Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.04.2014, 04:29 PM   #17861
an evening with viewtiful
bad moon rising

an evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I like the weirdness that was Paprika
Somehow that's my least favorite Satoshi Kon movie. Perhaps I'd have liked it more had I seen it before Inception. Even though Paprika came first, my familiarity with the basic concept robbed it of some of the essential novelty/bewilderment.
an evening with viewtiful is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2014, 04:36 PM   #17862
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Ahh I felt the same way about Inception, but backwards! I found Inception very boring.
Old 04.04.2014, 04:36 PM   #17863
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by an evening with viewtiful
Pom Poko was made by the same studio (Ghibli). At this point I was talking about Laputa and Castle of Cagliostro

ah! okay. i missed the leap a bit. thanks!--

ps- i'll check out pom poko!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2014, 04:44 PM   #17864
bad moon rising

an evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ah! okay. i missed the leap a bit. thanks!--

ps- i'll check out pom poko!
Awesome! It's very different from Miyazaki's work, but I think it's just as enjoyable.
Let me know what you think.
Old 04.04.2014, 05:54 PM   #17865
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Awesome! It's very different from Miyazaki's work, but I think it's just as enjoyable.
Let me know what you think.

i read the netflix blurb and the premise sounds awesome. it's coming soon!
Old 04.05.2014, 05:24 AM   #17866
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Have you stumbled into Pom Poko yet?
Sheer magic.

For some reason I thought you were talking about Ponyo?! I have seen Pom Poko and yes it was really good, festival scene is superbness. There's some creepy parts too (Raccoon impersonating human) differentiating this from other Ghibli's. Definitely one of the best.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2014, 05:31 AM   #17867
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That's my all time favorite (aside from Castle of Cagliostro). I think both that and Cagliostro are the perfect cross section of his Disney/Hitchock influences, with Laputa having more of his unique vision.

Yea Castle Of Cagliostro was surprising, I didn't think the studio would produce something so good in the early beginnings (this being Miyazaki's directorial debut) and hit the ground running. I know they made things before this (although not as Ghibli) but i'm yet see any.
Old 04.05.2014, 06:55 AM   #17868
Diesel
the destroyed room

On Mayazaki, I watched Nausicaa and it's many random up-the-skirt shot scenes which just seemed weird and out of place. I mean, there's an animator sitting at his desk for hours on end drawing these perverted knicker shots to be included in this PG rated apparently innocent film. Although, maybe i'm just a massive racist towards animators because I've sat through the 4 hour long knicker-shot fest that is Love Exposure and felt no resentment: and i'm the real perv wanting live film shots. On Nausicaa though I thought it wasn't that well animated and looked bland (however, I think this was the point in this post-apocalyptic world) albeit through my unjudgeable post 8 hour bender eyes.
Old 04.05.2014, 02:01 PM   #17869
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Bling Ring

Absolutely love this. Brilliant. Emma Watson is laugh out loud funny. "I wanna lead a country one day, for all I know"
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2014, 06:53 PM   #17870
bad moon rising

7.5/10

The acting leaves a lot to be desired almost all the way around. That said, this is one hell of an action blockbuster and well worth seeing if you've enjoyed any of the comic book movies, as this is one of the best in recent memory.
Old 04.05.2014, 08:15 PM   #17871
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
On Mayazaki, I watched Nausicaa and it's many random up-the-skirt shot scenes which just seemed weird and out of place. I mean, there's an animator sitting at his desk for hours on end drawing these perverted knicker shots to be included in this PG rated apparently innocent film. Although, maybe i'm just a massive racist towards animators because I've sat through the 4 hour long knicker-shot fest that is Love Exposure and felt no resentment: and i'm the real perv wanting live film shots. On Nausicaa though I thought it wasn't that well animated and looked bland (however, I think this was the point in this post-apocalyptic world) albeit through my unjudgeable post 8 hour bender eyes.

Naussica is an unfaithful adaptation of a comic book, which is weird that it would be an unfaithful adaption because the book is also by miyazaki. the book is a lot better than the film.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nausicaa-Val...words=nausicaa
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2014, 08:46 AM   #17872
Diesel
the destroyed room

^I never knew, Thanks. I see the main protagonist is moderately dressed on the cover, one obviously musn't judge by the cover but still it's there: i'm guessing Miyazaki probably won't be commenting on it writing 'there she goes on her flying hovercraft dodging the monsters and bullets, incidentally wearing the whitest of knickers with not a blemish in sight bought from the latest Primark summer range'.

Seven volumes crammed into one 2 hour film seems overly ambitious and would start shedding light on why the film didn't work.
Old 04.06.2014, 04:01 PM   #17873
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
The film is more or less the first volume of the comic but with a different ending that makes less sense to the story overall than the one in the book.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2014, 11:34 PM   #17874
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ didn't know it was a comic! thanks! (buy i don't remember any panties).
--
anyway, watched

THE GREAT BEAUTY

WOW. no, this photo doesn't really capture it. this photo has little to do with the movie. beautiful movie though. think of la dolce vita if marcello had more grace and charm and had stayed with the rich friends and had written the novel the never did. really, something else. makes america looks like the fucking wild west it still is.

speaking of the wild west i also saw

DALLAS BUYERS CLUB

SPOILER WARNING, OF A KIND…

great story and great performance, but was disappointed to learn that the real ron woodroof was actually bisexual not straight as depicted in the film. guess that's what it takes to make you eligible for an oscar. boo, hollywood, boo! but still great movie in many ways, don't let my spoiler ruin you, watch it.

SPOILER END
Old 04.07.2014, 10:47 AM   #17875
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
--
anyway, watched

THE GREAT BEAUTY

WOW. no, this photo doesn't really capture it. this photo has little to do with the movie. beautiful movie though. think of la dolce vita if marcello had more grace and charm and had stayed with the rich friends and had written the novel the never did. really, something else. makes america looks like the fucking wild west it still is.

I loved that movie!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2014, 06:51 AM   #17876
lo-fi suicide
bad moon rising

lo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.08.2014, 10:46 AM   #17877
bad moon rising

Quote:
--
anyway, watched

THE GREAT BEAUTY

I saw this at an art museum and it got a standing ovation from it's older/intellectual crowd at the end. No small feat.
I fucking love this movie though, the second after I left the theater I preordered the Blu Ray, I've already watched it twice since getting it in the mail.
Old 04.08.2014, 11:51 AM   #17878
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I loved that movie!

it's fucking magnificent. was going to tell you something but i'll go on after this:

Quote:
I saw this at an art museum and it got a standing ovation from it's older/intellectual crowd at the end. No small feat.
I fucking love this movie though, the second after I left the theater I preordered the Blu Ray, I've already watched it twice since getting it in the mail.

normally when i get something off netflix i'll be in a hurry to return it so i can get more stuff. this one i cannot part with-- i'm holding on to it and i'll be rewatching this week. i'm sure i'll be re-queing it soon after i send it back.

only thing i didn't get was the ramona storyline. yes, i got what happened and i saw the dad later but i didn't get jep's reaction afterwards or anything really. as if some footage had been cut maybe. puzzled me a bit. maybe i missed something (he does mention it, later, in a conversation with someone, but it's not the same.)

but anyway, fantastic stuff. the interview with the performance artist was superhilarious. everything was great, really. nothing was as expected-- i love that in a movie, the avoidance of cliches. with hollywood movies i can always tell you what's going to happen next. and what amazing camera work, hot damn.

i had never before heard of paolo sorrentino. now i have to watch everything he's done before-- which can't be as great as this, but still… and he's got a movie coming up, plus one segment in another.
Old 04.08.2014, 12:08 PM   #17879
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Blitz - based on the Ken Bruen book. I always enjoy Jason Statham but he really seemed to be phoning it in with this one. Inspector Brandt by Bruen has a LOT of personality and Statham's has none.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2014, 12:26 PM   #17880
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
One False Move - 1992 - Carl Franklin
The big names were not that big then, and have a bit deflated now: Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton (who cowrote the script).
That's a brilliant film noir, classically shot, with a well balanced story that blends perfectly the usual (the difference between an LA cop and a cop from a little town in Arkansas) and the not-so-usual-in-a-movie... The whole thing seems plausible, and all characters seem to be treated on par. A beauty.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
794844884891892893 894 895896897904944994 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth