Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page MV & EE with The Golden Road "Gettin' Gone"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.20.2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
ECSTATIC PEACE presents:
MV & EE with The Golden Road "Gettin' Gone"
Release date: October 9, 2007

Still riding high on the glorious steed that was Green Blues (heads are still processing its smoked grooves and wild-at-heart paeans to love and kosmiche carnality), Matt Valentine and Erika Elder entered a Western Mass studio armed with enough fresh material to choke a whole team of horses. You may ask, "how can this be?" Well, since recording their Ecstatic Peace debut the duo has toured extensively, all the while writing tunes, scavenging esoteric guitar equipment & revamping their backing band to suit the environment of Gettin' Gone . A new sound has organically evolved that will most certainly astonish listeners new & old, but still find a special place on the formidable shelf of their back catalog. So rejoice in this disc, which boasts some of MV & EE's most finely-crafted songs to date and along with The Golden Road present a feast of tones & riffs that will stick to your ribs for a long time.

Like its predecessor, Gettin' Gone is a family affair of like-minded freak and friendly hair waves. Most fascinating is the Ecstatic Peace soundboard premier of Zuma, one of the coolest dog minds north of New York City. Also the one part golden addition of Doc Dunn and the harmonium magic of Luisa, she of Mascis child. Oh and J his self blams some mountain heavy drumming on a few of these tracks. Matt and Erika's devotional dharma is open to all true vibes of rock n' roll and folk n' roots ramble both tender and tuff.

Witness:

Susquehanna (sole art trample) comes ripping hot off the electromagneto recording heads with fat sizzling bacon guitar slash and features long running MV & EE cohort Willie Lane laying loose his mystery electric blues foundation lines driven by J Mascis stick play. Erika's vocals are sweet weeds tickling yr heart, "Susquehanna I'm comin' home to you..."

The Burden enters with some of the most alluring and gentle acoustic and lap guitar moves MV & EE have ever graced us with. Matt's singing and lyrics are stunning and when he lays down the final extra-fried guitar lead you will pass out. "Set some bars on fire, even burnt our hair, and I still love you even when it pours."</I>

Hammer is a helluva jammer with Sunburned Hand of The Man buds John Moloney and Ron Schneiderman slowly killing on drums and bass while Erika lays down a request no one should ever deny. "If he asks you was I runnin', tell him I was flyin'..."

I Got Caves In There is a psychedelic set of Matt sung verses each book ended by the ghost-angel voice of Erika with spare acoustic guitar and pedal steel sweeps dripping with inside lysergic lostness. Blink and it's gone. "I got caves in there and fragments of bone."

Mama My is pure Danny Whitten punk and majesty again measured nicely by J Mascis drum action connecting heavy with the good coma slow doc tumble. "...All I breathe is green."

Day & Night is a five-minute beauty with Matt's bantar (modified banjo>sitar) and swarsangam, Erika's bowed dulcimer, Doc Dunn's pedal steel and the sweet singing of Luisa's harmonium. A real time folk cobalt jammer involving text message anxiety, "if the blues don't kill me then the living will."

Easy Livin' strides from the gate gentle but has the underlying psychedelic fire of Willie Lane's snaggle-guitar warming it's bed,the kinda superior burn the discerning COM listener grooves on. "I raised alotta synapse like megabux."

Colaed Out is made more resonant with the amped fuzz bass of Samara Lubelski who has rode the rails hard with this troupe for some time. This track is a rambling burner, an open chapter of Matt's eye on the elusive yet beguiling figure of one Cocola. All kinds of thought-shard dropping from the sonic ceiling here. Beware. "...this one is for mike watt and the creek, yeah kill that shit..."

Speed Queen is a killer search light tune. The quest of the rock n roll animal. With Mascis drumming. And Matt 's enigmatic lyrics on emptiness and re-fuelling are classic. "Sometimes you can't get there fast enuff to slow down."

Motorin', like Colaed Out, barely busts the 2-minute mark but unlike the full group grope of that track this is just the sweet core duology of Matt and Erika with some hip party ghosts. "How I miss runnin' around catchin' rays and thinkin' about the days."

Country Fried is an extended MV & EE duo take, unfolding sky miles of musical grace with the doc adding superior north country rural color. A good three quarters of the way through they start chopping some real country oak and lay down one of the heaviest, killer grooves in their cosmic catalog. "...and every stone that is thrown must fall."

Home Comfort is all New England haze and hallowed hill evocation, again the primary core duo of MV & EE breezing and seeking and psyche-mind contemplation. A stirring track. "The glare near packers corners where we would run to catch a moonray and cocola is sum."

Sweet People is back porch rock n roll holler "Hey all you people!" with Erika laying down a completely charmed vocal. Mascis on drums and Willie lane on guitar, Doc in the lows, and the cosmic dog mind of mystery spirit Zuma on 'bells' make this track a kiss to the sun, the clouds, the earth and the sweet heads that come to visit down the dusty blues road MV/EE call maximum arousal farm. Righteous. "Gonna ride and ramble 'til my cherry comes back home."
These tunes were recorded spring and summer 2007 with a whole lotta good vibes, we hope you'll sail with them.

MV & EE with The Golden Road "Gettin' Gone"

1. Susquehanna (sole art trample) 5:08
2. The Burden 4:42
3. Hammer 7:49
4. I Got Caves in There 3:53
5. Mama My 5:19
6. Day & Night 5:37
7. Easy Livin' 4:41
8. Colaed Out 2:07
9. Speed Queen 6:56
10. Motorin' 2:02
11. Country Fried 8:50
12. Home Comfort 4:54
13. Sweet People 4:54

Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
MV:Acoustic and Electric Guitars, Harmonica, Bantar (modified banjo>sitar), Swarsangam, Bass, Octave Divider Bass, Mellotron, Vox
EE:Cocola Firebird, Lap Steel, Bowed Dulcimer, Mandolin, Vox

Willie Lane: Guitar
J Mascis: Drums
Ron Schneiderman: Bass
Samara Lubelski: Bass
John Moloney: Drums
Doc Dunn: Pedal Steel, Resonator, Bass, Drums, Vox
Luisa Reichenheim: Harmonium Zuma: Bells

Tunes: Matt Valentine & Erika Elder
Recorded, Engineered & Mixed by Justin Pizzoferrato at Bank Row (Greenfield, MA) & Bisquiteen (Amherst, MA)
Produced by Matt Valentine
2007 Ecstatic Peace All Rights Reserved

Click here for an audio interview with MV & EE by Jethrow Keane of the Liberation News Service

Click for Video Preview

Click for MV & EE's site

Click for Pitchfork Story

Out Now: Turbo Fruits, Wooden Wand CD + LP, Leslie Keffer LP, 16 Bitch Pileup/Mike Shiflet Split LP

Coming Soon: Thurston (9/18), Magik Markers (9/25), MV+EE (10/9)

Also: Little Claw LP, Sightings LP, Poor School LP, Tusco Terror/Emeralds Split LP, Okkyung Lee, Islaja, and more...
That's it for now. Thanks for the support. Tell us how we can help.

Andrew
andrew@ecstaticpeace.com
Old 07.20.2007, 06:47 PM   #3
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
he cut his beard!
moshe doesnt he look like tzvika pik in the top picture?

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Moshe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
he cut his beard!
moshe doesnt he look like tzvika pik in the top picture?
it is him!!!
Old 08.03.2007, 03:45 PM   #5
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
actually in that first pic i think matt looks like geddy lee (of RUSH)?!?!?!
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2007, 06:40 PM   #6
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
a bit...
i heard their new song on the ecstatic peace myspace. pretty good. very very neil youngish

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2007, 12:12 AM   #7
Moshe
Super Moderator

out now!
Old 10.12.2007, 07:16 AM   #8
Moshe
Super Moderator

MV & EE

A little something different out in the sonic pasture

By MARTIN PAVLINIC

del.ico.us
|

digg it!
|

reddit!

print | email | 0 Comments
http://www.weeklydig.com/files/images/MU_MV&EELG.jpg
For little over a decade, Matt Valentine and Erika Elder have been hanging out on the fringes of the music world. They exude a vibe somewhere between farmers, hippies and shamans: Valentine with his omnipresent straw hat and Elder with her flowing hair and flowery dresses. Together, with their collections of strange strings and music boxes, they escaped the hectic life of New York City's music scene for the deep woods of Vermont, where they became MV & EE, a prolific and dynamic duo churning out their laid-back mishmash of psychedelic folk.
Their music reflects the pace of their lives: slow and relaxed; sometimes barely holding together as free-form drones; sometimes homey little campfire sing-alongs or easygoing boogies. Recording at home constantly, they approach music like one might gardening or knitting, a labor of love. "I guess in a sense we do try to do all this recording like a journal," says Valentine, "and we can go back and review the journal and we can get some perspective on where we were emotionally and physically and mentally at that time. That way, we go ahead and compile what we consider a 'finished' piece of work."
The pair just finished Gettin' Gone, their second full-length for Ecstatic Peace, the forward-thinking experimental rock label run by Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore. This record is hardly a sophomore effort, though. Through their own tiny Child of Microtones record label and some half-dozen or so similar boutique and home-grown labels, they've unleashed dozens of albums, leaving a prodigious trail for those who might be searching.
"It's not often that we get a chance to put out a record on the level of Gettin' Gone, and there's no record company that's going to let us do every record we want," Valentine explains. "We left New York City for Vermont, and we had a little more mental and physical space to do certain things. We'd already launched Child of Microtones in '99, and when we came up here, we thought, wow, this farmers market aesthetic, like a basket out with their wares and a cash box, we dig that concept. So we usually do these small-batch recordings with this hands-on aesthetic."
Much like Green Blues, their excellent Ecstatic Peace debut from last year, Gettin' Gone will reach far past the dusty hideaways where obscure and fringe music connoisseurs lurk, bringing their lunar blues to another level and audience. They've renamed their backing band The Golden Road (previously The Bummer Road) to signal a few changes in personnel, not to mention a brighter attitude. Frequent collaborator and Dinosaur Jr. frontman J Mascis made the move from keyboards to drums, providing one of the most noticeable changes. "There's tunes, there's a lot of green space. It's a little more in your face at times, I'd say," Valentine says, "The songs with J are heavier, he's a heavier drummer than our other drummers. The songs with him on the kit are a lot more wide-open, bombed-out kind of rock songs, and I'm really into that sound. But on the other hand, the acoustic stuff on the record is a lot more chilled out than anything on the Green Blues, so you get a bit more of a range on this new one."
As the duo and their backing band worked out material for the record, they embarked on a tour exclusively of tiny dive bars for a different perspective. New lap steel guitarist Doc Dunn brought in an element of the avant-garde, conjuring up aural images of Fluxus artist Henry Flynt and composer Rhys Chatham, sources one wouldn't necessarily conflate with laid-back woodsy folk, though it seems quite obvious the way they integrate them. "Nobody really sees that side of our music so often, and maybe they don't look for that if you're not pointing it out, but it's definitely become tucked in there. The textures are still there, but harmonically I think we've advanced a lot. There's no 18 minute cuts, but it's a different kind of soloing, it's more in tune with, like, the price of gas or something," he laughs, "more miles per gallon, as it were. You get where you've gotta go a little faster."

MV & EE
WITH WINDY SMILES, NIGHT TREES
WEDNESDAY, 10.17.07
PA'S LOUNGE
345 SOMERVILLE AVE, SOMERVILLE
8:30PM/21+ $8,18+ $11
PASLOUNGE.COM
Old 10.12.2007, 08:22 AM   #9
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm, starts out w/a guitar sound like Neil but then hey this sounds like Trux and then within the first 2 minutes becomes apparent, no this doesn't sound like anything but other than Golden Road doing what they do best - Gettin gone! Features many of the tunes I heard them playing earlier this year. Its cheap, too, $10 around town, and comes with a little booklet. "s a nice tour they're jumping on next week. (tapers get in touch)
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth