Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Crips and Bloods: Made in America (A Documentary)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.14.2009, 08:15 PM   #41
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I think that's the problem. However it may have started is largely besides the point.It's picked up its own momentum and agenda since then.

That's why I'm so careful not to turn my interest in the subject into anything that might be deemed as romanticising it. Even people who speak out about it can find themselves wallowing in that world. It all becomes very voyeuristic. That or a means to illustrate their own preconscribed grievances against 'the man'. It's a complex issue and, like all complex issues, it doesn't have a simple solution.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 02:53 AM   #42
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, a great thread here.
I've always been quite fascinated with the US street gang thing and I will most likely end up buying that "Monster" book that floatingslowly posted in the beginning of the thread.
I was wondering ... is there something like that going on in other US cities too? Meaning, street gangs that control certain areas of the city, fight rival gangs, etc etc.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 03:00 AM   #43
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, that's something I was wondering too. The news media, at least in Europe, seems to concentrate on Los Angeles as though gang activity doesn't exist in any other part of the country. That plus bands like NWA, Compton's Most Wanted and films like Colors all focusing on LA.

Someone, I think it was Floating, mentioned the Gotti gang in New Orleans but I'd never heard of them until then. I'm sure it must be in all parts of the country but it's never reported like that.

The nearest we have in England is the football 'firms' but they're pretty small now and besides, never had that much power in the first place. Like the LA Gang culture though, football hooliganism has inspired tonnes of books and films that clearly wallow in the whole thing, while pretending to condemn it.
Old 05.15.2009, 03:02 AM   #44
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I was trying to find out if there was something like that going existing in Baltimore when I lived there for a short period of time, but I was told there was nothing like a concentrated gang activity - it was more of a disorganized bunch of crack dealers and small gang units.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 05.15.2009, 03:07 AM   #45
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Have you read David Simon's book Homicide, which the series The Wire was based on? That goes into massive detail about gangs in Baltimore. I don't remember it mentioning individual gangs like Bloods or Crips, so much as pockets of kids working for certain dealers who will run up against other rival dealers.

If you're interested specifically in Baltimore, get that book. It's incredible and in many ways far better than the series.
Old 05.15.2009, 03:10 AM   #46
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Have you read David Simon's book Homicide, which the series The Wire was based on? That goes into massive detail about gangs in Baltimore. I don't remember it mentioning individual gangs like Bloods or Crips, so much as pockets of kids working for certain dealers who will run up against other rival dealers.

If your interested specifically in Baltimore, get that book. It's incredible and in many ways far better than the series.

oh, thank you sir. noted for later purchase.
Baltimore was a tough place. I was recommended not to visit some particular places by any means. You don't get that kind of recommendation in mainland Europe very often (i'm not that sure about UK though).

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 05.15.2009, 03:17 AM   #47
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The worst place I've heard about in America is Detroit, parts of which seem to be completely fucked. I've never been but have a friend who married someone from there and was totally shocked when she went.

There's nowhere really like that in the UK. There's obviously areas within a lot of inner cities that tourists wouldn't want to go to, but to be honest there wouldn't be any reason for them to visit those places anyway.There are certain notorious estates which at night might get a bit sketchy, but nothing where I think you'd find yourself fearing for your life unless you were either really stupid or really unlucky.
Old 05.15.2009, 03:24 AM   #48
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:
There's nowhere really like that in the UK. There's obviously areas within a lot of inner cities that tourists wouldn't want to go to, but to be honest there wouldn't be any reason for them to visit those places anyway.There are certain notorious estates which at night might get a bit sketchy, but nothing where I think you'd find yourself fearing for your life unless you were either really stupid or really unlucky.

I've heard of Newham in London, am I right?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 05.15.2009, 03:27 AM   #49
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, lol. That's where I'm from!

Parts of it are pretty bad but nothing like what I hear about Compton or parts of Baltimore or Detroit. You're more likely to die of utter boredom in Newham than you are in a drive by.
Old 05.15.2009, 03:45 AM   #50
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, lol. That's where I'm from!

Parts of it are pretty bad but nothing like what I hear about Compton or parts of Baltimore or Detroit. You're more likely to die of utter boredom in Newham than you are in a drive by.

yeah, drive-by shootings, that's what the part of Baltimore called "Inner city" was infamous for.
anyways, sorry for that Newham reference. I didn't know you were from that place ... if I did, I wouldn't have brought it up

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 05.15.2009, 03:52 AM   #51
demonrail666
invito al cielo

No, it's just funny because it's not somewhere that has a massive profile. Either way, I don't live there any more.
Old 05.15.2009, 12:01 PM   #52
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, that's something I was wondering too. The news media, at least in Europe, seems to concentrate on Los Angeles as though gang activity doesn't exist in any other part of the country. That plus bands like NWA, Compton's Most Wanted and films like Colors all focusing on LA.

Someone, I think it was Floating, mentioned the Gotti gang in New Orleans but I'd never heard of them until then. I'm sure it must be in all parts of the country but it's never reported like that.

The nearest we have in England is the football 'firms' but they're pretty small now and besides, never had that much power in the first place. Like the LA Gang culture though, football hooliganism has inspired tonnes of books and films that clearly wallow in the whole thing, while pretending to condemn it.

I think there's somthing similar with these teenage gangs in the UK nowadays. It seems to be mainly London. Of course it's a much on a smaller scale and they only really seem to be using knives but when you hear about them in the news they have proper names and territories and although they might not be proper organisations selling drugs or doing whatever it does seem like it could develop into a more significant problem.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 12:07 PM   #53
demonrail666
invito al cielo

There seems to be a bit of a copy-cat culture, especially within predominantly black and asian gangs, in looking to America for an identity. So yeah, I can see things following the American example, at least in terms of attitude. It's all quite depressing really.
Old 05.15.2009, 03:44 PM   #54
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
well, the problem is, whoever started it all and why doesn't matter so much as what it's turned into. it spread like a cancer and now it's everywhere.

actually, if crips begin to look back at their origins in truth, they can return to the ideals, and perhaps go back to some Panther shit rather than some bullshit. At least thats what I preach at the liquor store when I'm in the hood.. it should be about some Panther shit like soup kitchens and neighborhood restoration. niggaz should be on the block painting trim and picking up trash, not getting into shit all day.

floating.. the wiki story is what all those youngsters said was their story and that has become the text book story, but the OG versions which I have heard say that the first folks to join these Baby Avenues were mixed up as youngsters with the Panthers, and were involved with both gang and community activites, both jacking people for the Panthers and doing community service. This is the foundation of the CRIPS, as the lil homies runnin around with the Panthers until all the Panthers were either killed, locked up or scattered. The Baby Avenues story is only part of it, whats missing from that Wiki entry is what motivated and influence all the OTHER youngsters to join up with Crips to begin with, and that was their previous activities and experiences with the Panthers. The CRIPS didn't blow up because those handful of founding youngsters were so cool, it was because it was a bunch of people related initially to the Panthers.. in a sense that first generation of Crips was an extension and continuation of the people who were organized with the LA panthers, but since there were no more LA panthers to guide them, all they had to get into was bullshit.. and we know for a fact that CIA/FBI were all over the neighborhoods in this time, so we can also know that they were involved in corrupting these youngsters away from Panther ideals towards drugs and gang violence..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 04:31 PM   #55
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
For what reason would the CIA or FBI do that?
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 07:44 PM   #56
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ to finance the war in vietnam with cheap and powerful heroin from southeast asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
actually, if crips begin to look back at their origins in truth, they can return to the ideals, and perhaps go back to some Panther shit rather than some bullshit.

I would image that you aren't the first idealist to preach the good word in the hood. it never seems to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0YVj4pVHhk
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 08:11 PM   #57
demonrail666
invito al cielo

From an outsiders perspective, it strikes me that American society would require a massive ideological overhaul in order for it to find a solution to the problems you're discussing here. As it is, gang/drug culture is merely an unofficial mirror of what is taking place officially on a corporate level and the 'good word' is as meaningless to a bunch of crack dealers as it is to a boardroom full of CEOs.
Old 05.15.2009, 08:38 PM   #58
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I lived in orange county during the riots in '92. I could look north and see pillars of smoke everywhere.

other than a minor incursion into hollywood, it pretty much stayed in south central LA.

I remember watching people burn down their own neighborhoods and the VERY FEW stores that were still open there.

although it felt like a revolution, I kept thinking "they're doing it wrong".
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 09:31 PM   #59
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

I would image that you aren't the first idealist to preach the good word in the hood. it never seems to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0YVj4pVHhk

unfortunately I know.. they have been shutting down goodie goodies like my since Marcus Mosiah Garvey stood in Harlem in 1919... but I remain hopeful that even a little good can go a long way, after all, the only reason we exist today is the few good actions of the people before us, it is not the bad that preserves our existence, but the minority of good. keep the the faith or there is nothing to live for, and I am in the hood one way or the other so I might was well spread the love.. till they check my pass and kick me out you know?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 10:18 PM   #60
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
SuchFriendsAreDangerous, did either of LA's old trollycar companies have lines running through these neighbourhoods?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth