Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SYR4: Goodbye 20th century piece of genius or utter crap?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.14.2009, 07:31 PM   #41
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
I have never had a WTF moment with Sonic Youth. One of my earliest purchases was Please Just Leave Me My Paul Desmond by Thurston. That prepared me for anything. Just the way he lets the tape run while he's chilling in the studio is classic. I can't theorize it beyond that.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2009, 11:41 PM   #42
HomelessArtist
little trouble girl

HomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard sucka
I LOVE that record... and this one... and this one...

But I think I was already turned on to possibilities by that Legend of the Blood Yeti cd.. Maybe you need to learn to listen before being able to appreciate it?

HomelessArtist is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2009, 11:50 PM   #43
Perfume-V
empty page

Perfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's asses
I guess I'll be the first in this thread to say that I didn't enjoy the album. It's too experimental for me and doesn't capture what I love about Sonic Youth. Yes, yes SY is experimental, but SYR4 is not my ish. I understand if I were to research the significance of the artists that the album is tributing I would have a founder appreciation for it, but it doesn't compel me to do such a thing so that is where the album fails.
Perfume-V is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2009, 01:05 AM   #44
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
You can't hear the music, you have to listen to it.

John Cage might say something very different to this. Or perhaps not, idk, haha. All I know is, I loved most of the artists covered on SYR4 even before SYR4 came out. And when SYR4 did come out, I came.

To the store.

To buy it.

Quickly.
Old 11.15.2009, 12:11 PM   #45
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
its an amazing record...why is there an argument about that?
Old 11.18.2009, 12:17 PM   #46
magnetmag
empty page

magnetmag has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Neither. Just a good record.
magnetmag is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2009, 12:56 PM   #47
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
John Cage said somewhere (I heard it at ubu.com) that he really dislikes/disliked Glenn Branca. For that reason I compared the slow indeterminacy of Cage with the slow passion (for lack of a better word) of Branca. The two are really different. Which leads me to wonder why or how SY picked up on both of them, especially Cage, since the Branca aesthetic is in their genes (pretty much). I suppose they don't hate on Branca like Cage did. It boggles the mind that the two composers could share the affections of the same group.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth