Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Out of Print, Limited Edition and Generally Rare Books..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.13.2009, 04:31 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck!

Why are all the books I am looking for either out-of-print or prohibitively expensive? Damned my fascination with Ethiopian history...

and the ones I want that are new are equally expensive!

African Zion: The Sacred Art of Ethiopia by Marilyn Heldman, Stuart C. Munro-Hay, and Roderick Grierson (Hardcover - Dec 1993)
6 Used & new from $312.73

(1)

Other Editions: Paperback

Aksum: An African Civilization of Late Antiquity by Stuart Munro-Hay (Paperback - Sep 1992)
1 Used & new from $415.31

(1)

Other Editions: Hardcover

The Coinage of Ethiopia, Eritrea and Italian Somalia by Dennis Gill (Hardcover - Nov 1991)
1 Used & new from $250.00

The Archaeology of Ethiopia by Niall Finneran (Hardcover - Dec 20, 2007)
Buy new: $110.00
18 Used & new from $95.09
Get it by Monday, Mar 16 if you order in the next 21 hours and choose one-day shipping.
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
Other Editions: Paperback

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 04:39 PM   #2
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't know Ethiopia had an history (before it was colonized).
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 04:45 PM   #3
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses

SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
history books are usually prined just once, and then if you want it you need to hit a library

have you tried ALIBRIS for used books?

Abe Books has the sacred art of ehtiopia one from $69
Old 03.13.2009, 05:36 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'm looking for total abuse by peter sotos..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 05:43 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
history books are usually prined just once, and then if you want it you need to hit a library

have you tried ALIBRIS for used books?

Abe Books has the sacred art of ehtiopia one from $69

the damned library is my whole problem. I had access to all these great books, and now that I am not a student anymore, I have lost my privileges.. in my search to purchase many of the fantastic books I have read over the past few years, I have come to discover they are very very expensive if even available at all..

Archaeology at Aksum, Ethiopia, 1993-7

more books like this
by David W Phillipson

$463.30
(new hardcover, see detail)

add to wishlist

This two-volume work provides a detailed account of five seasons' archaeological research at Aksum, which Dr Phillipson directed on behalf of the British Institute in Eastern Africa, supported by a major research grant from the Society of Antiquaries. Aksum was, during the first seven centuries AD, the capital of a major state, centred on the ...
see all copies from $463.30!
new only from $463.30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
I didn't know Ethiopia had an history (before it was colonized).

Ethiopia was never colonized

there are rural Ethiopians who to this day have never even heard of white people, are not even aware that such people exist, and frankly do not even know that they live in Ethiopia or a continent called Africa, or that there are even other black people.

as an intersting side note, on a PBS show called Africa Trek a french couple walked from Cape Town to Cairo over a period of two years..

they had a wonderful time sleeping in people's homes, were generally welcomed across africa with open arms, as they were on foot, and not in tourist 4X4 so the Africans felt more at ease and could better relate, but when they came into the Omo River valley in Southern Ethiopia and the Kenyan border, they suddenly found themselves in some shit.

In the Omo River valley are some people like I described above. Now these did not give the french couple a hard time, in fact, it was a rather curious bit of cultural exchange. The Omo a "primitive" even by rural African standards..

As the couple ventured further north in Ethiopia, they discovered what is called the "Ferenj Craze" as literally hundreds of kids swarmed them and followed them along the road, barking insults and even throwing small stones.. they were actually frightened and taken aback, as they had no such experiences in Africa even in Zimbabwe, but Ethiopia is radically different. In the other countries they passed through, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Kenya, all were colonized, and in these countries africans got used to white people being around, and even being in charge. So they are accustomed to seeing and respecting white people, even today..

where as in Ethiopia, which was never colonized, the rural youth who seldom see any white people at all are rather emboldened by their lack of historic interaction and experience, and tend to push the envelope, with this now infamous ferenj craze. It is less common in the cities, as white people have become more common place there, but in the countryside it can be quite the obstacle, as Ethiopian youth express their fierce independent spirit. Essentially the ferenj craze is Ethiopians telling white people to fuck off, and remember that Ethiopia has always been and will always be free..

Old 03.13.2009, 06:35 PM   #7
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Ethiopia has been invaded by Italy, some teacher told me that, and wikipedia says it too.
Invade/colonize, the difference is thin.
(but italians stayed only 5 years, is that the big difference?)

So Ethiopians hate white people??
Especially the french?
Old 03.13.2009, 07:04 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ethiopia has been invaded by Italy, some teacher told me that, and wikipedia says it too.
Invade/colonize, the difference is thin.
(but italians stayed only 5 years, is that the big difference?)

So Ethiopians hate white people??
Especially the french?

colonize= establish a colonial administration or government
invade= attempt to establish a colonial administration

The Italians invaded in October 1935, but they never established control outside of Addis Ababa, and even in that small capital city there was much anarchy. The Italians never controlled Ethiopia, in fact they were constantly besieged in their little fortifications, and the war effort in Ethiopia bankrupted Italy and contributed significantly to Italy's subsequent defeat in WWII. As far as European colonialism in Africa goes, Italy never succeeded in colonizing Ethiopia, they only managed to control Eritrea (as they had since 1896) . They were perpetually on the defensive..

No Ethiopians do not hate white people, but in the countryside they have few opportunities to mingle and so white people are a sort of curiosity if they come across you on foot. Just like all people, some Ethiopian kids are assholes, and they take advantage of the opportunity.

Ethiopians call all white people 'ferenj' because the Franks were the first white people to enter Ethiopia during the Crusades. The term has stuck for all white folk.

Old 03.13.2009, 07:28 PM   #9
gualbert
the end of the ugly

Alright.
But do Ethiopians have a History?
I mean, stories written by people who were alive and/or involved when they occured?
Otherwise, that's archaeology rather than history (not that any of them is necessarily right or wrong-true or false).
Old 03.13.2009, 11:33 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Alright.
But do Ethiopians have a History?
I mean, stories written by people who were alive and/or involved when they occured?
Otherwise, that's archaeology rather than history (not that any of them is necessarily right or wrong-true or false).
Imperial Ethiopia.org/history

the first sentence of the Wiki entry sums it up rather concisely saying, "Ethiopia is the oldest independent country in Africa, with one of the longest recorded histories in the world."

Ethiopia pops up in written history and archeological records from Europe to China, as far back as 1500 BC. They were a major world power allied with Rome from 200BC-700AD, and controlled the trade with Asia and Europe along the Red Sea through out that period. If it was not for the Eurocentric model of history, Ethiopia would be a central figure in the current historiography of the world.

And yes, this is a continuous civilization, relatively unbroken for 3000 plus years, it is not strictly archeology, though I think you meant a dead or lost civilization, because archeology explains current societies, not just lost or abandoned.

Old 03.14.2009, 03:18 AM   #11
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox

hahha. unexpected.
Old 03.14.2009, 03:23 AM   #12
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
I recently bought The Crimes of Patriots by Jonathan Kwitny and the 2nd edition of The Politics of Heroin by Alfred W. McCoy, one on ebay one on abebooks.
Books+shipping & handling+paypal, bank, etc fees = $155AUD
Old 03.14.2009, 01:21 PM   #13
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston
I recently bought The Crimes of Patriots by Jonathan Kwitny and the 2nd edition of The Politics of Heroin by Alfred W. McCoy, one on ebay one on abebooks.

the love of literature.. I just can't bring myself to spend that much for books, especially since I have been jacked by the text book industry for thousands of dollars which has single-handedly bankrupted my personal library

this is its recovery period.

Old 03.14.2009, 01:26 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston

the love of literature.. I just can't bring myself to spend that much for books, especially since I have been jacked by the text book industry for thousands of dollars which has single-handedly bankrupted my personal library

this is its recovery period.

Old 03.14.2009, 02:12 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'm looking for total abuse by peter sotos..

Then you have a shit taste in literature. Sotos is easily one of the least good writers I've ever read. Most writers with a modicum of notoreity at least have a handle on basic grammar/ syntax. Reading Sotos is very much like watching an 11-year-old wanking, but not as funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth