Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Daydream Nation 33 1/3
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.03.2009, 09:38 PM   #1
exploding plastic candle
children of satan

exploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard sucka
Have any of you guys read this little book?

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Youths-D.../dp/B001UFP63A

I bought it at the records tent at Coachella and read it on the plane ride home, it's basically just a song-by-song analysis of DDN with some other sections with interviews and stuff. it's got a cool intro by Lee and some really great passages. My only beef is that it focused way too much on the lyrics. The dude had some pretty good insights about the music and structure here and there, but too often he's just discussing about the significance of lines like "gun yr sled close your peeping toms" and "last night's dream was a talking baby wizard."

but yeah. check it out if you haven't already.
Let's bathe in a cup of dreams and share in a saucy toast
exploding plastic candle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 09:54 PM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I read it and wasn't that into it. From what i remember the author was trying to make some quite grandiose political claims (with lots of attempts to link SY with Public Enemy) which I didn't think worked particularly well. It's a shame because I've read some other books in the 33 1/3 series that I thought were really good.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 10:38 PM   #3
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston was not impressed with some of the claims he made about the lyrical content - particularly Silver Rocket being about cocaine or whatever. He left a bitchy comment on the associated blog. I'll try find it.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 10:45 PM   #4
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
http://33third.blogspot.com/2007/03/...am-nation.html

Here we go.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 11:16 PM   #5
oss
empty page

oss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's asses
I read that book about a month ago. I figured some of it was a bit of a stretch but I still liked it. His passion for the album came through if nothing else.
oss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 11:34 PM   #6
exploding plastic candle
children of satan

exploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here

Wow I can't believe it got published with those lyrics, he had 'em really wrong. Whatever, I thought all his attempts to interpret Thurston's lyrics were actually painful to read and I don't think anyone would really subscribe to any of his ideas though.

I just reread some of the sections, looking back I think I enjoyed this book because I was blasting DDN while reading it.
Let's bathe in a cup of dreams and share in a saucy toast
exploding plastic candle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I read it, but it was a bit of a chore to complete it. I really couldn't care less about all the different interpretations of the lyrics (probably because I don't care for SY's lyrics). Other bits annoyed me too: "In between the tracks, in those spaces, you can hear: the sound of NYC; the sound of disoriented youths etc."
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 12:06 AM   #8
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
"In between the tracks, in those spaces, you can hear: the sound of NYC; the sound of disoriented youths etc."

Jesus Christ! Is that an actual quote?!?!?!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 12:21 AM   #9
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
No, but he did say something along those lines.
Old 06.04.2009, 12:27 AM   #10
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

"Just before the opening guitar strains... in the space of those first few seconds... I swear you can hear the following:
1. New York City
2. An overboiling frustration...
3. The neccessary culmination and...
4. Walls closing in around four people...
etc"
Old 06.04.2009, 05:30 AM   #11
al shabbray

sounds like a cheesy fanboy interpretation of a great album...
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth