Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page sonic youth live
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.07.2006, 08:40 AM   #1
guitarwolf
little trouble girl

guitarwolf has tongues queuing up for a rim-festguitarwolf has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
hey everybody,

I'm a big fan of old school Sonic Youth and I'm thinking of going to their show down in Melbourne. I was just wondering what their live shows are like nowadays, I'm a little hesitant to go because it's a lot of money and of all the talk about Rather Ripped I've seen on the forum.

It's not that I don't like Murray Street and Sonic Nurse, haven't heard Rather Ripped, but I want to know is if they still do plenty of noise experimentation and full on live shows or if the shows they're doing at the moment are more mellow.

Cheers
guitarwolf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2006, 09:00 AM   #2
wishful thinking
empty page

wishful thinking has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The shows nowadays are heavy with the new material (as is to be expected), but that shouldn't keep you from going. I wasn't the hugest fan of Sonic Nurse, but they rather ripped (pun intended) the songs in the live setting. There will still be plenty of noise no matter what they play.
wishful thinking is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2006, 09:34 AM   #3
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
plus according to the setlists of the warm-up shows played in france they'll mix rateher ripped tracks with early 80's material like shaking hell,making the nature scene....
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2006, 11:02 AM   #4
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
when ive seen them theyve played the new stuff but with much more heavy noise in there. they usually play a few oldies too (like expressway, shadow of a doubt, brother james). the first two times i saw them was awesome, but i saw them in france last summer and they werent that great. they played a load of stuff off goo and daydream nation and didnt experiment or extend the songs at all. they couldve just put a cd on for how rehearsed it sounded. i think that was just a bad one though, they had been on tour all summer.

generally i would say go for it! they usually pull out all the stops live, and they might not be touring so much in a couple of years time (they are pretty old) so take your chance NOW!
lucyrulesok is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2006, 05:02 PM   #5
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
buy a ticket and goo, last time i saw them was 1000 leaves tour and they played stuff like dv69, and silver rocket and they also had kk null supporting....
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2006, 09:55 PM   #6
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
i wouldnt go if i were you, i cant stand their post bmr stuff though...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 05:02 AM   #7
guitarwolf
little trouble girl

guitarwolf has tongues queuing up for a rim-festguitarwolf has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Thanks for your responses guys. In the end I decided to go, I got my ticket today and I'm really looking forward to it.
guitarwolf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 05:09 AM   #8
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
hey, when i saw then in 2004 they played teenage riot, so i was pretty happy, you never know what older songs there going to throw into the set list.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 05:39 AM   #9
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwolf
Thanks for your responses guys. In the end I decided to go, I got my ticket today and I'm really looking forward to it.
Good choice, my man!

And in answer to your earlier question: Oh yes, there'll be plenty of noise...

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth