Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page We Should Start A Board Fanzine !!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.09.2007, 09:00 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
How bout it guys? Are you all on board? This could be a really fun idea if it's pulled off right.

It would be sonic youth fans talking about music in general. We could all write reviews of albums to inform other members or write up about a concert review we just saw. Of course the zine would have to some section dedicated to SY info. Also we need a title.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 09:02 PM   #2
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I'd contribute. But we'd have to make it look all DIY black and white 80's like.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 09:13 PM   #3
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
i'm in, but none of that 80's crap... the absolut worst decade for music, and everything else for that matter.

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 10:12 PM   #4
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
How was it the worst decade for music?

All of Sonic Youth's pre-Geffen stuff
Mission of Burma
The Replacements
Rites of Spring
Big Black

Need I say more?
Old 11.09.2007, 10:21 PM   #5
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
The Music Academy?
Old 11.09.2007, 10:25 PM   #6
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
It obviously wasn't the worst decade in music. Every decade had it's bad portion/genre of music. The 80's probably had the worst explosion of pop culture mahen, which was, therefor, inevitably the music that moulded that era's image for the minds of the majority, but that doesn't speak for all music created in that time.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 10:26 PM   #7
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
I hate making good threads into pointless arguments, so to stay on topic, I'd say that sounds like a swel plan
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 04:12 AM   #8
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
i could lay stuff out in adobe indesign. and do some graphic design. i'm decent with illustrator also. it doesn't have to be 80s necessarily, but i think it should look DIY...

m1rr0r dash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 10:15 AM   #9
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde1
i'm in, but none of that 80's crap... the absolut worst decade for music, and everything else for that matter.

At least one third of my favorite records are from the 80s.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 12:10 PM   #10
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flophousefloozie
It obviously wasn't the worst decade in music. Every decade had it's bad portion/genre of music. The 80's probably had the worst explosion of pop culture mahen, which was, therefor, inevitably the music that moulded that era's image for the minds of the majority, but that doesn't speak for all music created in that time.

The first thing I think of when I think of the 80s mainstream is New Wave. And New Wave was pretty damn cool.

But back to the topic- I just love the black and white high contrast very DIY look of that stuff.
Old 11.10.2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Not a bad idea. If you can take everyone's input and put it into sweet-looking downloadable PDFs.. then I'm all for it.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 12:55 PM   #12
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I just realized, Im not really the most cpmputer literate person. Is there someone her that would want to help in this aspect? I really want to get this to happen.

Also we need a title for the zine !
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 01:46 PM   #13
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
how about "atomic wallop" i love that lyric......
Old 11.10.2007, 04:44 PM   #14
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
Hell yes.

If it were going to be started by us boarders though, wouldn't an SY lyric as its title be a prerequisite?

Fortunately, SY happened to scribe some pretty lyrics. And it needn't be too obvious, either - maybe a knowing reference to some facet of SY's back catalogue long forgotten by just about everybody besides us...

'Killed And Kicked Off', say...
Old 11.10.2007, 05:38 PM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
..You guys have fun! I used to write for a zine from when I was 12 to 15. It was about video games. Fun times.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 06:47 PM   #16
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
fanzines are shedloadsa fun. i did one for about a year, stupid shit but it was cool!
Old 11.10.2007, 07:04 PM   #17
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
At least one third of my favorite records are from the 80s.

sorry to hear that sir. imma take a guess and say yr over 30 then.

Old 11.10.2007, 08:10 PM   #18
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
I'm 20 and I think the eighties was an utterly incredible time for underground music. You just need to explore beneath the surface.
Old 11.10.2007, 08:21 PM   #19
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

or i could look to the future instead. nah, not to sound like a dick, it's just that everything from the 80's has that distinct sound to it and it really gets on my nerves. of course there are certain things i do listen to from the 80's (i exagerate most of the time), but over all, i really think it sucked. the fashion, the movies (well, not all of em), politics and especially the music. that 80's hair band metal crap is the worst of all... and i understand ya'll are talking about the GOOD music from the 80's... but there was far more crap then there was good stuff, and i was born in 80 so i wasn't really into music at that point. i dont' understand how grown men in girls makeup wearing tights and singing all falsetto like w/ cock rock guitar solos was ever even considered metal. when i think of metal, i think EVIL! loud, crushing, fast (could be slow too though), disgusting music. and i dont' even really like metal, but i know for damn sure that shit in the 80's should not be considered metal. my roomate in san diego years ago dragged me to a Meshuggah show... now that, in my book, is fucking metal. i know ya'll aren't talking about that stuff, but when i think of the 80's, that's what comes to mind. and i don't even really know what to consider new wave to be honest, so i couldn't comment on that, unless you tell me who's considered new wave and what was considered just plain 80's crappy pop music... like EMF, ughhhh.

Old 11.10.2007, 08:22 PM   #20
Jt
children of satan

I suppose you're not really a Daydream Nation or Sister fan, then...? ...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth