Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim interview in The Guardian
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2013, 11:44 AM   #1
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
Kim Gordon: rocking 50s style

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013...50s-kim-gordon
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2013, 12:05 PM   #2
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Gordon separated from Moore in 2011, and Sonic Youth have drifted to a halt. "It's hard to say when the life of a band starts and stops… but playing music together is an act of trust. When that's broken, it's impossible to continue."
Wow.
It's nice to see an interview with her, but I wish they had focused on her new music a bit more.
---Edit---
I see it's in the fashion section now, so I guess that makes sense.
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2013, 04:03 PM   #3
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
"It's hard to say when the life of a band starts and stops… but playing music together is an act of trust. When that's broken, it's impossible to continue."

:/
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
"It's hard to say when the life of a band starts and stops… but playing music together is an act of trust. When that's broken, it's impossible to continue."

I'm really surprised at the dearth of comments resulting from this quote, but this is the most incriminating statement by any band member - by far - on the subject. Ouch. When there's big money involved (Coachella, Bonnaroo, ATP, etc) you can never say never, but Sonic Youth may have already played their last gig...
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2013, 03:48 PM   #5
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull

I'm really surprised at the dearth of comments resulting from this quote, but this is the most incriminating statement by any band member - by far - on the subject. Ouch. When there's big money involved (Coachella, Bonnaroo, ATP, etc) you can never say never, but Sonic Youth may have already played their last gig...

Well, it's a pretty decisive comment, but pretty much only serves to confirm the rumour that is already flying around the internet. So no huge revelation.
Old 02.19.2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Some hope??

http://www.npr.org/2013/02/17/172096...a-light-moving

It's tempting to view Chelsea Light Moving as a low-stakes act of liberation following the indefinite hiatus of Sonic Youth after 30 years — and, by extension, Moore's separation from longtime wife and bandmate Kim Gordon, though the two continue to work together musically. But Thurston Moore has always been free to pursue musical whims like the ones he chases here, whether that means making graceful solo albums like 2011's Demolished Thoughts or unleashing last fall's bonkers collaboration with Gordon and Yoko Ono.

Do you think this is an informed comment or do you think the author of this write-up believes the YOKOKIMTHURSTON collaboration happened AFTER their seperation?
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I cried a little, from my eyes and my snake eye....
Old 02.19.2013, 04:20 PM   #8
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Do you think this is an informed comment or do you think the author of this write-up believes the YOKOKIMTHURSTON collaboration happened AFTER their seperation?

I think that the author believes that Yokokimthurston was recorded after the separation. The way that it's written doesn't sound very "informed" to me. :/
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2013, 02:11 AM   #9
Aaaadrpk
bad moon rising

Aaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's asses
EDIT
about this, just wanna write:
Whatever, It's wonderful see Kim, Thurston, Lee and Steve doing their b'sides etc;. It's really great. (special Kim to me.)
Now this "stress" around & about S.Y. end or no end, sucks.

Aaaadrpk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2013, 08:16 AM   #10
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know if any of you guys follow Kim on Twitter but she says some quite sad things sometimes.

On that subject I saw Thurston with his new girlfriend in Brighton the other day, she is some young poetess who works at Cafe Oto in London. She always seems to be dressed in black. Normally, Thurston seems to be watching bands when he is at gigs (or the ones I have seen him at) but at this one he was just sat in the corner making out with her, the eternal teenager.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2013, 12:48 PM   #11
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
There's something to be said for, at some point in your life, growing the hell up. Oh well. Humans gonna human.

It's been in the back of my mind that SY are done, as far as being an entity that records new music and tours behind it. That statement by Kim was jarring, less for the content and more the fact she actually said it in an interview.
Old 02.20.2013, 02:00 PM   #12
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
There's something to be said for, at some point in your life, growing the hell up. Oh well. Humans gonna human.

It's been in the back of my mind that SY are done, as far as being an entity that records new music and tours behind it. That statement by Kim was jarring, less for the content and more the fact she actually said it in an interview.

You can't deny that you would like to know a bit more about why they've finished.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
It harshed my non-existent buzz that's for sure.
Old 02.21.2013, 12:07 PM   #14
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
You can't deny that you would like to know a bit more about why they've finished.

True but its not our business to know unless they make it known. However its becoming more plainly obvious now from these Thurston sightings and now this comment by Kim in that interview... it is now implying the obvious of the situation.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad_023

young poetess who works at Cafe Oto in London. She always seems to be dressed in black.
If only he was boning the worm lady, we could have at least hoped for major improvements in his attempts at poetry.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2013, 02:32 PM   #16
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
If only he was boning the worm lady, we could have at least hoped for major improvements in his attempts at poetry.

Miaow!

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2013, 02:47 PM   #17
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

SONIC YOUTH 4EVA!
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2013, 05:41 AM   #18
SonjaK
empty page

SonjaK has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
True but its not our business to know unless they make it known. However its becoming more plainly obvious now from these Thurston sightings and now this comment by Kim in that interview... it is now implying the obvious of the situation.

well, actually thurston told us everything even before the breakup: if you listen again (and carefully) to demolished thoughts it will appear evident. i realised this in november 2011... i wrote something on an italian forum at that time: i'd like to share, but i'd need a lot of time and effort for a good translation... if you want i can try...
SonjaK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Ha!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2013, 10:03 AM   #20
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v

I hate to even get into this discussion, since it is a private matter, but I feel the need to reply. What do the Thurston sightings imply? It's been a year and a half since he and Kim split.

As for Kim's comment, it implies cheating, but none of us know the whole story. I just don't see how anything in this situation can be obvious to us outsiders, based on what has been discussed in this thread.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth