Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page like father like son... how true is this statement?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.20.2009, 09:09 PM   #1
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
discuss.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2009, 09:12 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, my dad's a wife beating rapist who has supposedly fucked over 50 women, was convicted of attempted murder but the charges were dropped, and I haven't seen him, except at a few funerals, in 15 years because he got remarried and disowned me.

I'm gentle and nice.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
My son likes to hit his toy piano with his other toys, so yeah, there is something to it.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2009, 09:29 PM   #4
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
me and my dad both don't talk at all while we eat and whenever someone tries to talk to us, we both say "shut the fuck up"
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2009, 09:39 PM   #5
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
People say I look like my dad.

My dad is a mild-mannered lawyer.

I don't see myself like that.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2009, 10:01 PM   #6
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
I like my dad, but he sure is annoying, and not to mention embarrassing. I hope I'm not like him.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2009, 03:36 AM   #7
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I lose track of the number of times that I catch myself saying something and think "you sound just like your dad".
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2009, 04:38 AM   #8
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
interesting thread.
I could go on forever about this one but will keep it short.
Basically, I rejected my dad between age15 and my very early twenties because of the extremism of the feelings i had towards him. On the one hand i have always TOTALLY ADMIRED him because:
1) his father died when he was only 15 and he had to take care of his mother and his 4 little brothers by supporting them financially)
2) Then he is savvy in a deceptively long list of handy things like electricity, all sorts of mechanics, he could build a house by himself, he can drive a massive truck, sail a boat,... He always seemed OMNISCIENT in all domains.
3) he created his own company (he was an ambulanceman) from scratches and managed to become a very influent and well-known person with quite a lot of money in the 8O's/90's. It's all relative but he had money.
4) he is a very impressive physical father figure.

Now on the other hand i always felt like i was the perfect opposite of what he embodied:
1) I'm not technical, but "intellectual". He was good at maths and i'm good at all things having to do with human science, languages, etc..
2) the way he succeeded made me feel like i would never reach the point where he was. So i discarded working in a private environment and studied to become a teacher for a number of reasons.
3) Working 24hours a day and having to be available and reachable 7 days a week night and day (even while on holidays) made me feel sad for him cuz i thought to myself " You earn a shit load of money but can NEVER RELAX and leave work aside for say a couple of weeks, this is nasty; welcome heart attack". So i got a job with employment security as we say here (ie i can't get fired unless i do something nasty in class which i won't), i will never be rich BUT i earn my living pretty well and then i have 4 months holidays a year. Why all this money when you can never appreciate it by getting away from it all from time to time?
3bis) I always felt my father thought i was a good-for-nothing because he kept on comparing me to him , what he knew and what i didn't know. He would always reproach me for not knowing say how to fix a car engine BUT at the same time never showed me how to do it. How am i supposed to learn? And it's just ONE example. My best was never enough, in any domain.
4) There was a MASSIVE CLASH when i turned 20. I lost it for a good 6 months and went through a very nasty nervous breakdown: i lost all my friends one by one, and became estranged with all my relatives. One night my parents came over to my flat because my girlfriend called them to say she didn't know what he was going on as i was thrashing all things in the flat. That night was the worst of all; My father sat on the sofa and i remember quite well insulting him for a good half an hour in all possible ways, wanting to kill him at once, my girlfriend and mother were in the kitchen and i can remember hearing them crying. My father just sat there and LISTENED, not saying anything. His face distressed.
I was very high on drugs that night but bizarrely i remember this, i don't remember how that night ended though. I think i passed out.
The following year, i didn't see my parents at all and thought i would never see them again.
To cut it short, i spent a whole year travelling here and there, eating hardly anything, working wherever and whenever, sleeping in parks at some point, horrible shit.
i ended up at my grandmother's nearly a year after because i felt she was the only person who could put me up. I found a job nearby and eventually my aunt who lived nearby called my father to tell him i was there and arranged for us to meet at my parents' a few days later.

Which we did and we rebuilt everything VERY SLOWLY from there.
My dad was impressed as i had left a huge debt at my bank and came back a year later with enough cash money to fill that massive hole.
Then they had gotten this letter that said i had surprisingly mùanaged to graduate god knows how and i was entitled to go and teach in England for a year. I was supposed to be there THREE DAYS LATER.
So I went and that was a welcome break.

My life went on and i'm a happy responsible person today but what i learned is this:

Today I'm just like my father in a number of meaningful details and don't feel bad about it because i understood where he came from.
i think i was wise enough to keep what was good from him and left altogether the bullying part cuz i'm a very laidback person, although relatively stressed mofo.

My vision of him has changed. I remember being so impressed by him until not so long ago.
Being a father now, i very often look at him with sympathy or even empathy (ha ha)
He sees i don't actually need him anymore for anything, so he knows he has to be a nice person to me if he wants to keep an okay relationship with me and my son, so his grandson.
You know, he's a grandfather now.

Anyhow, i know you're going to say 'too long didn't read" but fuck it.
so to answer, "like father like son", not quite but life is surprising with hindsight, because i now embody a lot of things i used to reject, and i feel it's a very good thing.
Old 02.21.2009, 04:39 AM   #9
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
^i did NOT keep it short at all.
damn.
Old 02.21.2009, 04:57 AM   #10
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I like the idea that I resemble my father in some aspects but the thought that I resemble him in all aspects disturbs me. Gotta be your own self, right?

Evidently I would be a terrible clone.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2009, 05:41 AM   #11
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
"Biologically likely" is the correct answer.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2009, 07:04 AM   #12
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
i see this in my brothers, especially the youngest one is a lot like his (and my) father. they both love gadgets and fancy expensive things, and spend money the minute they get it. his three kids all have the same problems with maths and sometimes concentration. we all are good at languages, and got his bad back too.

i do see quite a lot of my mother in myself, but i am he complete opposite at the same time. we bth have the ability of keeping emotions or pain away somewhere and just going on with what we have to do, and when i'm on a trip with someone i'll always make sure there's good food around (when going to paris with a friend, i was the one getting up early and making lunchboxes for everyone). on the other hand: she is constantly cleaning, never taking the time to relax.. this is something i can easily do. her stuff is always neatly organized, my room is a gigantic chaos. she's really focused and i'm always doing multiple things at the same time.

sorry for talking about my mother, i'm not a son and i don't know my father that well.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2009, 07:08 AM   #13
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not anything like my dad AT ALL. Actually I take my personality from my mum and I have all her traits.

Now my sister, SHE's exactly like my dad. Weird.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2009, 09:24 AM   #14
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I would say this is true to an extent. My friends tell me that my dad is just an older version of myself- we're hardly ever serious and we're both enthusiasts of blues, folk and country music. I hope I don't have the same emotional cut-off as my dad does though. He treats everything like a joke so nobody wants to go to him for advice or consolation. He's 41 and has never come close to marriage.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2009, 10:40 AM   #15
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
its true.....
im a stubborn fucker
my son is too
my dad is too!

its true!!!

and we all support the tottenham!
Old 02.21.2009, 04:05 PM   #16
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
In my experience, most people's personalities are either the same as their father's or an inversion of it (presuming they grew-up with them).
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2009, 04:57 PM   #17
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Haven't seen my father in something like 3 years and a half I think, he does not know anything of my recent life, I do not know anything of his recent life. I think I do not have a lot in common with him.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
I think I'm a gentler, more sensitive, much more anxious, slightly more sociable, less conscientious, more disorganised, more creative version of my strong, intellectual, serious but humourous father.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 04:52 AM   #19
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
interesting thread.
I could go on forever about this one but will keep it short.
Basically, I rejected my dad between age15 and my very early twenties because of the extremism of the feelings i had towards him. On the one hand i have always TOTALLY ADMIRED him because:
1) his father died when he was only 15 and he had to take care of his mother and his 4 little brothers by supporting them financially)
2) Then he is savvy in a deceptively long list of handy things like electricity, all sorts of mechanics, he could build a house by himself, he can drive a massive truck, sail a boat,... He always seemed OMNISCIENT in all domains.
3) he created his own company (he was an ambulanceman) from scratches and managed to become a very influent and well-known person with quite a lot of money in the 8O's/90's. It's all relative but he had money.
4) he is a very impressive physical father figure.

Now on the other hand i always felt like i was the perfect opposite of what he embodied:
1) I'm not technical, but "intellectual". He was good at maths and i'm good at all things having to do with human science, languages, etc..
2) the way he succeeded made me feel like i would never reach the point where he was. So i discarded working in a private environment and studied to become a teacher for a number of reasons.
3) Working 24hours a day and having to be available and reachable 7 days a week night and day (even while on holidays) made me feel sad for him cuz i thought to myself " You earn a shit load of money but can NEVER RELAX and leave work aside for say a couple of weeks, this is nasty; welcome heart attack". So i got a job with employment security as we say here (ie i can't get fired unless i do something nasty in class which i won't), i will never be rich BUT i earn my living pretty well and then i have 4 months holidays a year. Why all this money when you can never appreciate it by getting away from it all from time to time?
3bis) I always felt my father thought i was a good-for-nothing because he kept on comparing me to him , what he knew and what i didn't know. He would always reproach me for not knowing say how to fix a car engine BUT at the same time never showed me how to do it. How am i supposed to learn? And it's just ONE example. My best was never enough, in any domain.
4) There was a MASSIVE CLASH when i turned 20. I lost it for a good 6 months and went through a very nasty nervous breakdown: i lost all my friends one by one, and became estranged with all my relatives. One night my parents came over to my flat because my girlfriend called them to say she didn't know what he was going on as i was thrashing all things in the flat. That night was the worst of all; My father sat on the sofa and i remember quite well insulting him for a good half an hour in all possible ways, wanting to kill him at once, my girlfriend and mother were in the kitchen and i can remember hearing them crying. My father just sat there and LISTENED, not saying anything. His face distressed.
I was very high on drugs that night but bizarrely i remember this, i don't remember how that night ended though. I think i passed out.
The following year, i didn't see my parents at all and thought i would never see them again.
To cut it short, i spent a whole year travelling here and there, eating hardly anything, working wherever and whenever, sleeping in parks at some point, horrible shit.
i ended up at my grandmother's nearly a year after because i felt she was the only person who could put me up. I found a job nearby and eventually my aunt who lived nearby called my father to tell him i was there and arranged for us to meet at my parents' a few days later.

Which we did and we rebuilt everything VERY SLOWLY from there.
My dad was impressed as i had left a huge debt at my bank and came back a year later with enough cash money to fill that massive hole.
Then they had gotten this letter that said i had surprisingly mùanaged to graduate god knows how and i was entitled to go and teach in England for a year. I was supposed to be there THREE DAYS LATER.
So I went and that was a welcome break.

My life went on and i'm a happy responsible person today but what i learned is this:

Today I'm just like my father in a number of meaningful details and don't feel bad about it because i understood where he came from.
i think i was wise enough to keep what was good from him and left altogether the bullying part cuz i'm a very laidback person, although relatively stressed mofo.

My vision of him has changed. I remember being so impressed by him until not so long ago.
Being a father now, i very often look at him with sympathy or even empathy (ha ha)
He sees i don't actually need him anymore for anything, so he knows he has to be a nice person to me if he wants to keep an okay relationship with me and my son, so his grandson.
You know, he's a grandfather now.

Anyhow, i know you're going to say 'too long didn't read" but fuck it.
so to answer, "like father like son", not quite but life is surprising with hindsight, because i now embody a lot of things i used to reject, and i feel it's a very good thing.

That was an interesting read.

I'm the very opposite of what my father was.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 07:50 AM   #20
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
My Dad's an argumentative, contradictory, obstreperous cunt. He's also a charming bastard. He's a little bit racist and a bit more homophobic.

We are, as the Jews say, condemned to repeat the sins of our fathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth