Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Paintings At Ks Art
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.29.2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Kim will have an exhibition of paintings at KS Art in Manhattan from March 8 to April 9. The show is called 'Come Across.' KS Art is at 73 Leonard st.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.29.2008, 04:29 PM   #2
HomelessArtist
little trouble girl

HomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard sucka
Those are brilliant! Silver/blue inks!
The weathering is interesting.
I like these alot

It's fun to juxtapose them in this post. The title of the show is a novel meaningfullness too.
HomelessArtist is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2008, 01:16 AM   #3
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Opening Reception:
Saturday March 8, 6 - 8 Pm
Old 03.06.2008, 04:35 AM   #4
l'voyeur
bad moon rising

l'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's asses
I'd wish see this exhibitions in South America...anyway,enjoy !...
l'voyeur is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2008, 04:36 AM   #5
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
perhaps i will attend the reception. perhaps not.
Old 03.08.2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Moshe
Super Moderator

The show is called 'Come Across.' Painted on translucent rice paper these ethereal images recall faces of audience members from the perspective of the performer. This exhibition also includes a sound piece that created in collaboration with Thurston.
Old 03.08.2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Moshe
Super Moderator

KS Art announces come across an exhibition of new abstract watercolors by Kim Gordon. Painted on translucent rice paper these ethereal images recall faces of audience members from the perspective of the performer. This exhibition also includes a sound piece that Gordon has created in collaboration with Thurston Moore.
“I’m interested in the relationship between performer and audience, and the unspoken power that a performer has. For example, you sometimes have more power if you’re vulnerable; there’s a certain amount of trust that the audience gives you and they want you to come across for them.”
“I thought about this kind of alternative perspective when I was doing a series of watercolors that depict audience members from the point of view of being on stage. I was trying to see how abstract I could make them and have them still look like faces. I used metallic inks to give the effect that I was turning the lightshow on the audience. I was trying to reverse the idea in my head that the audiences were the performers, and the performer is the audience”.—Kim Gordon
Kim Gordon, a founding member of Sonic Youth studied art at Otis Art Institute, Los Angeles and has been making visual art ever since. Recent exhibitions include Portraits #17-37, Iguapop Gallery, Barcelona (2007), Dead Already (with Jutta Koether), Reena Spaulings Fine Art, New York (2007), and Reverse Karaoke (with Jutta Koether) Her Noise, South London Gallery, London (2005). Gordon has published numerous artist books, and has contributed articles to Artforum, ZG, Real Life.
http://www.artcal.net/event/view/8/6601
Old 03.09.2008, 07:30 PM   #8
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
did not go to the opening. me and like 20 other people got shitfaced at my apartment and i forgot about it.
Old 03.09.2008, 07:41 PM   #9
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
should have logged in yesterday. would have been worth the venture in the rain!
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
I actually think those paintings are shit. I've seen better and more original paintings done by people still in school.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2008, 08:37 PM   #11
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

i'm inclined to agree, however i like that she has her own distinctive style.
Old 03.09.2008, 09:21 PM   #12
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Incline some more!
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2008, 10:30 PM   #13
tscaw
empty page

tscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's asses
I went to the opening. These paintings have a textural quality that could never be conveyed in two dimensions--I was not so impressed by the scanned images on the KS Art website, but the actual work was much better. Making judgments on visual art based on reproductions is always dangerous.

The gallery is small, and Kim had it set up like a living room environment. There is an old stereo set up on the floor at one end, playing a Mirror/Dash CD on infinite repeat, and two white shag throw rugs on the floor. A couple folks actually sat down on the rugs before the place got packed. The paintings are small--8.5x11, mostly--and the metallic paint lends them all a glittery sheen. The rice paper is curled and undulating with the weight of the paint. Some of the "portraits" are so abstract it is difficult to make out a head or a face in the blotches. The Mirror/Dash CD was for sale with a booklet--only 100 copies--that reprints several of the paintings, and the CD has a single 5:12 untitled track that sounds like a VU bootleg of "Lady Godiva's Operation" playing at half speed.

I saw Bob Bert and Richard Kern there when I arrived. Thurston was there, of course, and after a while Lee and Leah and their kids showed up. I didn't see Steve, but I realized that with Bob Bert present there was at least one SY incarnation present in the gallery at one point. Mark Ibold was there as well, of course. He is always there.
tscaw is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2008, 12:00 PM   #14
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Made the effort to stop by saturday, last weekend, and glad I did. I've seen several of Kim's shows and I like this one the best, it seems more fully realized, the other were collabs and more space-oriented. You've seen the pictures online, but there is a certain fuzziness that doesn't come through I saw standing in front of them. And the fuzziness kind of messed with my head. She does an interesting layering to the colors.

I have to note the gentleman at the gallery was very friendly and pleased I had stopped by. Usually these art people are so standoffish. He put on the mirror/dash tune as I entered the space. There was a little color xerox booklet available for sale with the CDr, but I bought the gallery book from her show in Portugal which showed a number of paintings from the same series in color. i've got a couple extra of the promo cards if anyone wants one.

Show ends this week and I'd recommend everyone scream down there tomorrow before the NNCK show.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2008, 05:19 PM   #15
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for review tscaw and tesla69

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 01:39 AM   #16
clever name
bad moon rising

clever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's asses
I checked out the show last Saturday. I too was astounded to find a friendly young woman working at KS Art who, unlike the people behind the desks at the Chelsea Galleries, was not too cool for her own life.

The paintings were well worth the trip. If you can indulge a moment of over-analysis, read on. I had this great "eureka" moment when I noticed that Ms. Gordon's signatures were "backwards" at the bottom of each piece, really they had been signed on the reverse side of the rice paper and the paintings were hung backwards (kinda). The show is called "come across" and it deals with the slippage and potential reversal that occurs between the two sides of a performance: performer and audience. Likewise, these pieces of rice paper were painted on both sides, with the colors bleeding through (coming across) to the other side of the paper. The image exists in between the two sides of the rice paper. Scoff all you like but it made sense to me.

On a less delusional level: great palette, strong tension between dedication to craft and complete disregard for profession, and genuine effort to capture humanity within the portrait tradition. Just like her songs (Reena, Tunic, Sympathy for the Strawberry, Heather Angel, and on and on). There's even a soundtrack by Kim and Thurston! Wicked awesome.
clever name is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 02:36 PM   #17
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i do actually like kims paintings quite a bit.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth