Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal - 6 Months Later
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.04.2009, 07:36 PM   #21
mysonichaircut
children of satan

mysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
dear sy.

i wish you would get weirder and do something experimental, nothing you've done has been actually experimental since bad moon rising.

uh? well, there were, lets say, 10 such albums after bad moon rising. nycgf for ex.

the rest - i agree, more experiments. i consider the eternal to be a quite good album, but thats only what my brain says, my soul is not involved, and so - im bored. but - what else could i hear? Evan the worst shit from sy sounds better than all the other crap, i heard the new band from joshe homme recently and almost threw up, its sounded so terrible stupid.
mysonichaircut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2009, 07:59 PM   #22
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
the problem there is you are paying attention to what josh homme does.

you need to unplug from that level its all bullshit and of no consequence.

if you take sy as a punk rock band, as they take themselves then they make more sense. as a band on the fringes of the mainstream trying to function in that milleu then- if that was were i was looking then they'd prob me my favourite band. but this is not how they see themselves. there are literally fucking thousands of bands putting out stuff better than sy each year but they have no exposure at the josh homme/snl type level. this is the level of bullshit and were you must be trained unconcioussly to instantly ignore should it get in your face.

arguably all sy have done is put the rock back into no wave and retroactively mined pre no wave music for influences, ending up the punk rock grateful dead.

goo and sister are cool, but they are just 2 records among millions of more interesting records i havent heard yet
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2009, 08:04 PM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Boiling my butt plugs and dildos in a pot on the stove before I fuck myself with them. Who knows how many sluts they've cheated on me with.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2009, 08:13 PM   #24
el duderino
bad moon rising

el duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's asses
A really great record, I like it a lot and it has grown on me since initial listens. I do hope they don't settle into this niche for the next few albums though, as they sound very cosy on The Eternal. Its a safe record to put out, and who can blame them considering how much they have given to experimental music...but still, am hoping the next one has a bit more fire.
el duderino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2009, 08:18 PM   #25
mysonichaircut
children of satan

mysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
the problem there is you are paying attention to what josh homme does.

you need to unplug from that level its all bullshit and of no consequence.

if you take sy as a punk rock band, as they take themselves then they make more sense. as a band on the fringes of the mainstream trying to function in that milleu then- if that was were i was looking then they'd prob me my favourite band. but this is not how they see themselves. there are literally fucking thousands of bands putting out stuff better than sy each year but they have no exposure at the josh homme/snl type level. this is the level of bullshit and were you must be trained unconcioussly to instantly ignore should it get in your face.

arguably all sy have done is put the rock back into no wave and retroactively mined pre no wave music for influences, ending up the punk rock grateful dead.

goo and sister are cool, but they are just 2 records among millions of more interesting records i havent heard yet

they are not a punk rock band, not at all. and i dont care about mainstream or not, its all mainstream. there is no better band out there yet. there is better music out there, but it's not a band-thing.
mysonichaircut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2009, 11:53 PM   #26
The Journalist Boy
empty page

The Journalist Boy has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
GREAT records will always be GREAT records... And that means the eternal will always be GREAT,'' just like the maker's of the eternal..... SONIC YOUTH!!
The Journalist Boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2009, 07:09 PM   #27
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
How has your opinion of this release evolved in that time frame then?

its still not that good to me, i hardly listen to it. infact i have never heard it all the way through without getting tired of it.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2009, 08:38 PM   #28
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't listen it since august. kinda "I really don't want to"...

later.
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2009, 11:39 PM   #29
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
its a good record. not washing machine good, but 'hey we're old now' good
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2009, 11:50 PM   #30
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
its a good record. not washing machine good, but 'hey we're old now' good

Please elaborate. ie How is this "hey we're old now"?
Old 12.06.2009, 11:55 PM   #31
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Skuj is so awesome.

Sorry, I felt like saying.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2009, 12:13 AM   #32
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirttail
Initially, I found it difficult to get past just how "safe" and predictable I thought The Eternal was, but once I got over that, I was able to enjoy it. It's an album full of great rock songs. The core four sound peppy and Mark's bass is delightfully groovy. Admittedly, some of the vocal melodies are trite, and the album is not as experimental or weird as I hoped it would be, but overall, I like it.

see thats how i feel. its just a bit too safe and when i see the solo stuff (bar thurstons crappy record) i just think they could do better.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2009, 12:33 AM   #33
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Please elaborate. ie How is this "hey we're old now"?

it means "hey we're old now". it's not as experimental or all over the place as their earlier albums because they've done that already. because.. they're older. hence.. "hey we're old now"

which does nothing but make the album sound better. at least they're not beating a dead horse. they're just making the horse sound poppy
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2009, 01:33 AM   #34
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Hmmmmm.....

I dunno.

I agree with the comment regarding the lack of necrohippoflagellation, and, it certainly is a "song" record.....with choruses and shit.......but poppy? Radioplay?

I just don't see how "age" is the big factor here. Maybe the next album will be a gigantic fuck you. How old do they sound on the last couple of SYR releases?

I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just interested in these comments, especially as a 47yr old, hahaha.....
Old 12.07.2009, 02:03 AM   #35
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i really enjoy it. my favorite is malibu gas station, i love those clean chords at the beginning that continue throughout the song.
the only problem is that there really are no memorable guitar parts (other than the aforementioned one)
all their records had these, at least their earlier records, had these great guitar lines that everyone would remember and try to play, like teenage riot, diamond sea, expressway, catholic block, and this record is really them chugging away at power chords the whole time. the earlier albums had much more focus on what the instruments are playing and here they just backup the singing for the most part.
its still a great record

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 08:11 PM   #36
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I+still+think+it's+a+great+record.+I+am+also+tired +of+them+as+a+band.+that's+for+entirely+personal+r easons,+though.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 10:52 PM   #37
Umberto_Economist
empty page

Umberto_Economist has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Oddly enough I didn't really like it the first time I listened to it. Maybe it's because I'm one of those rare people who is completely obsessed with Rather Ripped from start to finish, really one of my two favorite records by the band. I know it's a terrible thing to come into a new record with preconceived notions and prejudices and I have sufficiently chastised myself for doing this.

However, for some reason I decided to listen to it again a month and for whatever reason fell madly in love with it. I don't know how I missed the first time how fucking righteously it RAWKS! And I've been devouring it ever since, so I was kind of late on it.
Umberto_Economist is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2009, 12:52 AM   #38
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoy it, but I question how much I'll still enjoy or listen to it in a year, or even six months.

I've listened to the record about eight or so times (Probably more with driving around), and have enjoyed it thoroughly, but has to make a significant mark on me. Maybe with more listens it'll climb the ranks.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2009, 02:08 AM   #39
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't know what to say about the Eternal from the begining... i mean it's good... in Trees Outside the Academy kind of way...
Surprisingly i still listen to it and it somehow grows on me.
On the other side, TOTA has been long forgotten...
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2009, 04:44 AM   #40
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
TOTA is a much better album than The Eternal to my ears.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth