Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Let's massacre a band vol.1- The Melvins
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2010, 06:18 PM   #61
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 02.16.2010, 06:21 PM   #62
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley

Maybe Melvins are an indie kid-approved metal band but that's getting into audience-criticism. I don't buy that is the only reason people would listen to the Melvins, besides which the Melvins were around before the indie kid meme-set. Is wanting the metal hold the shredding so terrible? Or is wanting Metallica's core sound without that shredding and other affiliated metal tropes so shamefully indie?

The thing with music is that there is a vernacular of musicology. The problem with rock is that pretty much anything like the Melvins is a very short conversation. Blues, slower, sometimes fewer intervals, long. That's it. Talking about the audience gets to the genuine subtleties in the music (timbre, tone, production etc) much quicker than describing what valves they use on their amps. It's usually easier to use oblique, inexact euphemisms than it is to treat music like a lab-case.

I'm telling you this like you're a fucking idiot, rather than playing the fucking idiot.

The 'indie kid meme-set' [incidentally, that's a grotesque phrase] is a paradigm that predates any exact chronology. Again, inexact language.

Regardless of all this, the Melvins remain shit. Although there was one track I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 06:30 PM   #63
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I don't have a problem with The Melvins' alleged approximation of metal as such, since metal has a mutant nature that is one of the most absorbent compared to other variants of rock music. I did get a sense that a portion of the crowd at their gigs might as well been attending any other band called The Melvins, though, but that's just another personal impression.
I am with demonrail on this, the tone on their guitar is there in sound, yet there is a distinct lack of licks, or touches, for wanting of a better word, that would make their music that little less motionless, or dead end, like somebody already pointed out, and more spirited-sounding. What I'm probably trying to say is that they don't seem to understand that pacing down the playing shouldn't mean that you have to let it die a boring death, you could just give it a sense of occasion that their records lack completely.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 06:32 PM   #64
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
They're no Maiden. And in not being Maiden, they're no Priest either. They're barely Man-O-War.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.16.2010, 06:32 PM   #65
Glice
invito al cielo

They're Whitesnake for the Volvo generation.

Quote:
Old 02.16.2010, 06:41 PM   #66
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
A few years ago I was listening to a punk compilation, and there was a Melvins track on it. I started listening to it, thought "this sounds like Metallica" and skipped to the next track.
Around a month ago I decided to buy a Melvins album because I like bands like Boris and Metallica now. I decided on Stoner Witch. Half way through listening I turned it off. I know Melvins fans will say I didn't give them a proper chance or I need to listen to more, but I just don't want to.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 06:44 PM   #67
Seandi
stalker

Seandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's asses
Acid King is better.
Seandi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 06:45 PM   #68
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
They're Whitesnake for the Volvo generation.

Dont you mean the Polvo generation

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 06:49 PM   #69
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
A few years ago I was listening to a punk compilation, and there was a Melvins track on it. I started listening to it, thought "this sounds like Metallica" and skipped to the next track.
Around a month ago I decided to buy a Melvins album because I like bands like Boris and Metallica now. I decided on Stoner Witch. Half way through listening I turned it off. I know Melvins fans will say I didn't give them a proper chance or I need to listen to more, but I just don't want to.

They're Stoner/Doom's MC5: a great idea on paper but boring as fuck on record (admittedly I've not seen them live).
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 06:49 PM   #70
Seandi
stalker

Seandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's asses
Blue Cheer were better, too.
Seandi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 06:51 PM   #71
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandi
Blue Cheer were better, too.

Speaking of bands with massively inflated reputations.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 07:09 PM   #72
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
i respect the melvins a ton and really like probably five of their albums, but god, when they aren't good, they suck ass. just a lot of really dull half-assed ideas all around. give me flipper, godflesh, swans, electric wizard, boris, neurosis, etc. over these clowns* any day.

*jk buzzo, i still love you. i'm only doing it for the sake of this thread. :7(

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 07:14 PM   #73
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I love the Melvins. Just enjoyable to listen to in my ears.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 07:15 PM   #74
Crumb's Crunchy Delights
expwy. to yr skull

Crumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I love the Melvins. Just enjoyable to listen to in my ears.
i enjoy eating eggy toast in my mouth

Crumb's Crunchy Delights is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 07:18 PM   #75
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Dont you mean the Polvo generation
Polvo should make a volume 2 for sure. Any volunteers out there?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 07:27 PM   #76
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
They're alright. Some songs are pretty damn good, others make me yawn.

I saw them live. The show was sold out, we didn't have tickets...but were let in right before they played. They had 2 drummers for the gig, which was really cool; and their stage presence was commanding.

My favorites are Stoner Witch, Ozma and Houdini.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 07:45 PM   #77
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
The thing with music is that there is a vernacular of musicology. The problem with rock is that pretty much anything like the Melvins is a very short conversation. Blues, slower, sometimes fewer intervals, long. That's it. Talking about the audience gets to the genuine subtleties in the music (timbre, tone, production etc) much quicker than describing what valves they use on their amps. It's usually easier to use oblique, inexact euphemisms than it is to treat music like a lab-case.

I'm telling you this like you're a fucking idiot, rather than playing the fucking idiot.
Well, yes, but if you want to distinguish Metallica from Melvins, you're going to need be a bit more exact than the audience as, in this case, "indie kid" is obscure to the point of phantasmic. This is why I used that grotesque phrase which, in the way I am thinking of it, puts the audience in a post-2000 confluence of transmutable ethics and aesthetics. To extend it before then would require a terminal dose of retrospective plying and Melvins certainly predate it. Are there genuine, subtle differences between Metalllica and Melvins that make the latter any less legitimate? I just get the sense that this typically spins out of relevance to be saying that indie kids are shittier than metal kids so the Melvins are shittier than Metallica, all while pointing at unsubstantiated continuity of subtleties. I don't think there is any saving grace evidence there within the subtleties to provide a narrative of music quality that makes Melvins necessarily shit. It begins with first impressions.

I'm sorry, I'm taking this too far. I just haven't thought about the Melvins, or even the quality of any music, in such a long time that I'm reopening my own reservations. I'm thinking of deleting this post. The Melvins are just a band.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 08:07 PM   #78
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Polvo should make a volume 2 for sure. Any volunteers out there?

their latest album was quite numetal-y in places, truth be told. Theyre ahead of us all.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 08:08 PM   #79
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well, yes, but if you want to distinguish Metallica from Melvins, you're going to need be a bit more exact than the audience as, in this case, "indie kid" is obscure to the point of phantasmic. This is why I used that grotesque phrase which, in the way I am thinking of it, puts the audience in a post-2000 confluence of transmutable ethics and aesthetics. To extend it before then would require a terminal dose of retrospective plying and Melvins certainly predate it. Are there genuine, subtle differences between Metalllica and Melvins that make the latter any less legitimate? I just get the sense that this typically spins out of relevance to be saying that indie kids are shittier than metal kids so the Melvins are shittier than Metallica, all while pointing at unsubstantiated continuity of subtleties. I don't think there is any saving grave evidence there within the subtleties to provide a narrative of music quality that makes Melvins necessarily shit. It begins with first impressions.

I'm sorry, I'm taking this too far. I just haven't thought about the Melvins, or even the quality of any music, in such a long time that I'm reopening my own reservations. I'm thinking of deleting this post. The Melvins are just a band.

Well, this is the thing - either you understand what I said or you don't; the meaning is pretty self-evident - of course there's a presumed value-judgement within the context of what I said. This isn't absolute, but it isn't therefore obscure. I don't believe you don't understand what I said, and what I was getting at. I also don't think you're thinking I was making an empirical statement. I think you're well aware that I was describing why I don't like the Melvins. I'm sure you're aware this doesn't matter one jot in the great manner of things. You can complicate matters all you like (and you do seem to like it) but this isn't a thread for an analysis of the suppressed premises of blithe internet statements on bands; neither is it the thread to disentangle the horizon-point of semiotic saturation within the given context. It could be, but you're going to have to re-word your questions better in order to make it so, otherwise you're just being a prick. Obviously, in kind, I'm being a cunt.

Quote:
Old 02.16.2010, 08:15 PM   #80
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
a lady once told me that her husband "has been friends with the Melvins for years"

I was unimpressed.

ps: our King Buzzo always stated that he HATED the Melvins. the gremlin changed his name, I'm sure.

Quote:
Well, yes, but if you want to distinguish Metallica from Melvins, you're going to need be a bit more exact than the audience as, in this case, "indie kid" is obscure to the point of phantasmic. This is why I used that grotesque phrase which, in the way I am thinking of it, puts the audience in a post-2000 confluence of transmutable ethics and aesthetics. To extend it before then would require a terminal dose of retrospective plying and Melvins certainly predate it. Are there genuine, subtle differences between Metalllica and Melvins that make the latter any less legitimate? I just get the sense that this typically spins out of relevance to be saying that indie kids are shittier than metal kids so the Melvins are shittier than Metallica, all while pointing at unsubstantiated continuity of subtleties. I don't think there is any saving grave evidence there within the subtleties to provide a narrative of music quality that makes Melvins necessarily shit. It begins with first impressions.

why would you do such a thing? have you started breathing yet??
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth