Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Album of the Week Thread!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2015, 09:29 AM   #81
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Last week:

Jefre Cantu-Ledesma "A Year With 13 Moons" (Kemado/Mexican Summer)

Oh hell yeah.

Yeah that was another one I listened to. Another album I dug. I do think it sounds better through headphones than it blasting through me shitty car speakers though.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2015, 10:02 PM   #82
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
This week I think it might be Jlin - Dark Energy (Planet Mu)

This one's getting some buzz. For real. And while I do love it, I don't think it's quite quite "footwork." It bothers me when an an album is given a simple hashtaggy description. This record is a bit too complicated to fall cleanly into one little category.

But, y'know its planet mu and all, so whatever. Good shit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2015, 05:40 AM   #83
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Strategy - Noise Tape Self

brilliant.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2015, 04:17 AM   #84
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
This week I think it might be Jlin - Dark Energy (Planet Mu)

This one's getting some buzz. For real. And while I do love it, I don't think it's quite quite "footwork." It bothers me when an an album is given a simple hashtaggy description. This record is a bit too complicated to fall cleanly into one little category.

But, y'know its planet mu and all, so whatever. Good shit.
fantastic album this one, one of my favourite records released this year

not an album, but the LHF & Ragga Twins EP that got released this week was wicked. looking forward to their new album in July - one of the best forces in UK electronic music imo
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2015, 02:23 AM   #85
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
not an album, but the LHF & Ragga Twins EP that got released this week was wicked.
this, fugese is incredible.

am also loving the new errorsmith/mark fell EP, remarkable to think that even as jamie xx's pepsi max graphic design office pap is being churned out IMPORTANT MUSIC is being made. music beholden to the past should rip it up, not recreate it to suit your brand new flannel stained with the blood of oriental infants. the ilpo vaisanen record on emego is unsurprisingly magnificent too.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2015, 01:05 PM   #86
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
this, fugese is incredible.

am also loving the new errorsmith/mark fell EP, remarkable to think that even as jamie xx's pepsi max graphic design office pap is being churned out IMPORTANT MUSIC is being made. music beholden to the past should rip it up, not recreate it to suit your brand new flannel stained with the blood of oriental infants. the ilpo vaisanen record on emego is unsurprisingly magnificent too.

I didn't expect to like Jamie xx, because I don't like the Xx, and think they're extremely annoying and bland. But I heard a few singles over the past few months, and got the preview of In Colour, then got In Colour itself, and while it's not as good as I'd hoped, it's definitely got its moments.

I'm not saying it's amazing, because it's not. But is it well made? Does it show promise? Are there a few tracks that are great in a way that I don't feel can be denied? Yes x 3. I was hoping for something more revelatory, but it's good.

Definitely wish it wasn't made by that guy from The Xx though.. Then I'd probably like it more.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2015, 07:36 PM   #87
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I didn't expect to like Jamie xx, because I don't like the Xx, and think they're extremely annoying and bland. But I heard a few singles over the past few months, and got the preview of In Colour, then got In Colour itself, and while it's not as good as I'd hoped, it's definitely got its moments.

I'm not saying it's amazing, because it's not. But is it well made? Does it show promise? Are there a few tracks that are great in a way that I don't feel can be denied? Yes x 3. I was hoping for something more revelatory, but it's good.

Definitely wish it wasn't made by that guy from The Xx though.. Then I'd probably like it more.
it's the sound of white colonialist colonial imperialism devouring everything and turning on itself only to realise that it is a corpse comprised exclusively of festering turds. I don't think I've ever been so insulted by a record as I am this. humanity has literally reached its endpoint.

the music he's shamelessly replicating is predicated on joy/ecstatic abandon, it's music that while formulaic is innately dangerous and at least along some dimension volatile. jamie xx is the sound of a neutered, neck-bearded RA-commenting chronic masturbator digesting those sounds from the comfort of his bedroom, seeing that there's some opportunity to latch onto a zeitgeist and subsequently creating the most fundamentally dull music ever known to man. there's no degree of happiness to his music despite its attempting to connote contemporary notions of 'joy'.

it's totally lifeless, loveless music, and is in that the very definition of cynicism, appropriating sounds to/for which he has no tangible relationship (or, on listening to his music an ostensible passion) and regurgitating them in the context of starbucks/resident 'cool accountant' dinner party background music.

Old 06.07.2015, 04:32 AM   #88
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
haven't heard the Jamie XX album - don't really plan to, either -, but I found the Boomkat review hilarious

Quote:
Jamie xx practises safe raving with his debut solo album proper, following a 2011 collaboration with Gil Scott-Heron and production as part of The xx. 'In Colour' posits Jamie as the pre-eminent posh soul boy, lifting and massaging inspiration from the rich heritage of late '80s + early '90s London dance culture and channelling it into a pop-ready format palatable to Radio 1 daytime tastes and festival soundtracks. The putative "soul" of rare groove, boogie, hardcore and early jungle is sucked out and spliced with vocals in feathered arrangements ripened up for students and yummy mummys alike - all under one roof. From the deflated hardcore of 'Gosh' to the trudging 'Girl', it's as seductive as a Waitrose fridge on a warm day, infused with exotic tropical reference points in the steel drums of 'Obvs', mixing the suburban Breaks of latter-day Chicane and Marine Parade with woolly chords right out of a Lamb classic in 'Hold Tight', or nodding to seminal Joss Stone in 'Loud Places'. Oh, it's going to be a great summer, we can just feel it.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2015, 09:04 AM   #89
the end of the ugly

please excuse the shitty idm cover/typeface

sote - arrhythmia

brilliantly structured series of abstract electronic pieces, very much in the vein of autechre's recent work and also referring to the abrasive, dry, exceedingly synthetic work of florian hecker but pieced together in a pretty esoteric fashion, definite songwriterly skills at play here. pure sound supplanting the role of melodics etc.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth