Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Politically Tame (Lame)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.10.2006, 10:47 AM   #1
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
This board is getting lax on discussing anything political these days. I don't see any long threads on the Israeli / Hezbollah fighting, or the alQaeda Terror threats, or the Iraqi war.

Does anyone notice a general pattern to these conflicts? The Islamic fundamentalists (fascists) are starting an all-out guerrilla-based world war against the sonic West that we all know and love. Does anyone care?? Or is this still a made-up war by Bush and Blair to eventually dominate the world?

Hopefully, you mealy-mouthed thirteen-year olds can offer up a decent opinion on what's happening out there.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
bucklebone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 10:50 AM   #2
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
This made me smile simply because i've had a look at your avatar.Leave politics to where they belong.Chances are that everytime there are political discussions on this messageboard,they end up in arguments.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 12:32 PM   #3
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
you turn on the tv, you pick up a newspaper, you turn on the radio you get war war fucking war. misery.
then you go to one place thats not talking about war, and someones telling you that you should be talking about it.
maybe we should.
but i dont want to. i used to be of the opinion that we should all be really upset about everything that happens in the world. we should lose sleep over it and try and fix all the ills in the world. now im not.
we cant do anything. maybe if everyone managed to get organised they could do something, but to be honest, the only people with the required motivation are those who are already affected and already involved.
its all so sad and terrible. i agree. who fault? does it even fucking matter?
the whole of history has been war, killing and diesease just as bad as today. now we all know whats going on on the other side of the world so it seems like its getting worse. its not. its the fucking same. nobodys gonna stop it. the only people who have the power and motivation to do anything are already part of it. everyone else is ignored.
its the same as when i used to go to demonstrations and think i would make a difference. you dont really make a difference. but you can piss off the people and companies you hate even if only for one day.
i feel more relaxed these days now that i realise human nature has never changed and that nothing is getting any worse. i used to try and research all of the horrible things that were happening and it just made me feel anxious and angry. i dont want to feel like that.
everybody says talking is the way forward. its bollox. you can talk about the same thing over and over and it never sorts itself out.
you have to fight. and whilst all the activists will talk to you about fighting, we are all too comfertable to actualy do it.

its all very well to sit here and discuss it. but the only thing that will really stop it is intervention.
you think diplomats or the UN council look on message boards for ideas?
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 12:43 PM   #4
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
But there are people out there who are working towards a better world.They simply don't post their opinions or plans on an internet messageboard.Theory without practice is useless and the same goes for practice without theory.A political comment made on the internet accounts to zero in the reality of politics.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 12:43 PM   #5
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
normally when anything political comes up a few people post and it either dies or battle lines are drawn because everyone gets so angry.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 01:11 PM   #6
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I expected there to be posts about that thing yesterday (or I guess it was today). But I was half asleep when the report came on so I don't really know what's going on.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 01:48 PM   #7
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
I figured that there are enough UK'ers and USA'ers and Middle Easterner's on this board that there might be some unique, if not changing, perspectives on what is happening out there.

Back in the day of the old board, politics would get mixed in with everything else Sonic. So now that it's segregated on the board, I thought this might be a good place to start a discussion.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
bucklebone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 03:03 PM   #8
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
you think diplomats or the UN council look on message boards for ideas?

Of course not, but I do find it highly ironic & worth remarking upon that behind the press podium at the U.N. hangs the greatest work of modern art ever created, Picasso's 1937 painting Guernica, which is about the fascist bombing of the spanish town of the same name full of civilians which was the first aerial raid of its depraved & macabre type in world history. The massacre was intentionally delivered on a Monday which was the peak marketplace day of the week when people from out of town were all there & it was the first joint German/Italian bombing raid.
Guernica was hanging there on 9/11 as well, (having only just arrived) but when a U.N. press conference was given, they intentionally covered it.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 04:17 PM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
well the main political heads no longer post because they all got sick of arguing with unreasonable idiots.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
The problem is, there's always someone who can't handle the existence of alternate opinions, and so any serious thread is likely to descend into a torrent of abuse due to that person. This being an unmoderated board, nothing is done to rectify the situation.

Most people here, I imagine, are also members of other boards, and I suspect that the other boards are the place where those sorts of discussions are entered into. Shame.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 05:07 PM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I just kinda hate talking about politics.
I like to get the news and know what's going on, but I hate talking about stuff with people.
If you agree with each other, you preach to the choir, sitting around getting mad together. If you disagree, it's really touchy and people take things all personally.
It's bad enough with something as dumb as one's tastes in music or art, but people take it as far more of a personal value judgment if you have opinions in political/social matters that oppose theirs.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 05:07 PM   #12
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
This thread is (lame)... politically.
Old 08.10.2006, 05:10 PM   #13
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I just kinda hate talking about politics.
I like to get the news and know what's going on, but I hate talking about stuff with people.
If you agree with each other, you preach to the choir, sitting around getting mad together. If you disagree, it's really touchy and people take things all personally.
It's bad enough with something as dumb as one's tastes in music or art, but people take it as far more of a personal value judgment if you have opinions in political/social matters that oppose theirs.

This is true, but people can either take things a bit personally and debate the issue or they can take it a bit personally and be an abusive prick. If someone is going to make the latter choise then they should just have the wisdom to stay the fuck out of the thread.

Old 08.10.2006, 05:24 PM   #14
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the thing i hate about talking about politics is that nothing ever changes, you can talk about all the shit and troubles in the world but you're pretty much powerless to change them.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 05:27 PM   #15
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

It's true that you're unlikely to change an opposing opinion, but two sides can at least demonstrate to one another that their respective views are honestly held due to looking at the facts. That in itself is a positive thing.

Old 08.10.2006, 05:41 PM   #16
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
This thread is (lame)... politically.

If you think this little tidbit is a "lame" post, then it's you that have the problem.

repost:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Of course not, but I do find it highly ironic & worth remarking upon that (for several years now) behind the press podium at the U.N. hangs the greatest work of modern art ever created, Picasso's 1937 painting Guernica, which is about the fascist bombing of the spanish town of the same name full of civilians which was the first aerial raid of its depraved & macabre type in world history. The massacre was intentionally delivered on a Monday which was the peak marketplace day of the week when people from out of town were all there & it was the first joint German/Italian bombing raid.

Guernica was hanging there on 9/11 as well, (having only just arrived) but when a U.N. press conference was given, they intentionally covered it.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 05:43 PM   #17
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
This thread is not about politics, or is it?
Old 08.10.2006, 05:51 PM   #18
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
not talking about things is much worse than the alternative. there is a time and a place for it though.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 08.10.2006, 05:54 PM   #19
jon boy
invito al cielo

plus i dont like the hijacking of things as a means to promote views/opinions because its just lame.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 08.10.2006, 05:58 PM   #20
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=martial+law
this is a very interesting political film

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1519312457137943386&q=loose+change
this one also
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth