Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.27.2009, 07:42 PM   #7401
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'm pretty sure the being-scared-of-being-a-dad thing holds up. At least the way I always viewed it. With the sperms and the fucked up baby (Spike) and all.
Old 07.27.2009, 07:50 PM   #7402
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses

Old 07.28.2009, 12:27 AM   #7403
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Seriously though, fugazifan have you seen Satantango?:

I just keep thinking it'd be your favorite film.
will have to check it out. although 7 1/2 hours is extreme, it usually takes me weeks to decide to watch a 3 hour movie.
plus i think im goin g to watch wagners ring cycle and thats 20 hours. but ill try to find it.
thanks!

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 02:50 AM   #7404
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i saw high plains drifter.
wow
amazing
9/10
top five westerns that ive seen.

Old 07.28.2009, 04:39 AM   #7405
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Seriously though, fugazifan have you seen Satantango?:

I just keep thinking it'd be your favorite film.

Sátántangó might well be my favourite film and Béla Tarr might well be my favourite director!... I've only seen Sátántangó twice, each time over a week-end, I don't remember everything, but I really love it. The opening scene with the cows wandering in the empty town, the tango scene, the scene where two characters are walking down the street with a strong wind behind them and garbage flying all over... many images that stay with you. I realise it's probably not everyone's cup of tea, the scenes are very long and one has to be very patient, but it can be very rewarding.

fugazifan, if you are worried about the duration of that movie, maybe you can start first with one of his shorter movies, such as Werckmeister Harmonies or Damnation (that's actually the two only other Béla Tarr movies I've seen!). They also contain very long scenes, but maybe it is more accessible because those films are only between 2 and 3 hours long (I think). Out of the two, my favourite might be Werckmeister Harmonies, perhaps becaus of one scene where the main character teaches a bunch of drunkards the solar system and the mechanism of eclipses by making them act/dance one as the sun, one as the earth, one as the moon, etc (edit - ah, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFmu7BYbthY). There is also a great scene in an hospital later in the movie. But Damnation is really good too, it's just that I have only seen it once, so maybe I have less memories of it.

Also, the music is always great in Béla Tarr movies.
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 05:30 AM   #7406
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o o o
Sátántangó might well be my favourite film and Béla Tarr might well be my favourite director!... I've only seen Sátántangó twice, each time over a week-end, I don't remember everything, but I really love it. The opening scene with the cows wandering in the empty town, the tango scene, the scene where two characters are walking down the street with a strong wind behind them and garbage flying all over... many images that stay with you. I realise it's probably not everyone's cup of tea, the scenes are very long and one has to be very patient, but it can be very rewarding.

fugazifan, if you are worried about the duration of that movie, maybe you can start first with one of his shorter movies, such as Werckmeister Harmonies or Damnation (that's actually the two only other Béla Tarr movies I've seen!). They also contain very long scenes, but maybe it is more accessible because those films are only between 2 and 3 hours long (I think). Out of the two, my favourite might be Werckmeister Harmonies, perhaps becaus of one scene where the main character teaches a bunch of drunkards the solar system and the mechanism of eclipses by making them act/dance one as the sun, one as the earth, one as the moon, etc (edit - ah, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFmu7BYbthY). There is also a great scene in an hospital later in the movie. But Damnation is really good too, it's just that I have only seen it once, so maybe I have less memories of it.

Also, the music is always great in Béla Tarr movies.

Haha, wasn't expecting anyone to post something like this!

I've only seen Satantango and Harmonies and both were great. I need to get some more Tarr. Satantango certainly doesn't feel like a 7 1/2 hour movie... The scene with the two men walking with the trash blowing around is one of the best scenes I've ever seen. The scenes with the cat are probably the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen. And then there's so much beauty in the film... some of the most beautiful images I've ever seen.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 06:40 AM   #7407
fugazifan
invito al cielo

ASP have you seen landscape in the mist? i saw it last week and was blown away, i think youd really like it

Old 07.28.2009, 06:58 AM   #7408
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
never heard of it.

just netflix-queued it, it'll be here soon.

thanks!

Old 07.28.2009, 07:16 AM   #7409
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)

no one is "right" when it comes to lynch, though.

yessah. I am.
Old 07.28.2009, 07:51 AM   #7410
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses

it was alright
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 07:55 AM   #7411
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Just saw Inferno by Dario Argento. Not bad at all, though I feel guilty for getting off on some of his tricks. Whether you love or hate cats, it will push your buttons. There is mythology sort of, but mostly it's just mindfuckery. Great sets and arty misogyny of course.
speaking of dario argento have you seen jenifer? that is a fucking weird ass movie and i didn't think it was very good but it kept my attention for sure.
Old 07.28.2009, 07:57 AM   #7412
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Didn't like Jennifer, didn't like Inferno (aside from the colors).

I do like Argento a lot, though. Tenebre and Deep Red are two of my all time favorite films.

Old 07.28.2009, 08:01 AM   #7413
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Invocation of My Demon Brother. 11/10

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 08:01 AM   #7414
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
jennifer was a fucking cheesefest wasnt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Invocation of My Demon Brother. 11/10

soooooooo goooooooood
Old 07.28.2009, 08:04 AM   #7415
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Invocation of My Demon Brother is one of the best, definitely.

Old 07.28.2009, 08:07 AM   #7416
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Here's the thing about Argento. I saw Opera and was like OMG! BEST DIRECTOR EVER! Then saw Susperia. Which is awesome. Then I saw a dozen of his films that were nice looking, but ultimately shitty films. So...
Old 07.28.2009, 08:27 AM   #7417
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, Opera's the first one i saw, and I love it.

I like most of his output, though all his recent works have been awful (aside from the surprisingly underrated "Third Mother", which isn't a good film by any stretch of the imagination -- but is entertaining, something films like "Sleepless" aren't).

I find Suspiria overrated, aside from the opening death and the oversaturated colors.

Old 07.28.2009, 08:33 AM   #7418
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I like Supseria a lot. But it's no Opera.

Like you said most of his new films (The Card Player! Do You Like Hitchcock! Jennifer! Pelts! etc) are pretty garbage. But then again, really think about The Hatchet Murders, or Phenomenon, or Phantom Of The Opera, etc. He's really a good director of photography. But it's so boring to see someone base their film career on attempting to just add a lot of blood to 2nd rate mystery scripts in the style-o' Hitch.

and again. They're nice to look at. Enough so that I've seen a bulk of them.
Old 07.28.2009, 08:52 AM   #7419
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I think, essentially, what I like about the guy, he's making art-horror films. Or he was. And I gotta give the guy credit for never totally selling out... he's made horror films almost exclusively.

But, yeah, let's look at Tenebre: What a beautiful work of art. I mean, really. The colors, the direction, that one 3 minute shot of a camera swooping all around the house... I definitely see a Hitchcockian vibe (you know, aside from him actually having a film called DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK?), but I dunno, his films just aren't that dramatic or suspensful. Instead, he's more concerned with artful murder scenes... art horror, yeah.

I think a lot of his films are a bit "lost in translation", though. Because there'll often be some incredibly dumb dialogue here or there that has me scratching my head. A lot of his films are incredibly obvious, too.

I think "Stendhal Syndrome" is another underrated gem. This one has 3D bullets, odd shots of pills being swallowed, and people entering paintings. It's a bit too long, though.

"Deep Red"/"The Hatchet Murder"/"Profondo Rosso" just amazes me, though. That one has this amazing atmosphere.. with the colors and direction.. I dunno. Something about that one.. I can't put my finger on it, but I love it. I've bought 4 copies of it in my lifetime, in fact

Argento is definitely a very frustrating director. It seems like he doesn't even know his own strengths and weaknesses, and his films are often overlong and indulgent. I've noticed that many films have logical endings -- but then he often will tack on more after the ending to make a "real" ending (see: Opera, Creepers/Phenonemon/Stendhal for examples). He definitely stretches out his worst scenes for too long, and he just kinda skirts around the truly brilliant scenes. Still, when he's on, he's on, and he actually kinda surprises me sometimes. For example, "Trauma", in particular, surprised me with its violence. He's an interesting director, though I think he's an awful storyteller.

He also was one of the 4 writers on one of my all time favorite films, Once Upon a Time in the West.

Old 07.28.2009, 09:26 AM   #7420
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Argento is definitely a very frustrating director. It seems like he doesn't even know his own strengths and weaknesses, and his films are often overlong and indulgent. I've noticed that many films have logical endings -- but then he often will tack on more after the ending to make a "real" ending (see: Opera, Creepers/Phenonemon/Stendhal for examples). He definitely stretches out his worst scenes for too long, and he just kinda skirts around the truly brilliant scenes. Still, when he's on, he's on, and he actually kinda surprises me sometimes. For example, "Trauma", in particular, surprised me with its violence. He's an interesting director, though I think he's an awful storyteller.

Hell yes.
I think his "problem" is that he doesn't think too much about the audience. Not that he does not aim to "please" his fans or anything like that, but I think he focuses more on the pleasures/difficulties of directing rather than on the pleasure/difficulties those who will watch the finished movie will experience.

Still some reeeeeally nice movies, some others with reeeeeally nice scenes/colours/shots, his latest output suffers a bit from the different techniques imo..I mean, more modern film/lighting (at least i think so) etc kinda detracts some of the appeal older movies had, while being basically pretty similar on a pure filological pov.

I'm glad a bunch of italian "horror" directors are still appreciated for nice things other than the more "splatter" scenes.

does this make sense?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
321361368369370 371 372373374381421471871 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth