Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page mark e smith slags off sonic youth (again)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.09.2007, 03:49 PM   #41
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I thought it was good. Certainly not great. The problem was that the good songs were really good, and the bad songs were really bad... so you ended up with just a middle of the road record when you thought about it as a whole. But I still look forward to their next.

Yeah i think thats why i was put off by it initally, "Reformation" is really a poor mans "Blindness". But theres songs like Scenario which are fantastic. Couldve done with some trimming i think

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 03:57 PM   #42
nick2767
bad moon rising

nick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, he's a bit of drunken old fool and Fall gigs in recent years have been more miss than hit but I think the new line up has given him a lease of life. I saw the Fall in March and it was up there with some of the best I've seen over the 20 odd years I've been a fan of the mighty Fall.

MES is a fucking genius (and an ace wind up merchant!) and that's all there is to say.
nick2767 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 04:05 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Rob, explain to me how my statement is ridiculous, yet you haven't even heard the Fall.

It's not an opinion, a FACT: The Fall have more GREAT albums than sonic youth. They happen to have more albums, period, this is true -- but they have a wide, wide group of albums that are consistently amazing.

so the Fall have more GREAT (your word) albums than Sonic Youth?

BAD MOON RISING
CONFUSION
EVOL
SISTER
DAYDREAM NATION

those are my choices for GREAT sonic youth albums, and I love them all.

what are the GREAT Fall albums? and by GREAT I mean influential, no filler, pinnacle of the band's output kind of thing.
Old 11.09.2007, 04:11 PM   #44
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
There's no winning this argument -- if you haven't even heard The Fall!

"Influence" and how "great" an album is are two different things -- not to mention that, while I really enjoy the albums you listed, calling those albums (except Confusion and Sister) "fillerless" is a bit much.

I'm not going to debate this, I just wonder how you can come to the conclusion that my statement is ridiculous when you haven't even heard The Fall. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you really have no idea what you're talking about: I've heard 100% of what Sonic Youth has done and probably 85% of what The Fall has done. So, I know what I'm talking about... I think, all in all, the Fall is a better band. Not by much. But yeah.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 04:18 PM   #45
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
For the record, here are my 10 favorite Fall records:

1. Nation's Saving Grace
2. The Peel Sessions
3. Hex Enduction Hour
4. Grotesque
5. Dragnet
6. Perverted By Language
7. Real New Fall
8. The Light User Syndrome
9. Room to Live
10. Live at the Witch Trials

Whoo, that took some thinking...

NOTE: EDITED TO REFLECT MY NEWFOUND LOVE OF DRAGNET!

Old 11.09.2007, 04:34 PM   #46
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Come on guys, is it really that important to determine whether Sonic Youth or The Fall is the most important? I mean, those are obviously two great bands that have made a lot of masterpieces, why try to compare themselves (Sonic Youth obviously wins =D)? Enjoy the music...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 06:41 PM   #47
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
i tried to watch the video but i can't understand what he's saying. i've always read that mark e smith is a real jackass, so i never even bothered to listen to the fall. although i think it's funny that 2 days ago SY changed their myspace quote thingy to "we love the fall", lol. i wonder if they meant the band to piss him off, or the season, since it's fall/autumn now. or maybe it's a double entrendre? either way, it's funny.

ps-there's no way the fall is better than sonic youth... becuz their the greatest band to ever grace this earthly plane w/ their presence! i'm sure we all know that.

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 07:46 PM   #48
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
yes, pr-tlc is a very long record, i like the more kraut moments of it, i guess, and, to me at least, the so so to bad songs go by quite quickly and unnoticeable.

i myself think that the fact that the person behind the music is a jerk doesn't affect the his/her talents and skills, so i tend to separate the person from the music (and seriously, who can say they listen to music done 100% exclusively by nice people?). mark e smith is an asshole, and an entertaining one at that.

and for the record, not only are sonic youth fans of the fall, the are also greatly influenced by them, if not overtly, they are in many details.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 07:48 PM   #49
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
i still say bollocks to the fall... i've never listened to em before and i won't be starting anytime soon.

Old 11.09.2007, 08:00 PM   #50
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
good for you.

why do people flaunt their refusal to listen to a band so much? it's actually your loss because you might be missing out on your new favorite band.

(and just in case, i could give a fuck if anyone listens to the fall, i love them and probably know like 3 other people who know them in real life, doesn't change my appreciation for the music).
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 01:02 AM   #51
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Anyway, funny thing is that you (avantgarde and Rob) try to compare two bands, when you've never heard anything by one. avantgarde: forget Mark E Smith and listen to The Fall. Really that's not that hard, and I'm sure you'll like it (Perverted By Language is their best in my opinion). Personnally, I find Mark E Smith really funny now...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 01:41 PM   #52
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
For the record, here are my 10 favorite Fall records:

1. Nation's Saving Grace
2. The Peel Sessions
3. Hex Enduction Hour
4. Grotesque
5. Totale's Turns
6. Perverted By Language
7. Real New Fall
8. Are You Missing Winner
9. Dragnet
10. Live at the Witch Trials

Whoo, that took some thinking...

for whats its worth here is my top 10 fall releases.....
1. the complete peel sessions box set- essential for a fan or a newcomer
2. perverted by language- it has garden and eat yerself fitter
3. hex enduction hour- hey there fuckface....
4. fall heads roll- 29th album and totally rockin, blindness greatest ever fall song
5. dragnet- ive been in the pub too long....
6. nations savings grace- a hit fest classic
7. live at the witch trials- we are the fall
8. the light user syndrome- underrated and forgotten
9. country on the click- english chelsea fans, this is your last game, we are not galatasary we are sparta f.c.......genius! elenas first album too.
10.grotesque- noisy and abrasive.... like mark himself....

if all else fails, get the compilation 50000 fall fans cant be wrong, its damn good!
Old 11.10.2007, 01:43 PM   #53
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2767
Yes, he's a bit of drunken old fool and Fall gigs in recent years have been more miss than hit but I think the new line up has given him a lease of life. I saw the Fall in March and it was up there with some of the best I've seen over the 20 odd years I've been a fan of the mighty Fall.

MES is a fucking genius (and an ace wind up merchant!) and that's all there is to say.

saw them last summer and they were fantastic. noisy and so dead pan. marks fooling around with the drum kit when the drummer fluffed a roll was hilarious. totally totally life affirming show. i went to see them 3 tears ago in dublin and the fucker never showed up for the gig.....
Old 11.10.2007, 02:08 PM   #54
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
"we love the fall". it says so on the sy myspace.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 02:20 PM   #55
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
"we love the fall". it says so on the sy myspace.

moshe youre getting slow like my grandpa.
i posted this aaaaaaaaaages ago

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 02:27 PM   #56
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Anyway, funny thing is that you (avantgarde and Rob) try to compare two bands, when you've never heard anything by one. avantgarde: forget Mark E Smith and listen to The Fall. Really that's not that hard, and I'm sure you'll like it (Perverted By Language is their best in my opinion). Personnally, I find Mark E Smith really funny now...

actually from what i've read mark e smith IS the fall... everyone who's ever been in his band has either quit or gotten fired, and he's the only consistent person in the band. and i'm not comparing 2 bands... i'm simply saying one of them is very good and i've never heard the other. and i've never listened to them becuz the guys a dick, and i don't listen to bands that have dickheads as the iron fisted ruler.

Old 11.10.2007, 02:41 PM   #57
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
moshe youre getting slow like my grandpa.
i posted this aaaaaaaaaages ago

oops.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2007, 03:18 PM   #58
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde1
........and i've never heard the other. and i've never listened to them becuz the guys a dick.....

no offence here at all sir but hats a lame excuse not to have listened to a bad. you must only listen to about 5 acts then? as for arguing the toss about the fall if you havent ever heard them?? thats like arguing politics when you dont go and vote... listen to them, you may be suprised...........

im sure you are not a closed minded person so what harm will it do, i cant understan your antiness for a band youve never heard. they arent coldplay or james fuckin blunt!
Old 11.10.2007, 05:40 PM   #59
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh shit, I've never heard Falls Head Rolls.

Old 11.10.2007, 06:49 PM   #60
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

Quote:
Oh shit, I've never heard Falls Head Rolls.

man, amazing album....... has blindness and what about us. 2 of the finest fall songs since garden and eat yerself fitter.....

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth