Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page DR Essential Songs #4: A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.18.2009, 04:18 AM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night (1964)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csMJH1z6qNY

The first time the same single and album had ever held the number one spot in both Britain and America, 'A Hard Day's Night' is also the moment where The Beatles really began to emerge as a force to be taken seriously not just for their popularity but for their creativity.

It's opening chord still raises debate, with no absolute conclusion as to how it was achieved. The instrumental break also showed early signs of the band's interest in studio trickery, with George Martin's piano solo sped up to sound more like a harpsichord.

Either way, it's my Essential Song #4.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2009, 05:00 AM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Words can't express how insufferably irritating I find their voices on this record. I think I'm the only person who hears the Beatles as Scallies. I've a feeling the lower octave on the 'piano solo' may be off on account of that speeding up, something I'd not noticed before.

Horrible.

Sorry, I know they're most blah band ever and all that, I just find it all makes me feel a bit queasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2009, 12:42 AM   #3
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I don't really like this song, but then again, I don't really like early Beatles that much. Except for its opening chord, which is brilliant. And I always thought that the piano solo was a guitar solo.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2009, 01:09 AM   #4
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Early beatles destroys later beatles in my opinion. Though the stuff in the middle (revolver, magical mystery tour, pepper) are the best to my liking.

Don't really like hard days night.

There is no better early beatles song than Please Please Me though. Maybe anna.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2009, 01:20 AM   #5
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
I don't really like this song, but then again, I don't really like early Beatles that much. Except for its opening chord, which is brilliant. And I always thought that the piano solo was a guitar solo.

I think the piano solo does also include George Harrison's guitar on it, but it is dominated by piano.

I think the vocals make it appear on the surface to a bit lot more lightweight than it actually is. The instrumental track always blows me away. It's just utterly relentless in the way that it drives along until that amazing open ending that, despite only lasting a few seconds, seems to predict that whole West Coast Byrds sound perfectly. A definite 'wow' record for me.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth