   #230
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I just want the stuff with Syd. That's the first three discs, right? If the 27 CDs cost $550 that's $27.37 per disc so I'd just have to pony up about $61.11 and I'd be down with that OH WAIT you have to buy the whole fucking thing no box à la carte.

Supposedly later in the year they will be selling individual volumes a la carte...
Old 07.31.2016, 06:31 PM   #231
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Supposedly later in the year they will be selling individual volumes a la carte...

That would be nifty. NIFTY.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2016, 12:58 AM   #232
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
most anticipated: FRKWYS with kaitlyn aurelia smith and suzanne ciani (both play buchla modular synthesizers)

most loved so far:
christian fennesz & jim o'rourke - it's hard for me to say i'm sorry
tim hecker - love streams
qluster - echtzeit
kaitlyn aurelia smith - EARS
suzanne ciani - buchla concerts 1975
jan st werner - felder
matt carlson - the view from nowhere
aphex twin - cheetah ep
bracken - high passes
lolina - live in paris
tyondai braxton - oranged out ep
deakin - sleep cycle
pita - get in

honorable mention:
bat for lashes - the bride
julianna barwick - will
venetian snares- traditional synthesizer music
radiohead - a moon shaped pool (LOVE three tracks, meh on the rest)
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2016, 02:33 AM   #233
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
loved FIDLAR.. was it last year?

anticipating:
brody dalle's upcoming album..
the new pixies - released in november i think..
and dEUS is probably due with a new one soon..

i feel oldfashioned sometimes..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2016, 06:00 AM   #234
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
thinking that a new dead c record isn't going to be a monolith at this point is patently idiotic but trouble is another certifiable masterpiece, 5 slabs of the stuff only they can conjure.

recent stuff also of note:
wwwings - phoenixxx
valerio tricoli - clonic earth
m. geddes gengras - interior architecture
shackleton - devotional songs
elysia crampton - presents demon city
james ferraro - human story 3
terry - terry hq
abra - princess
maher shalal hash baz - hello new york
pan sonic - atomin paluu

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2016, 12:30 PM   #235
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
autechre elseqs continue to rule over everything else
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2016, 10:39 PM   #236
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
m. geddes gengras - interior architecture

ysssss. been digging this one myself. gengras is pretty hit and miss for me i love ishi, moog years, and new process music. haven't found anything else by him that i like.
Old 08.15.2016, 02:02 AM   #237
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
most anticipated: FRKWYS with kaitlyn aurelia smith and suzanne ciani (both play buchla modular synthesizers)

most loved so far:
christian fennesz & jim o'rourke - it's hard for me to say i'm sorry
tim hecker - love streams
qluster - echtzeit
kaitlyn aurelia smith - EARS
suzanne ciani - buchla concerts 1975
jan st werner - felder
matt carlson - the view from nowhere
aphex twin - cheetah ep
bracken - high passes
lolina - live in paris
tyondai braxton - oranged out ep
deakin - sleep cycle
pita - get in

honorable mention:
bat for lashes - the bride
julianna barwick - will
venetian snares- traditional synthesizer music
radiohead - a moon shaped pool (LOVE three tracks, meh on the rest)

some interesting stuff down here - thanks for the matt carlson recommendation - love the album!

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2016, 06:03 AM   #238
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
autechre elseqs continue to rule over everything else
pretty much this, don't even love all of it but you just can't even attempt to argue with this record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
ysssss. been digging this one myself. gengras is pretty hit and miss for me i love ishi, moog years, and new process music. haven't found anything else by him that i like.
yeah, it's a really great record, certainly his most advanced one yet. have always appreciated more than enjoyed his solo stuff but since test leads he's really hit a stride in his solo work (under his own name; personable does nothing for me). and it goes without saying that all his stuff with cameron stallones -- duppy gun, celebrate music synthesiser group, the frkwys record with the congos -- has been routinely great, as was the la vampires/pocahaunted/robedoor stuff. good to see him really progressing a long way beyond those pretty stringent limitations though.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2016, 10:27 AM   #239
Severian
invito al cielo

I keep forgetting about Love Streams. Whenever I think about the best records of the year, it just escapes me for some reason. But goddammit, that's a great fucking album.
Old 08.16.2016, 12:11 PM   #240
d.sound
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
sthanks for the matt carlson recommendation - love the album!
cool man, glad you enjoy. i love matt carlson and golden retriever, but i am not sure why i like this album. it is pretty challenging and atonal, but for some reason i find it very pleasant. it's certainly unique and that's usually what gets my attention. hard to believe i've been alive 34 years, heard all sorts of avant garde, microtonal, just intonation, experimental noise, etc etc, and still people are inventing new approaches and sounds i've never heard before. i am so thankful to be alive during this era of ubiquitous, free music with so many avenues of experimentation.
91011 12 131415 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth