Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.27.2017, 10:24 AM   #21921
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Shall we post our favorite movies of 2017? I'm curious how diverse they would be. Post a top 5 if you have them. Thinking movies that were released in 2017, more than a movie from the past that you saw for the first time this year. Just to clarify.

Hmm... well, I’m still making my way through the award show contenders, but here’s what I have so far:

1. BLADE MOTHERFUCKING RUNNER 2049 HOLY SHIT
2. Dunkirk (possibly even more “holy shit” than Blade Runner, but in a much more chaotic way. Both movies are just extremely intense. But Dunkirk is a starless, almost faceless skinny dip into hell on earth, and if anyone’s ever doubted Christopher Nolan’s quality as a filmmaker, watch that shit and shut the fuck up FOREVER)
3. The Big Sick (this was heartbreaking and hilarious and Holly Hunter deserves a Best Supporting nod for fucking SURE)
4. Wonder Woman (What? It was fun and awesome and I’m in love with Gal Gadot)
5. Get Out (again, not as good as some people say, but very good and very smart)

I still have to see the Shape of Water, Last Jedi, the one about the hotel, Ladybird, etc. So this is a little premature, but there’s almost no way anything is going to top Blade Runner 2049, and I think Dunkirk deserves the best picture Oscar on a goddamn platter.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2017, 01:49 PM   #21922
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Oh yes yes blade runner lol

Forgot. But said already plenty about it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2017, 07:27 PM   #21923
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
Oh yes yes blade runner lol

Forgot. But said already plenty about it.

Have you seen Dunkirk yet? I think it’s the best movie-movie Nolan’s ever done... in that it’s not grounded by crazy effects or one incredible performance or even an ensemble working together really well... or even really any kind of narrative. It’s trult worthy of the hype because it’s the most in-Hollywood Hollywood blockbuster I’ve seen in years. The characters are barely there... it’s just these vignettes of terror and tension and violence and it has one kind of glorious Hollywood moment, but even that doesn’t last, or “land” in a Hollywood way.

It should win best picture. I think you’d agree.

Don’t watch it with any 65-year-old relatives with PTSD though. (Seriously)

Movie should have a trigger warning at the beginning.
Old 12.27.2017, 08:10 PM   #21924
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i dont care about wins like i dont care about the rocknroll hall of fame so it’s a pointless point for me what the shit is considered “best” outside of the technical awards— stuff like editing and sound editing and so forth is usually well earned. but you gotta get into that geekdom and nobody who wins it is a celebrity.

but yeah i wanna see it now that it’s out on bluray.

i’ll have to wait though, cuz i’m moving this spring and have to change utilities etc. wheeeeeeee! im ready!!
Old 12.27.2017, 10:15 PM   #21925
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
i dont care about wins like i dont care about the rocknroll hall of fame so it’s a pointless point for me what the shit is considered “best” outside of the technical awards— stuff like editing and sound editing and so forth is usually well earned. but you gotta get into that geekdom and nobody who wins it is a celebrity.

but yeah i wanna see it now that it’s out on bluray.

i’ll have to wait though, cuz i’m moving this spring and have to change utilities etc. wheeeeeeee! im ready!!

Moving? Eh?

Yeah, it’s a great one for technical stuff. Zero non-practical effects. And sound engineering that’s truly experimental and awesome.

We’ve talked about Nolan a bunch, so let me know when you see it. I’m really curious. I feel like it might be one of the best and “truest” war movies I’ve ever seen.
Old 12.27.2017, 10:50 PM   #21926
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah i’ve been in limbo for a while. most i look forward is having modern non-capped internet and being to watch fútbol again. the world cup!!! YESSS.

i’ll be resuming my bluray rentals of course. especially in the summer. wait, world cup is in the summer.

oh, i’ll figure it out.

anyway i plan to watch it but don’t start badgering me to do it cuz IT AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN.

oh! unless i find it in a redbox maybe. do they still have redbox? hmmmm... i’d pay to see that, actually.

i’ll investigate.

—-

ETA: OOOH YEAH IT’S ON REDBOX!! buck fitty. i’ll schedule for my next town visit.
Old 12.28.2017, 09:06 AM   #21927
johnmarl
empty page

johnmarl has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I watched Dark Knight Rises yesterday. Much wow!
johnmarl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2017, 10:13 AM   #21928
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah i’ve been in limbo for a while. most i look forward is having modern non-capped internet and being to watch fútbol again. the world cup!!! YESSS.

i’ll be resuming my bluray rentals of course. especially in the summer. wait, world cup is in the summer.

oh, i’ll figure it out.

anyway i plan to watch it but don’t start badgering me to do it cuz IT AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN.

oh! unless i find it in a redbox maybe. do they still have redbox? hmmmm... i’d pay to see that, actually.

i’ll investigate.

—-

ETA: OOOH YEAH IT’S ON REDBOX!! buck fitty. i’ll schedule for my next town visit.

Yes, they do have it at Redbox and glad you found that out.

*badger badger*

Let me know what you think when you get around to it. *badger*
Old 12.28.2017, 10:15 AM   #21929
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarl
I watched Dark Knight Rises yesterday. Much wow!

This is a highly suspicious first post. Are you an existing user trolling me and my shameless Nolan-Batfancy? Because I’m shameless about it. So... yeah.

If not, welcome!

(cockeyed stare)
Old 12.28.2017, 10:50 AM   #21930
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yes, they do have it at Redbox and glad you found that out.

*badger badger*

Let me know what you think when you get around to it. *badger*
sure.

thing is i normally descend upon the town once a week but this would force two consecutive dates, being redbox. maybe a day in between but no longer because i don’t want to owe purchase prices on a rental.

still doable, but i’d have to justify the trip with more than just getting the movie.

car maintenance is always a good reason... i might rotate/balance tires & pick up some parts. then do a library/liquor run. then...

hmm....

yeah....
Old 12.28.2017, 01:01 PM   #21931
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
sure.

thing is i normally descend upon the town once a week but this would force two consecutive dates, being redbox. maybe a day in between but no longer because i don’t want to owe purchase prices on a rental.

still doable, but i’d have to justify the trip with more than just getting the movie.

car maintenance is always a good reason... i might rotate/balance tires & pick up some parts. then do a library/liquor run. then...

hmm....

yeah....

Hmm. Thinking about geography, I think there’s a chance you may live closer to my mother’s property than I previously thought. Oh well, talk for another time.

Yeah, whatever works man. It’s not urgent. Just relevant to our previous discussions about Xtopher Nolan (don’t know why I just typed xtopher but I’m leaving it), because while it’s nowhere near my *favorite* of his films, I think it might be objectively his best; perhaps even bumping him up into a new league.

Now, whether that league is Kubrick (yay!) or Spielberg (sometimes yay! More recently nay!) or Ridley Scott (please god no, don’t let him become the “formerly brilliant” British epic-maker of choice for Hollywood skeeze!!), all that remains to be seen, I suppose.

ETA: If it was Blade Runner 2049 that you had not yet seen, rest assured I would be badgering the living fuck out of you, good sir.
Old 12.28.2017, 01:04 PM   #21932
Severian
invito al cielo

also I think you’re right that 2049 is better than the original. That means it’s a member of a VERY small club (Godfather, Star Trek and Wars, Dark Knight, MAYBE Home Alone 2: Lost in New York?), but goddamit, that movie made the original look rather dull. Something not even time itself has been able to do for this fanboy.
Old 12.28.2017, 01:24 PM   #21933
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Last night I watched Seoul Searching. A nice little surprise, with a lot of nods to 80's John Hughes movies and even more surprising very reminiscent of Valley Girl.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2017, 05:55 PM   #21934
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

guardians of the galaxy [eta; vol 2]

has a bunch of decent humor but god damn doest every thing has to be on the nose with the sentimental shit, adn then the credits take 10,000 hours to run with clips after clip after clip

i’m even sick and tired of the stan lee appearances

but if you cut about 45 minutes of excessing emoting from the movie it would be pretty great trashy entertainment.
Old 12.28.2017, 06:59 PM   #21935
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
guardians of the galaxy

has a bunch of decent humor but god damn doest every thing has to be on the nose with the sentimental shit, adn then the credits take 10,000 hours to run with clips after clip after clip

i’m even sick and tired of the stan lee appearances

but if you cut about 45 minutes of excessing emoting from the movie it would be pretty great trashy entertainment.

Wait, are you talking about the second one? Vol. 2? You must be. I don’t recall much sentiment or whatever in the first. Just good Firefly-on-acid-meets-Star Wars-also-on-acid times.

The second one had a pretty paper-thin plot, and everything was a hair worse than it was the first time around. They also fucked with the source material big time for a reason I truly can’t determine, and basically said “Fuck you, comics!” in a way Marvel Studios rarely does. I mean, sure, they made Baron Zemo a grieving family man with a thirst for revenge (and a SURPRISINGLY high aptitude for subtle global geo-political subterfuge... especially for a soccer dad) instead of, well... this...

... but they don’t usually change the hard and fast storylines they’re mining from as extremely as they did in GOTG 2.

Whatever, it was fun. I liked it. Cool colors n’ stuff. But all in all kind of a disappointment after the first one.
Old 12.28.2017, 08:54 PM   #21936
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh yeah vol 2 i forgot to type or something— all of my spelling and typing is fucked in that post.

i don’t give a shit about the source material which i’ll never know, just the movie itself as a movie

i don’t remember a baron zemo. maybe i didn’t notice.

the funny parts were funny! lots of humor.

the sentimental parts were uffffff spelled out for the morons and repeated over & over and hammered over everyone’s heads until they bled.

i guess they’re trying to get through to the deepest morons, or squeeze tears as violent as laughs, or give people their money’s worth or something, but seriously a tighter edit would have been tons of fun regardless of how they came up with this shit. make it a double feature instead of a long drag.

the opening credit sequence with the music and all the crazy camera action was particularly fun to watch. and zoe zoe zoe even greenfaced she’s so hot. and the jokes were good! the sentimental stuff was poorly done though. poorly poorly poorly. but poorly.

anyway enough of that nonsense lol. but yeah the action as action was really good i thought. visually.

now on a break from watching FOOD INC. heavy shit, some of that.
Old 12.29.2017, 10:44 AM   #21937
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
oh yeah vol 2 i forgot to type or something— all of my spelling and typing is fucked in that post.

i don’t give a shit about the source material which i’ll never know, just the movie itself as a movie

i don’t remember a baron zemo. maybe i didn’t notice.

He was the bad guy in Captain America: Civil War. The one who orchestrated all the nonsense and superhero beefs. In the comics, he’s a straight up violent pedigreed mad scientist Nazi motherfucker with a big purple blanket over a horribly scarred face, and in the movie he was a father who lost his kids in Avengers 2, and decided to seek revenge by... whispering in people’s ears n stuff.

Quote:
the funny parts were funny! lots of humor.

the sentimental parts were uffffff spelled out for the morons and repeated over & over and hammered over everyone’s heads until they bled.

i guess they’re trying to get through to the deepest morons, or squeeze tears as violent as laughs, or give people their money’s worth or something, but seriously a tighter edit would have been tons of fun regardless of how they came up with this shit. make it a double feature instead of a long drag.

the opening credit sequence with the music and all the crazy camera action was particularly fun to watch. and zoe zoe zoe even greenfaced she’s so hot. and the jokes were good! the sentimental stuff was poorly done though. poorly poorly poorly. but poorly.

anyway enough of that nonsense lol. but yeah the action as action was really good i thought. visually.

Pretty much agree all around. I really dig that opening scene. That was cool. But there were like SIX post-credit scenes, and WHAAAAAAATTHEFUCK THATS TOO MANY!
Old 12.29.2017, 11:15 AM   #21938
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah that zemo nazi wasn’t ther on vol 2

vol 2 is:

****SPOILERZZZEZZ****

first they’re doing some shit for some golden blondes but the rat steals stuff and they have to run away. then kurt russell shows up as ego (obvious name is obvious), the long lost dad who is really a whole planet who can manipulate matter and decided to reproduce and sure enuff impregnated the guy’s earth mama and reunited— they even play catch! who the fuck plays catch anymore? what a stupid fucking trope. but anyway. “catch”. like, everyone has to play it or they’re not a dad or something. gahhh, america. but anyway. it continues from there with more sappy nonsense. including zoe’s less-hot sister who “just wanned 2be a sisterr booohooo”. bad daddys everywhere. but the blue guy with the arrow will yank your tears hard! and his friends! it’s aaaaall about family after all. every character and thing is twisted to shit to fit that theme. yukkalicious.

no baron nothing. i haven’t seen capn’ ‘murka either so that is not in my radar.
Old 12.29.2017, 11:23 PM   #21939
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah that zemo nazi wasn’t ther on vol 2

no baron nothing. i haven’t seen capn’ ‘murka either so that is not in my radar.

Yeah, Zemo is from Captain America: Civil War. But they did something even weirder with Quill’s father. Messed with the comics. But whatever.

I HIGHLY recommend watching Captain America: the Winter Soldier if you haven’t. At the VERY least. It’s “superhero” movier than my beloved Dark Knight, but it’s simolar in some ways. And it has some SERIOUSLY kick-ass fight scenes that are legit well-crafted. Little CGI... practical effects. It’s a good movie. My favorite of the Marvel flicks. PUNCH PUNCH JUMP *THWOOONG* SO SATIFSYING
Old 12.30.2017, 09:42 AM   #21940
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i saw that thing. i remember nothing of it except from scarlett. i’ll watch anything with scarlett in it. otherwise captain america is dullness. oh, except for that “electricity” joke in avengers. ha ha ha ha. that was a good joke.

this talk of scarlett reminds me that ghost in the shell has been out some time now. seen the trailer. looks real, lol. but yeah i gotta get that.
59799710471087109410951096 1097 109810991100110711471197 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth