Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.14.2023, 04:16 PM   #25521
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I dont need reminding that the world and people are shit.
well, nobody needs a "reminder", these are basic things everyone knows.

the question is not whether we should remember. the question is: given that the world and people are shit: how does one deal with that?

but that isn't the right question really, because the shittiness of life does not operate at an abstract, conceptual level like some platonic idea of the shitty. it is always real and specific and concrete, and complex, and complicated. the concept of shittiness derives from that concrete experience, not the otjer way around.

so it is good for all of us (who have to deal with the shit of life) to see a complex and complicated scenario of specific shittiness without actually being a part of it. that is the relief and the medicine. you witness it, but you are not in it. there is distance.

and witnessing it one might boohoo or haaahaaa, depending. but whatever happens, it's not you, the spectator, who is in it. lucky it's not you! it is someone else, a character, who is being tragic or ridiculous. relief!

and so, from the detachment of purged emotions, the ability to process and the freedom to think about how to deal with shitty things like that. which is not a luxury the trapped have amidst their suffering.

and that there has been theatre since the greeks.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2023, 11:26 PM   #25522
clelala
empty page

clelala has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
girl interupted.
Haha, this site is so cool.

I just watched October Sky. That's actually a lie, I haven't yet but I will tomorrow.

Also, Stockholm.
clelala is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2023, 09:11 AM   #25523
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

It's almost like a ballet. Some scenes are truly phenomenal. I loved the roundabout scene at the very end

yes, this movie is on YT, but I only found out just now.

and also:

which was more annoying than entertaining actually

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2023, 05:38 AM   #25524
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I watched Neighbors (which was actually pretty fun and dumb) and Neighbors 2 (which was less funny and more dumb).

I watched 65 and it was meh, l but I’d watch Adam Driver in anything.

Also Uncle Buck! Holds up despite that child abuse scene
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2023, 09:03 AM   #25525
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Watched THE VERDICT, classic noir. super awesome.

watched Born Yesterday again. My wife's fave. old classic.
Old 07.18.2023, 05:41 PM   #25526
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and call those first two animated Spider-Man movies the best Spider-Man related audiovisual media out there. Spectacular Spider-Man is an amazing series too, but those movies are downright GORGEOUS. From all the little visual details to the amazing scenery, the kinetic action and the clever plotting and writing - there's very little to criticize. The sequel even manages to up the ante in the humor department. Looking forward to the third one next year.

What can I say? I have a soft-spot for Wes Anderson movies. So I'm far from unbiased here. But I enjoyed it a lot. What I've been seeing throughout his latest two movies (the previous one being The French Dispatch) is a director who's gotten so confident in his visual style and particular type of storytelling, that he's willing to take chances that might put off some people but really cater to others.

Anderson's interest in the media - be it print media or as is the case here, stage plays, has taken the driver's seat in the last few years. He's crafted another loving homage to a medium that seems antiquated to some. If anything bogs it down a bit, it's the sheer scope he's going for here. There are so many characters in there he clearly intends to have some sort journey that in the grand scheme of things it might be a bit muddled. Given some very meta-observations within the movie, this might have been at least partly intentional though. The jury's still out on whether the themes were established stringently enough or if they were a tad undercooked. A re-watch will help.

However, what is there is gorgeously shot, really well-acted and just really charming in its embrace of camp. And the themes touched upon - being stuck in limbo, loneliness and not quite being able to "figure life out" are certainly timely ones that are bound to strike a chord with quite a few.

Anderson movies always had a very particular look to them, but it's noticeable just how many layers have been added to his scene compositions over the years. It's astounding how much is going on on the screen simultanously in Asteroid City. It's a spectacle. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2023, 09:45 AM   #25527
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I turned off French Dispatch.

too fey
Old 07.19.2023, 11:46 AM   #25528
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I turned off French Dispatch.

too fey

It was just kind of a shite movie really
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2023, 09:44 PM   #25529
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge
Old 07.24.2023, 09:31 AM   #25530
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

watched UNDER THE VOLCANO with Finney.

drunk gets drunker til he dies drunk.
Old 07.24.2023, 11:38 AM   #25531
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

It was way better than Innisherin.

Innishrin is my new low.

I used to praise middling movies by saying "its better than Darkman."

Then I would say "It's better than The Thief, his wife, her cook, ad the lover"

Now I say, "It is better than Innisherin"
Old 07.24.2023, 12:14 PM   #25532
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
After Hours
Old 07.24.2023, 12:52 PM   #25533
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It was way better than Innisherin.

Innishrin is my new low.

I used to praise middling movies by saying "its better than Darkman."

Then I would say "It's better than The Thief, his wife, her cook, ad the lover"

Now I say, "It is better than Innisherin"

haaaahaaaahaaaaa! these are quality jokes.

i'll reuse (and change the titles). "it's better than guardians of the galaxy" (or whatever).

finney is fucking great in under the volcano btw. i mean he was usually great, but here--whoa! out of this world (literally, in the end).

i wanna read the novel, i do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
After Hours

ooooh that one is great fun, very 80s, i want to rewatch (seen a few times)
Old 07.24.2023, 01:39 PM   #25534
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I never watched Under the Volcano because I thought it was Joe vs The Volcano which is FUCKING HORRIBLE
Old 07.24.2023, 03:10 PM   #25535
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I never watched Under the Volcano because I thought it was Joe vs The Volcano which is FUCKING HORRIBLE
hhahahahaaaaaaa! fuck, i hated tom hanks most of the time. he used to look like a fucking giant baby. he's more tolerable in old age.

anyway check title #11 listed here:

https://sites.prh.com/modern-library-top-100
Old 07.24.2023, 05:39 PM   #25536
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Vamps.
Old 07.25.2023, 09:35 AM   #25537
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hhahahahaaaaaaa! fuck, i hated tom hanks most of the time. he used to look like a fucking giant baby. he's more tolerable in old age.

anyway check title #11 listed here:

https://sites.prh.com/modern-library-top-100

I do not trust a list that does not include Moby Dick as # 1
Old 07.25.2023, 09:40 AM   #25538
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I do not trust a list that does not include Moby Dick as # 1

oh but it's a 20th century list (now i notice the website itself doesn't mention it but yeah, time-bracketed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSf9f5_qZ8
Old 07.26.2023, 08:40 AM   #25539
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

That makes sense.
Old 08.10.2023, 08:51 AM   #25540
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses

A technical achievement. The movie is really well-shot and quite a spectacle. The performances were great too.

However, I feel like Nolan's tendency to accentuate the spectacular over the more subtle notions once again was a bit of a detriment. To be fair, he seems to have gotten better at depicting emotional interaction, there were only a few pieces of dialogue that felt stilted. But his baffling decision to check off most of Oppenheimer's liaisons as well as a lot of points of interest in his biography without actually giving them enough time to breathe and develop, made the movie seem quite bloated.

The sequence depicting the Trinity test and the aftermath - as seen from the perspective of Oppenheimer, were quite powerful. But leading up to that was a methodical checklist of events in Oppie's life that would have been interesting, if only some of the consequences of the subjects touched upon were actually shown or explored more.

And after the Manhattan Project section, the movie turns into Twelve Angry Men with a constant overbearing score in the background and a ton of exposition. Also: None of the quiet discomfort of Twelve Angry Men.

I wished someone had told Nolan to dial it down a bit and actually focus on what kind of movie he wants to make - because when it was good, it was REALLY GOOD. Cillian Murphy is great in the lead and the performances in general did lend a lot of personality to the overall atmosphere. But the way the story was told seemed a tad disjointed.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
777117712271267127412751276 1277 127812791280 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth